Author Topic: Pre-War or not?  (Read 1388 times)

Offline Buckaroo Lou

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 93
Pre-War or not?
« on: March 07, 2022, 12:32:13 AM »
This may be a dumb question, but I am going to ask anyway. My Turnbull USFA has the old armory bluing and from what I have understood the only difference between a standard Premium revolver and a pre-war is one has the dome bluing and the other has the old armory bluing. So would my Turnbull USFA be considered a pre-war revolver?

A man's true measure is found not in what he says but in what he does.

Offline GaryG

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Pre-War or not?
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2022, 05:46:47 AM »
2 things differentiated the Pre War from Dome Blue revolver.  The finish and the PW came with a border checkered hammer.  Before my time but I believe initially the PW was only offered in a BP frame, V notch rear sight and a tapered front sight.  As customers started to order a PW with a cross pin frame this changed.  The finish and the hammer always stayed the same.

Offline Buckaroo Lou

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 93
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2022, 11:17:55 AM »
GaryG,

Thanks for the reply. My Turnbull does not have the border hammer. Checkered yes, with a border at the bottom, but no border all the way around like on my Government Series Artillery model. The Government Series has all the things you described for the original pre-war plus all the US and HN stamps.

My Turnbull I guess is a Premium Single Action with the Old Armory Blue. I think Turnbull calls it Carbona Blue, but it looks the same as the Old Armory Blue USFA used. I would assume they are both done by the same bluing method.
A man's true measure is found not in what he says but in what he does.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 06:23:01 AM »

Offline GaryG

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2022, 06:50:39 AM »
Turnbull did the "Armory Blue" (carbona blue) for most of the time USFA was in existence.  A few years before USFA closed, they installed their own ovens for the carbona process.  So if you have a late model Pre War or Artillery model, the blue was done at USFA.  Colorcase was still (mostly) done by Turnbull.  There were a couple of exceptions.

Offline Capt. John Fitzgerald

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 34
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2022, 08:08:40 AM »
Lou,
Great picture.  Don't forget our "Picture Pages."
You can't change the wind, but you can always change your sails.

Offline Pettifogger

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 19
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2022, 01:55:03 PM »
I always wonder pre what war?

Offline medic15al

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2022, 04:16:12 PM »
WW2 I believe. When they stopped the 1st gens on old tooling to gear up for war production is how I understand it.
Pacem in corde meo, Mors de guns

Offline Dave T

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 901
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2022, 08:18:16 PM »
medic15al has the right idea.  "Pre-War" is a reference (one might say homage) to the 1st Generation Colt SAA, the finest SAAs Colt ever produced.  USFA was trying to duplicate the fit and finish, and if the examples I have are any indication they did.  The USFA late production Pre-War guns are as good or better than the 1st Gen Colts I once had.

Dave

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com