Author Topic: "Slicking up" a new holster?  (Read 508 times)

Offline John Spartan

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 12
"Slicking up" a new holster?
« on: December 18, 2023, 07:05:33 AM »
What is the best way to "slick up" (reduce friction) on the INSIDE of a leather holster?
In another life we would use spray silicone on the inside of our plastic holsters to make weapon drawing from different angles easier.
Is their a similar trick (or best method) for leather holsters?
TIA.

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
Re: "Slicking up" a new holster?
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2023, 08:42:47 AM »

:) John  ;)

I'm not a Leather Worker, nor have I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express (that I admit to)
in my sordid past.  I have also never used "stuff" on the inside of my holsters.  I do "fit" my holsters to the guns however.  The true leather guys will probably want to lynch me, but here goes.

I first wet the inside of the holster with Hot Tap Water, then before it can cool, I stuff in the subject gun, with a 16th inch thick leather pad on one side, all in a plastic bag.  Before placing the gun inna baggie, I give it a light squirt of WD-40 just incase the baggie should "leak."  I let it set to dry to shape for couple three days.  I prefer to let the holster dry simply at room temperature.  The resulting "fit" of the holster allows the gun to come out lickity split.

Just My Take

Offline Reverend P. Babcock Chase

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2023, 09:08:54 AM »
Howdy John,

A leather worker friend of mine turned me on to using medicine bottles slightly larger in diameter than the sixgun's cylinder. I just keep them stuffed into my holsters when not in use. The guns go in and out with just enough tension to feel secure.

Rev. Chase

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 06:11:19 AM »

Offline John Spartan

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2023, 10:26:53 AM »
Thank you gentlemen!
You have given me another (and logical) path to try. Instead of reducing gun/holster friction shape the holster to fit the gun better.
I recall the author of "No Second Place Winner (whose name I forget) recommended doing the "wet molding" with alcohol (I forget the type) after wrapping the gun in thin plastic.

Offline Johnny McCrae

• Bristol Plains Pistoleros, Sweetwater Regulators
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • The older the violin, the finer the music
    • Johnny McCrae
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 268
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2023, 10:33:23 AM »
I did something different. Once I had the proper feel or release when I drew the pistol, I put in wood insert in the holster for the pistol to bottom out on. This gave me the same feel every time I drew the pistol. I put a
pistol with a 5-1/2" barrel in a Slim-Jim holster made for a 7-1/2" barrel Pistol. The drawing may be out of scale but I hope you get the idea. I used this rig for over ten years.
You need to learn to like all the little everday things like a sip of good whiskey, a soft bed, a glass of buttermilk,  and a feisty old gentleman like myself

Offline Reverend P. Babcock Chase

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2023, 10:36:29 AM »
Howdy John,

The writer you referenced is Bill Jordan. An interesting guy. When I was working at Lyman during a SHOT show, he visited the booth. As the marketing guy it was my job to go through the new products. His hearing was so shot that I practically had to yell for 10 minutes. I was exhausted.

That's more than you wanted to know,

Rev. Chase

Offline John Spartan

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2023, 12:19:53 PM »
Not at all. He was a fascinating man and I am embarrassed I forgot his name.
In my defense it's been a few years since I read his book. Knew it was Jordan but forgot his first. Thanks!

Offline Cap'n Redneck

• Commd'g Co. D, Frontier Batt'n, Texas Rangers.
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Cap'n Redneck SWS #163.
  • GAF #: 273
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2023, 03:19:32 PM »
I've found that a quick shot of silicone spray will do the trick when extensive wet molding is not required.
I stuff a tennis ball into the top of my holsters when not in use to insure they retain their shape.
"As long as there's lead in the air, there's still hope..."
Frontiersman & Frontiersman Gunfighter: The only two categories where you can play with your balls and shoot your wad while tweaking the nipples on a pair of 44s.

Offline Graveyard Jack

• Top Active Citizen
  • aka CraigC
    • Graveyard Jack's Custom Sixgun Leather
  • SASS #: 81,827
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 89
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2023, 11:35:18 AM »
What is the gun and holster? It's probably already wet molded and I rarely suggest wetting a completed holster.
SASS #81,827

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com