Author Topic: STUCK GAS SLEEVE IN A '63 I.A.B. SHARPS  (Read 2049 times)

Offline WV Scrounger

• Top Active Citizen
  • HILLBILLY
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
STUCK GAS SLEEVE IN A '63 I.A.B. SHARPS
« on: July 27, 2008, 07:56:36 PM »
I have a stuck gas sleeve in a '63 I.A.B. sharps buisness rifle. I got it on a trade and the owner said he only shot it once...
I disassembled the gas plate on the block and it has a small amount of BP residue under the plate... I want to make sure the gas sleeve was cleaned  before I take it out to shoot....But the gas sleeve wont budge... I sprayed both ends of the sleeve every hour on the hour for 2 days and inserted the Pedersoli extractor tool then tightened with a pipe wrench....I inserted a 1/2" steel rod down the barrel and hammered it HARD....the extractor fell out.
 then....I put the EL Cheapo extractor tool ( the one that is made of 2 pieces of brass and a screw) in the breach and tightened it.....it dont expand too much...then I sealed the breach with wax  and half filled the barrel with oil.....let that set 2 days and I drained the oil and removed the extractor tool....I reinserted the pedersoli extractor tool(  the one that will expand enough)
and tightened it with a pipe wrench....I torqued it too...I am 5'11 and weigh 250....I torqued it good...
inserted a 1/2" steel rod down the barrel and pounded it HARD many times untill the expander tool fell out...
  still the gas sleeve wont budge.....

what should I do next? I cant heat it up cuz the expander tool has rubber bands on it.....should I soak it in KROIL?
OR WHAT????  I got to get this sleeve to budge or it wont seal the gas....  HELP PLEASE...or should I just drink a fifth of liquor and realize that I am Screwed....

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com