Author Topic: Colt DA 41  (Read 1872 times)

Offline dusty texian

• Chief Scout Wehmeyer Ranch's.
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Dusty Texian
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 107
Colt DA 41
« on: January 20, 2020, 12:30:11 PM »
1877 Colt DA 41 Long Colt .Have been loading and shooting this 41 for several months now  . Works like a Swiss watch , a good cleaning and oil after every shoot everything OK so far . Really like the feel of it and it's very handy to carry .  ,,,DT

Offline swampman

• blacksmith mechanic
  • Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
Re: Colt DA 41
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2020, 02:26:47 PM »
It's good to see another M-1877 fan out there. I love these early self-cocker's. My first was also a .41 and I learned how to load heeled bullets for it. My present one is in .38 and it sees regular use. They're not too hard to work on once you understand how they operate.
A lot of what is taken for engineering fact, if you dig into it far enough, is often just someone's opinion.

Offline dusty texian

• Top Active Citizen
  • Dusty Texian
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2020, 03:55:56 AM »
Thank's for the reply Swampman . The heeled bullet in the pic is what I am loading at the moment  with 3fff Bp  ( Looking for a better bullet ). I ordered the dies and bullet crimper from Old West Bullet Molds , may order a mold from them also  . Makes loading for the .41 Long Colt easy . I purchased the book ( Trouble Shooting The Colt Lightning ) by Clifford W. Mills . It's a wealth of knowledge for any Colt 1877  DA fan . Have taken my 77 down to the last little part and  re assembled it  a few times , because I shoot Bp. I clean and oil after every shoot . Getting pretty familiar  with the little Colt .  I wont let just anyone handle it , I think most failures with this model are caused by mishandling and or spring failure . ,,,,DT

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 12:33:31 PM »

Offline Texas John Ringo

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 60
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2020, 08:18:28 AM »
I have 4 of these. 2 are .38 Storekeeper models and 2 are 4 1/2" bbls. 3 are .38 and the other .41. 1 Storekeeper .38 made in 1886, the others all made in the early 1900's. All shoot and work well.  Actually have 2 more parts guns.

Offline dusty texian

• Top Active Citizen
  • Dusty Texian
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2020, 09:22:04 AM »
I have 4 of these. 2 are .38 Storekeeper models and 2 are 4 1/2" bbls. 3 are .38 and the other .41. 1 Storekeeper .38 made in 1886, the others all made in the early 1900's. All shoot and work well.  Actually have 2 more parts guns.
                   Texas John Ringo Thanks for the reply . Quite a collection you have there . The .38 storekeeper is on my list  Can you recommend a Heeled bullet for loading in my .41 ? Now I am using the Montana Precision  cast bullet . Works good through the gun , but not very accurate . ,,,DT

Offline dusty texian

• Top Active Citizen
  • Dusty Texian
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2020, 10:29:35 AM »
Another pic. of the Thunderer and a loaded .41 Long Colt  round . Has quite the bark .,,,DT

Offline Texas John Ringo

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 60
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2020, 10:43:37 AM »
                   Texas John Ringo Thanks for the reply . Quite a collection you have there . The .38 storekeeper is on my list  Can you recommend a Heeled bullet for loading in my .41 ? Now I am using the Montana Precision  cast bullet . Works good through the gun , but not very accurate . ,,,DT
I actually have not shot any reloads in the .41, I had a very limited supply of old factory ammo that I shot in it.

Offline dusty texian

• Top Active Citizen
  • Dusty Texian
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2020, 11:28:48 AM »
Thank's Texas John Ringo , the bore on this one is in very good condition and the trigger pull is not bad at all . The groove is .400" and the bullet .401". I have read that the bullet that I am using is not very accurate in other peoples experience . It's not bad ,  but I have yet to produce a group on a playing card like JW Hardin did , I'm no pistol hand like he was either . Lol .Going to try the bullet mold made by Old West Bullet Molds .403 200 gr. Target Type Heel Bullet .  ,,,DT

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com