Special Interests - Groups & Societies > Frontier Iron

Stag grips for a Schofield?

<< < (2/4) > >>

ammodave:
Is stag shrinkage a regular problem?

Abilene:
I was wondering the same thing, as I've never heard of that.  Certainly have heard of wood shrinking, but even that takes a long time.  Maybe the material was too "fresh" ?

Baltimore Ed:
Just a thought but I added a little bit of holly to my ASM Schofield grips to thicken them up a tad. But you might be able to add a slice of something under your stags to make them fit your guns grip frame better. Make a better looking transition from the frame to the stags. I found out that I don’t like the open top conversion. Too barrel heavy which puts my middle finger’s knuckle right against the guard, ouch, plus it’s hard for me to shoot duelist.

Advertising:

Buckaroo Lou:

--- Quote from: ammodave on March 07, 2022, 12:11:03 PM ---Is stag shrinkage a regular problem?

--- End quote ---

To my knowledge it is not. I have never seen or heard of this before either, but mine have definitely shrunk some. I do know horns have a drying time before they can be scored for record books so maybe the horn used on the grips was too "fresh". 

ammodave:
Stag shrinkage has me worried, going for unfinished checkered walnut so I can stain them a little darker.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version