Author Topic: Gunslinger finish  (Read 12324 times)

Offline wdbarbe

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Gunslinger finish
« on: December 29, 2005, 06:28:44 PM »
Does anyone know if the finish on the Gunslinger is any more or less durable than the standard finish?
Thanks,
BB

Offline Capt. John Fitzgerald

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 34
Re: Gunslinger finish
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2005, 08:42:44 PM »
As it is a "pre-worn" finish, my guess (and only a guess) would be that it is less durable than the standard finish.  It would certainly be less protective.
And while we are on the subject...  What is the general opinion of these "instant antique" finishes?  Making a gun look like something that it is not.  Personally, I think that they cheapen the image that USFA has worked so hard to create.  I firmly believe that USFA is currently producing some of the finest single actions ever made.  They should be proud of what they are, a new gun manufacturer, and leave the fake antique look to the Italian imports.  You don't see Colt turning out these pre-worn finishes so why should USFA do it? 
You can't change the wind, but you can always change your sails.

Offline Virginia Gentleman

• Top Active Citizen
  • Here's a McRib for Allah
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 24
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2005, 08:46:24 PM »
I kinda think it is a scam in that they (any company) can actually charge the same or more for a gun that looks like the finish is ruined.  I doubt the guns of the old west looked like they were 130 years old, 130 years ago, besides, I would like to age it as it gets used over the years.  Just my 2 cents.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 11:03:39 PM »

Offline Capt. John Fitzgerald

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 34
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2005, 08:51:38 PM »
Another good point VG!  If you are trying to look like an "authentic" 1885 cowboy, the finish on your SA shouldn't look more than 12 years old at the most.
You can't change the wind, but you can always change your sails.

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2005, 09:06:31 PM »
I guess black powder, hard use and neglect might make the gun look bad, but most people I know from yesteryear, always took care of their guns and so did their grandfathers.  I personally know one guy who is 90 who has his grandfathers' Colt 5 1/2" barrel in .45 Colt that was originally shot with black powder. His grandfather carried the gun as a ranch hand and then as a postal clerk on the rail road.  The gun looks great with about 75% of the original 1880s case colors and bluing left.  The grips have a few dents, but still look great.   The case colors are a bit faded, the bluing has some holster wear and patina on the grip frame, but otherwise it isn't worn out at all.  In fact, it looks better overall than some use CAS guns from the modern day and nothing like the "aged" finish that the Italian imports and US FA are offering.  His gun looks more authentic to me than these pre worn guns that are being offered.  In fact, I talked him into letting me clean the gun and had him agree it is a relic and not a shooter.  He used to shoot it with Remington Green Box .45 Colt smokeless loads until 1990 or so.  There wasn't any wear or damage and it cleaned up surprisingly well with no rust pits inside or out.  It locked up fairly tight for a gun that old too.  Anyway, I personally won't pay for a beat up gun like the gunslinger when you can get a nice US FA instead. :D

Offline Duke Nukem

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2005, 11:09:46 AM »
I considered getting the Gunslinger, but when I found ou they were charging more for that finish/ or lack of finish I went against it. I also was thinking why get a a gun that is antiqued.
1) You can easily do it yourself and the cost is minimum.
2) Why do it as the guns of the times would appear to be fairly new and not antiquated.

On the other hand my hats off to USFA. As not everyone thinks like me and people are buying them.
USFA is doing this to compete with the European manufacturers to broaden their market place and perhaps attempt to be at the top of a niche market. USFA is still trying to make a name for itself. If this is a short term fad in 10 -30 years we my all wish we had one as it may be very valuable due to its rarity. If it takes off USFA will be the top quality best manufacturer using this technique. IMHO their antique finsish looks better then anything else I have seen out there.

As far as Durability dose it realy matter if you get one that is antiqued. It will actually get becoe more antiqued and age more over time. If it rusts it adds to its character  ;D

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2005, 12:19:31 PM »
Yeah, if you must have an aged gun, do it yourself or just use it alot and it will get there on it's own.  To pay more for this finish, seems absurd.  USFA is really fast becoming the recognized aas the industry leader for authenticity and quality for SAAs.   The fact is their product looks, works and feels better than the competition and it looks like they want to get in on the action of the aged look.  Colt, well, they are going their own way and to me it doesn't look like a good one.

