Author Topic: Shotgun  (Read 6044 times)

Offline Galen

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 25
Shotgun
« on: March 24, 2021, 07:24:26 PM »
What shotguns can be used for wild bunch? I have a Remington Model 10 and a Winchester model 12 16 gauge. Would either of them be acceptable?

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1180
Re: Shotgun
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2021, 07:45:43 PM »
Sorry Galen, but no.

Legal are the '97 (including Trench gun), the Chinese '93-97, and Model 12.  Only 12 Ga is legal.  Having said that, local clubs often relax the rules to get people to participate, so you might check with them.

Offline Dusty Boddams

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 8
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2021, 08:00:37 PM »
G, I would bet Abilene is right. While neither one is legal I bet at the first few monthly’s they would let you use that model 12.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 04:49:48 PM »

Offline Galen

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2021, 08:45:41 PM »
Thats sad a chinese made shotgun is legal but an American made shotgun with ties to the U.S. military is not. Oh well.

Offline Tornado

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 39
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2021, 08:00:56 AM »
It's just me, but I think any 20ga or higher, safe, pre1918, repeating shotgun should be allowed.  I would open up the pistol choices as well... I'll let my self out now ;)

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2021, 09:58:53 AM »

Just as a Snide Aside, prior to SASS grabbing Wild Bunch and running it, those shotguns should have been quite acceptable.  As would a TON of handguns, now Verboden.

Stay Safe Out There

Offline Reverend P. Babcock Chase

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2021, 10:06:50 AM »
Howdy Wild Bunchers,

Per Tornado's post: I love using my Rem. 11 (think hump-backed Browning) and Luger (with a 1911) for Wild Bunch.

Rev. Chase

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 415
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2021, 01:28:55 PM »
I would agree

For the most part , Wild Bunch failed to attract enough players in my area...
There were a few matches maybe 8 participants tops, then it dwindled to one stage at one CAS match (if you were so inclined, that dried up too )
There may be a posse' or two that may still offer it in Florida, but don't hold me too the statement  :-\ 

I always felt , if you were true to the film , then a Star SA Super B should allowed it was the stand in, go to handgun for the 1911 .through out the film...

" eh bien " as the French say  ::)

when planets align...do the deal !

Offline Tascosa Joe

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 2770
  • NCOWS #: L-168
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 11
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2021, 07:00:08 AM »
Thats sad a chinese made shotgun is legal but an American made shotgun with ties to the U.S. military is not. Oh well.

Specially since the Model 10 Remington predates the Model 12.
NRA Life, TSRA Life, NCOWS  Life

Offline Galen

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2021, 09:53:36 AM »
Wild Bunch shooting is going the way of the Dodo bird. Or possibly being a clique. Some great ideas with allowing Lugers even the Broomhandle. Anyway it is what it is.

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2021, 10:23:45 PM »
I guess it's a regional thing.  Wild Bunch has been on a slow increase around here the last few years, I would say.  At last year's Comancheria Days match near Fredericksburg,TX there were 212 shooters for the main cowboy match, and we had 44 of them shoot the 4-stage Wild Bunch side match.  In two weeks we will have this match again with 180 shooters registered, and 43 are signed up for the WB match.  Seems like a pretty good turnout.

I just checked and Trailhead, which was the SASS TX State match this year, was just this past weekend and they had 24 shooters for their WB Side Match.

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 415
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2021, 05:07:36 AM »
Texas and the SW is steep with history of the border and the punitive expedition , I'm not surprised Wild Bunch is active.
In concept the discipline is uber cool so is BAMM....

Sadly, here in Florida , neither WB or BAMM or even NCOWS, haven't garnered enough broad appeal to participants beyond a dabble at match or 3.
 Same, same for Western 3 gun , just some early lightly attended matches years ago by SASS types and a handful adventurous soles.

!0 -10 - 6 CAS matches seem to be the main focus on the monthly match circuit, maybe the yearly Regional SASS match may still provided for a WB side match  :-\

W3G is non-existent since about 2012 or so , WB's infancy disappeared 5 years ago  ....I know of no BAMM matches outside of Baltimore Ed's club up in the Carolina's coast region.

Though , The NCOWS Posse exists with the Cracker Cow Cavalry , it does not compete with broader SASS discipline.

when planets align...do the deal !

Offline Kent Shootwell

• Top Active Citizen
  • Got whiskey, will stumble.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 22
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2021, 12:45:58 PM »
Cowboy shooting sports may have been a case of self divide and conquer. For me when it went to short stroke and mouse fart loads the game was dead. But I had a grand time till then.  ;D
Little powder much lead shoots far kills dead.
Member, whiskey livers
AKA Phil Coffins, AKA Oliver Sudden

Offline Galen

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2021, 01:33:33 PM »
Who ever compiled the list of approved weapons is living in his own world. The Winchester self loaders are period correct along with a plethora of other handguns and shotguns.

