Special Interests - Groups & Societies > Shotguns

Change barrel Winchester 1897

<< < (3/3)

McCrower:

--- Quote from: Coffinmaker on October 03, 2021, 07:59:46 AM ---I would be more inclined to make up a mandrel and remove the dent from the original barrel.  Or cut the original barrel behind the dent, depending on how far back the dent is.

Coffinmaker

--- End quote ---

Good imput, but then I would have a 6 inch barrel..  ;D  .

The dent is actually all the way around, result of a stuck wad/squib in the barrel which was sitting there when the next shot was fired..

McCrower:

--- Quote from: Professor Marvel on October 03, 2021, 05:26:31 AM ---

Your first problem would be to unscrew the extension without damage, and then fit it to the new barrel, but the bead has to be on top,
so lathe work is almost a given.

best regards
Prof Marvel

--- End quote ---

Thank you again sir. This I actually have managed to do. A special clamp tool was made for the extension and the old barrel. The old barrel is by the way beyond repair. So if I don't get the new barrel to work, this shotgun will be my most expensive wall decoration...  :P

McCrower

Cap'n Redneck:
"The dent is actually all the way around, result of a stuck wad/squib in the barrel..."

Allow me to chime in with some Norwegian/English translation & clarification:  the technical term for your barrel damage is not "a dent" (Norw.: "en bulk") but "a bulge" (Norw.: "en bule").

Also "a lathe" means "en dreiebenk" in Norwegian, as opposed to the tool you fabricated to loosen the extension.  That I would term a "custom wrench" (Norw.: "spesial-nøkkel").

(I have advised McCrower via the Norwegian CAS-forum to contact the teacher at the Norwegian gun-smithing school.)

Just my "10 cents" worth (Norw.: "86,5 øre").   ;)

Advertising:

McCrower:

--- Quote from: Cap'n Redneck on October 03, 2021, 10:11:59 AM ---"The dent is actually all the way around, result of a stuck wad/squib in the barrel..."

Allow me to chime in with some Norwegian/English translation & clarification:  the technical term for your barrel damage is not "a dent" (Norw.: "en bulk") but "a bulge" (Norw.: "en bule").

Also "a lathe" means "en dreiebenk" in Norwegian, as opposed to the tool you fabricated to loosen the extension.  That I would term a "custom wrench" (Norw.: "spesial-nøkkel").

(I have advised McCrower via the Norwegian CAS-forum to contact the teacher at the Norwegian gun-smithing school.)

Just my "10 cents" worth (Norw.: "86,5 øre").   ;)

--- End quote ---

Thank you Cap'n Redneck. I know that I have more than a "dent". I am actually a bit embarrassed to admit that I totally ruined my old 97 barrel...    ;D    ;D   I have now replaced "lathe" with "clamp tool". Probably not perfect expression this either  ;D

And thanks again for your advice about the gunsmith in Norway.

McCrower

Ken J Dyck:

--- Quote from: McCrower on October 03, 2021, 12:48:06 PM ---" embarrassed to admit that I totally ruined my old 97 barrel...   
McCrower

--- End quote ---

It happens, I bulged the barrel on my 16 ga 870, I heard the squib but as the shot went out the barrel I took another shot at the target. Small bulge. A two year search led me to buy another 870. I shortened the old barrel and sold the gun. The mistake was mine, and yes, still embarrassed.

I've worked on a couple of 1897s, but didn't get as deep as you have with barrel swapping. I have removed the extension to clean up rust and touch up the bluing. So easy to distort the extension, especially if they are tight, or rusted in place.

Depending on the bulge, the effect is mostly cosmetic, IOW, is not unsafe, of course depending on the extent of the bulge, and where it is. Mine was about 2" back from the muzzle. I didn't like it as it was a constant reminder of my stupidity. Another option for me was to install a screw in choke. In the end buying another gun was cheaper. Especially since I sold the old one for more than the new one cost me. Oddly, it is easier to sell a short barrel shotgun. If I have trouble selling a shotgun, shortening the barrel will usually get a sale.

Hope your project gets finished, keep us posted.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version