Author Topic: '63 Military Rifle  (Read 2005 times)

Offline PJ Hardtack

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
'63 Military Rifle
« on: January 20, 2016, 06:22:53 PM »
I decided it was time to play with my Farmingdale .50 '63 Military Rifle. It doesn't get enough attention.

After shooting a so-so five shot 3-1/2" off hand group at 50m with an ungloved hand, a guy shooting a 22-250 from the bench at 100m saw me taking aim at the 10" x 12" 100m gong, again off hand. Comment - "You're kidding, right?"

I let the rifle answer - "Bang! Clang!" five times in a row. Love that rifle!  He wasn't laughing any more, and  I quit. My paw was cold.
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do these things to others and I require the same from them."  John Wayne

Offline Good Troy

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 98102
  • NCOWS #: 3791
  • GAF #: 835
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 23
Re: '63 Military Rifle
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2016, 08:06:52 AM »
Nice shooting, and way to represent!!

I get a kick out of telling folks that I have an original assualt rifle....then I present my trapdoor carbine, and grin at the look of confusion on their face   ;D
Good Troy
AKA Dechali, and Has No Horses
SASS#98102
GAF#835
NCOWS#3791
SSS#638

Offline PJ Hardtack

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2016, 09:46:28 AM »
Had I been able to operate the rifle longer with an ungloved hand, I would have shot at the 200m gong, but from a sitting position or the bench. I know from experience that is well able to reach that from a '63 postal match I got into with three American '63 shooters; one with a carbine, one Garrett and a Pedersoli.

We shot at 50-100-150-200 yds, the first two distances off hand, x-sticks or bench thereafter. None of us knew what to expect as we all thought of our '63s as 100 yd plinkers. We were all surprised at their accuracy.

I still have the shoot rules. We called it the "S.H.I.T. Shoot" - 'Sharps Hounourable Invitational Target Shoot'. We were all mailed the targets and sent them to one of the US shooters for scoring.

One of the participants was a paraplegic in a wheel chair who did well against the rifles. I placed third.
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do these things to others and I require the same from them."  John Wayne

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 06:10:27 PM »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com