Author Topic: Krag as Main Match Rifle in CAS Shoot  (Read 1810 times)

Offline Niederlander

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 6
Krag as Main Match Rifle in CAS Shoot
« on: May 19, 2007, 03:06:18 PM »
We had our monthly CAS shoot today, and I shot my Krag Rifle as my main match rifle.  TOO MUCH FUN!!  It's a little slow to reload when you have ten shot strings but LOTS of style points.  My revolver is a nickel plated Smith & Wesson Military & Police, which I shoot single action and reload on the clock.  My Krag load runs about 1400 fps, so it's pretty easy on the targets.  I also use gas checks, which don't seem to hurt anything at rifle distances.  Our club is not SASS affiliated, so we've decided to allow rifle caliber rifles as long as they use lead bullets at 1400 fps or less.  By the way, I dress as a Marine Lieutenant circa 1900 in Cuba or the Phillippines.  Love that period!
"There go those Nebraskans, and all hell couldn't stop them!"

Offline Drydock

• MA1 USN ret. GAF #19, Colonel, Chief of Staff. BC, CC, SoM. SASS 1248 Life
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 18
Re: Krag as Main Match Rifle in CAS Shoot
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2007, 08:16:07 PM »
You might want to check out our "Battle Rifle" threads.  I used a Krag at our last National Muster, and Major Lewis used a Krag at the Dept. of the Missouri Muster. 
Civilize them with a Krag . . .

Offline Niederlander

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 6
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2007, 08:34:02 PM »
Hello!
     Did you use a rifle or carbine?  Major Lewis used a carbine at the Missouri Muster and had a lot of feeding problems with it due (I think) to using too light bullets in it.  I'm using a 218 grain round nose that is pretty close to the original bullet shape, and it feeds perfectly.  The more I use a Krag the more impressed I am with it!
"There go those Nebraskans, and all hell couldn't stop them!"

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 08:35:35 PM »

Offline Drydock

• MA1 USN ret. GAF #19, Colonel, Chief of Staff. BC, CC, SoM. SASS 1248 Life
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 18
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2007, 09:19:23 PM »
I have a carbine, a sporterized infantry rifle I remilitarized to carbine configuration.  I use a 200 grain Lee rn, no feeding problems at all.   Love flipping open that gate and literaly throwing rounds in 2 at a time from a Mills double belt.
Civilize them with a Krag . . .

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com