Offline deucedaddyj

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2005, 12:39:41 PM »
Yeah, I agree fully on the antiqued thing. I think it's kind of goofy. Has anybody noticed that the "store bought wear" trend has been growing popular on other things lately. I've seen knives that are this way, and if anybody likes guitars, there's a huge market for "aged" guitars. I think it's much better to let it age naturally, or at least ade it yourself.

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2005, 02:03:44 PM »
Yeah, I agree fully on the antiqued thing. I think it's kind of goofy. Has anybody noticed that the "store bought wear" trend has been growing popular on other things lately. I've seen knives that are this way, and if anybody likes guitars, there's a huge market for "aged" guitars. I think it's much better to let it age naturally, or at least ade it yourself.

Aged stuff is the old saying of "Beauty is in the Eye of the Beholder" and so be it.  For a young guy in the hobby, I am curious what kind of guns have you been able to add to your collection?

Offline J.D. Yellowhammer

• Top Active Citizen
  • Great-great-grandaddy Mack Cullars, 1864, CSA vet.
    • Being constructed as we speak...
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2005, 02:38:13 PM »
Ya'll have ignored one major consideration in buying a Gunslinger: cost.  We can't all afford over $1000-$3000 for premium models.  I set out to buy a Rodeo because everything I heard said USFA is the best.  It would have been a stretch to pay for a R.  But I couldn't find a Rodeo anywhere.  So the next best thing that I could (barely) afford was a Gunslinger (I got a great deal on it). 

Basically, I don't care as much about how it looks than I do how it shoots.  If I come into some money I might send it to Turnbull's.  Until then, I'll just have to look goofy.

JD
Lunarian, n.  An inhabitant of the moon, as distinguished from Lunatic, one whom the moon inhabits. (Ambrose Bierce).  Which one are you?

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2005, 03:23:36 PM »
Hey atleast you are goofy with a USFA, the best SAA being made today! ;D  I have heard Rodeos can be a bit hard to find sometimes.  That finish doesn't excite me either, but it too could be aged.  What USFA should bring back is their polished all blue model with the in the white sided hammer.  They could charge a bit more for the polishing, but not the same for the Turnbull case colors.  They used to have that model when they were USPFA.

Offline J.D. Yellowhammer

• Top Active Citizen
  • Great-great-grandaddy Mack Cullars, 1864, CSA vet.
    • Being constructed as we speak...
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2005, 06:51:16 PM »
I didn't think I'd like the Rodeo finish, but holding it in my hand (especially with the aged ivory grips) I have to say I like it a lot.  Besides, like you say, it's a USFA!

I've found Rodeos to be scarce but there seem to be a lot of Gunslingers around. In this area, at least (AZ).  USFA is probably holding up on Rodeos in order to sell more of the Gunslinger runs.

To answer the original poster's question about the finish--no, it isn't very durable.  I've cleaned the Gunslinger twice, the last time with a little Hoppes 9, and I believe I'm seeing more bare metal.  Trouble is, I never remember to look at the finish before and after...but I really think it's different.
Lunarian, n.  An inhabitant of the moon, as distinguished from Lunatic, one whom the moon inhabits. (Ambrose Bierce).  Which one are you?

Offline Guano

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2005, 07:39:17 PM »
I can't say that I've had any first hand experience with the Gunslinger finish, but to me it looks like an antiqued Rodeo finish. If so, it makes me wonder as to the large difference in price. ???

Offline deucedaddyj

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2005, 11:46:04 PM »
For a young guy in the hobby, I am curious what kind of guns have you been able to add to your collection?

I'm not really against antiqued finishes, I just htink it's a bit silly to pay extra for what time will do naturally, or you can do yourself. I have a friend who has a Heritage Roughrider .22 mag revolver. That things a tack nailer, but he thought the finish loooked cheap. He was about to sell it and buy a New Model Bearcat, which isn't a bad gun by any means. I told him before doing that, let me refinidh it for you. I stripped the finish with some Birchwood Casey Blue and Rust remover ad reblued it to make it look a little aged. It was apparantly nice enough to make my friend chage his mind, and that made me feel useful.