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2021, 04:48:53 PM »

:)  Galen   ;)

Your a little late arriving on the scene.  Let me Expand.  Some Lustrum ago, a bunch of Cowboy friends of mine thought up a really fun SIDE MATCH.  It was called "Wild Bunch" and was base loosely on the guns and time period portrayed in the movie "The Wild Bunch."  It was conceived to be a fun thing, a chance to bring out the Safe Queens.  1917 revolvers, Broomhandles, Lugers, and others.  Rifles of .40 caliber or larger, even some Bolt Actions, loaded down.  Shotguns were "Run What Ya Brung.  It was some kind of fun

Then along came SASS.  Decided to hold their own "Wild Bunch" side match at EOT.  With infinite wisdom, SASS dumbed it way down.  1911's only.  M-97 or SxS only.  Still .40 or larger rifles.  1911 Magazines could only load 5.  Shotguns 2.  All sorts of RULES.  Match directors all across the country said, "Hey, we don't have to think" and immediately adopted SASS rules.  WILD BUNCH DIED.

SO:  That is how we got where we are.  SASS stuck their meddling noses in and KILLED Wild Bunch.  Just has take a while to die an agonizing death.  Was only just recently, it was allowed to load 7 in a 1911.  6 in a 97.  Wild Bunch was however, all ready DEAD.  RIP

Stay Save Out There

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2021, 05:30:59 PM »
....  Wild Bunch was however, all ready DEAD.  RIP

Stay Save Out There

Everybody has their opinions, and maybe it is dead in some areas.

So I got curious and did some checking.  Winter Range, I just randomly picked 3 years, 2010, 2015, 2020.  2010=75 shooters.  2015=114 shooters. 2020=125 shooters

Offline Cap'n Redneck

• Commd'g Co. D, Frontier Batt'n, Texas Rangers.
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Cap'n Redneck SWS #163.
  • GAF #: 273
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2021, 04:03:38 AM »
When comparing SASS Cowboy Action Shooting and SASS Wild Bunch it seems to me that WB is the branch most open to change / improvement / common horse sense...
1. They opened up for the Winchester Model 12 shotgun in addition to the Win. 1897.
2. They went from loading 5 in the mag of the 1911 to 7 in the mag.

If we keep nagging on our WB Territorial Governors they might eventually open up for all makes of pump-action shotguns of a modelyear prior to 1919.
Add a separate category for semi-auto shotguns of a model prior to 1919...
Then add an "Open Pistol" category to include Lugers, Broomhandles etc., etc.
And a "Pocket Semi-Auto Pistol" side-match category to include the .25 ACP's and the .32 ACP's.
The list goes on....and a jolly good time will be had by all....!   8)
"As long as there's lead in the air, there's still hope..."
Frontiersman & Frontiersman Gunfighter: The only two categories where you can play with your balls and shoot your wad while tweaking the nipples on a pair of 44s.

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2021, 09:57:42 AM »

:)  Cap'n  ;)

All true.  Also, let us not forget, WB TGs also approved the most excellent 93/97 after SASS Poo Poo'd it.  Most Excellent shotgun, now extinct.

:)  Abilene  ;)

Personally, I don't consider an increase of 50 participants over a 15+ year time frame to be a success story.  Especially when we are considering a single Venue.  And, Wild Bunch, as Originally Concepted is still very sadly DEAD.

Offline Dusty Boddams

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 8
« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2021, 12:41:00 PM »
So basically the old odd random version years ago of a plinking match died. Replaced with a new version based on competition 10 years ago.  ;D that about sums it up doesn’t it.
I always wondered in cowboy why you couldn’t shoot a double action top break smith&wesson if you promised to always cock it single action? Really on thinking about it why couldn’t you use a model 11 Remington as long as you only loaded one at a time. Both these guns are original and way older than everyone’s new guns they use now in competition.
Ok
Now
Before
Certain
Folks
Get
there
panties
In
A
Twist

APRIL FOOLS ! ALL IN GOOD FUN!  ;D

Offline Baltimore Ed

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 11754
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 189
« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2021, 03:05:18 PM »
How about a Model 12 trenchgun? Or is it too gamey.    A simple solution Coffinmaker would be to become a WASA/SASS club and broaden the firearm palette. There’s still a cutoff date but its a little later. That way everyone is welcome to the table.
"Give'em hell, Pike"
 There is no horse so dead that you cannot continue to beat it.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com