Author Topic: Completely new to forum and Spencer would like help  (Read 5198 times)

Offline Fasttalker

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Completely new to forum and Spencer would like help
« on: March 07, 2016, 01:05:33 PM »
I recently acquired a Spencer carbine. The address stamp says "Spencer Repeating Rifle Co. Boston Mas Pat'd March 6 1860" with a serial number of 33825. I was wondering what caliber it is 56-? And also where do I post to find out where it first started life? I would also like to know can I buy ammo somewhere as I would really love to shoot this beautiful firearm. And one last question as I don't want to be a bother where you go to join sss I'm sorry but I did not see that link anywhere just that I should join. Thank you so much for any and all help it is greatly appreciated, and I am very sorry to the moderator if I put this in the wrong section please excuse me, again thank you all for your time

Offline Two Flints

• Spencer Shooting Society Founder & Moderator
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Moderating SSS IS a "Labor of Love"!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
Re: Completely new to forum and Spencer would like help
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2016, 01:35:34 PM »
fasttalker (Eric),

Thanks for your Email.  I will add your "username" to the membership list asap.  I checked my SRS books for serial # information, and it appears that your Spencer Carbine may have been issued to Company L, 2nd NY Volunteer Cavalry in March, 1865.  Hope you read my Spencer Serial # Disclaimer.

If you check through the many threads you will find all the information you will need.  I'm sure SSS members will respond to any questions you might have . . . if you have photos of your Spencer send them to me and I will post them for you adding to your original post.

56-50 caliber

Two Flints

Una mano lava l'altra
Moderating SSS is a "labor of love"
Viet Vet  '68-69
3/12 - 4th Inf Div
Spencer Shooting Society Moderator
Spencer Shooting Society (SSS) #4;
BOSS #62
NRA; GOAL; SAM; NMLRA
Fur Trade Era - Mountain Man
Traditional Archery

Offline Walksfire

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2016, 03:42:37 PM »
Welcome to the Spencer Shooting society. You have a mid range serial number Spencer Carbine that was probably used during the civil war. If it has not been altered by Springfield Armory and still has 6 grooves in the barrel and no cut off switch near the trigger, then probably your carbine has a .52 caliber. It is best to slug the bore to find out exactly. It is also advisable to have a antique firearms expert check the gun out to make sure it will not explode on the first bullet fired out of a 150 year old gun.

That being said, (Caveat Emptor), I got mine checked out and it was still a .52 caliber with 6 fine grooves. I bought my parts of bullets from Buffalo Arms. http://www.buffaloarms.com/  I made a couple posts here about my journey in making bullets and firing them. No company sells rimfire bullets for the Spencer anymore. You have to get a centerfire conversion kit from S&S in New York. http://www.ssfirearms.com/proddetail.asp?prod=SP176  They also have bullets and blanks and spare parts.

There are several online shops, but those are two I have used successfully. You can also search for blanks here on this forum, as I have used them for a re-enactment with nactorman. 

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 06:15:43 AM »

Offline Presto25

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2019, 04:48:25 PM »
Could you direct me to an ammo source for an un-modified 1860 Spencer carbine? I am planning on obtaining a center fire breech block. Thanks, Presto25

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com