Anyways, I don't have a large collection, and I surely don't have any USFA's (although they're on my list). What I do have is a Ruger Super Blackhawk in .44 mag (what else?) and an old Uberti Cattleman. I had another Iver Johnson/Uberti Cattleman from the 70's but I gave it to a friend as a gift. I also have my eyes on a Walker. I wouldn't mind owning a Gunslinger or a Rodeo, but I'd probably refinish them. The Rodeo for sure.

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2006, 01:03:26 PM »
I'm not really against antiqued finishes, I just htink it's a bit silly to pay extra for what time will do naturally, or you can do yourself. I have a friend who has a Heritage Roughrider .22 mag revolver. That things a tack nailer, but he thought the finish loooked cheap. He was about to sell it and buy a New Model Bearcat, which isn't a bad gun by any means. I told him before doing that, let me refinidh it for you. I stripped the finish with some Birchwood Casey Blue and Rust remover ad reblued it to make it look a little aged. It was apparantly nice enough to make my friend chage his mind, and that made me feel useful.

Anyways, I don't have a large collection, and I surely don't have any USFA's (although they're on my list). What I do have is a Ruger Super Blackhawk in .44 mag (what else?) and an old Uberti Cattleman. I had another Iver Johnson/Uberti Cattleman from the 70's but I gave it to a friend as a gift. I also have my eyes on a Walker. I wouldn't mind owning a Gunslinger or a Rodeo, but I'd probably refinish them. The Rodeo for sure.

I agree on the antique finishes, if anything they should charge less since all they do is pre-stress the parts and put them together.  You have a better collection than what I started out with and the Cattleman is still a very good SAA copy.  Your friend is a lucky guy to have you as a friend, my friends seem to like to give me grief at the range.  :D I like the real SAAs and don't have a need for a ROOGER. The rodeo is the best value for the money right now and as you pointed out you could always age it yourself for free.   

Offline deucedaddyj

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2006, 01:11:06 PM »
Yeah, the SAA
I like the real SAAs and don't have a need for a ROOGER. The rodeo is the best value for the money right now and as you pointed out you could always age it yourself for free.

Yeah, that's my big problem! I like Rugers, but I also know they're not historically accurate. Since my Rugers has target sights, I wouldn't use it for CAS anyways, but it is a great gun. Lately I've been considering a USFA a lot. I might just get a Gunslinger or a Rodeo. It'd really be great if you could add a bit of money to the gun and they'd offer it in a nickle of blued finish instead of the natte black or aged finish. They're a bit out of my price range, but I'll eventually get one. Until then, I'll make due with an Italian clone, I guess. :( ;)

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2006, 01:40:11 PM »
The Rodeo is a good buy and not that much more than the Italian clones at shows if you can find them.  If you found one used you could do even better, the problem is finding one used.  Nothing wrong with the clones and I own a few, but the US Fire Arms guns are just that much better for the money.  I could basically buy anything I want, but for my money US FA is the best and most beautiful in my opinion.

Offline Doc Sunrise

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2006, 08:22:22 PM »
The Rodeo is a great gun, but it does not seem to be tuned as well as the premium SAA, as it is a less expensive gun.  The Gunslinger is tuned more to what a premium SAA is, and has a unique finish that actually gets better with use.  It is not that the Gunslinger is a gun at a higher cost because of a lesser finish, it is close to a premium SAA on the inside with a different finish that is less expensive than the Color Case Hardened and Dome Blue finish.  I have one of the Custer guns in a Gunslinger finish, and it is fantastic.  The more it gets used and rubbed, the more silvery steel looking it gets, almost as if it were a great old gun that saw a lot of action, but was well taken care of.  Also note that the finish does not effect the inside parts, so it remains with a smooth action.

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2006, 10:12:36 AM »
Even with paying extra for an action job for $150.00 you are still way ahead with the Rodeo and aging it yourself.  Sorry guys, I just can't swallow this one, how you can pay extra for a gun with a distressed finish when you could get one that looks brand new for the same money.

Offline LazyK Pejay

• Top Active Citizen
  • "I'm ordering you to volunteer again Sgt. Tyree...
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2006, 10:24:08 AM »
It looks to me that the "Gunfighter" finish is the same as the "Millinium" finish.

LazyK Pejay

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com