Author Topic: A story to share, and input to request  (Read 2329 times)

Offline hhughh

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
A story to share, and input to request
« on: December 25, 2018, 09:11:23 PM »
Howdy all.  Haven't been on in a good while.  Hope all are well, and having a great Christmas.
There will eventually be a much longer story about some of the details I'm about to put forward, but I have a firearms question from some research I'm doing.

In 1884, a man was abducted from a home outside of San Antonio and killed.  The lady of the house where he was taken described one of the guns used by the abductors as a "square-barreled pistol". Other phrases she used were "Tolerably long", "blue or black finish" and the "handle" looked like walnut.  She said she could not remember "what size cartridges it shot."

A few months after the event, one of the abductors was killed trying to pull off a "jail break" on a train.  Literally.  Anyway, the testimony does not refer to the barrel of his pistol, but the parts of the description that are given seem to match.  They do, however, refer to it as a "38 calibre", and there was a pouch or some such of "38 calibre" cartridges found in his pocket.

I had thought when reading "square-barreled" that she was referring to the octagon barrel on a Navy pistol.  The 38 reference suggests it may have been a conversion.  My question is, were there any cartridge revolvers--other than conversions--turned out with octagon barrel, or would the guy's pistol have unquestionably been either a cap-and-ball or a Colt conversion?

Typing this, I just remembered Remington also converted their New Army model as well.  Were any of those converted to .38?

Thanks to any that can help,
Hugh

Offline Arizona Trooper

• Top Active Citizen
    • Civil War Guns
  • Liked:
Re: A story to share, and input to request
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2019, 07:43:16 PM »
Well, this is kind of late, but.... Remington Navies were converted in large numbers, and they are 36 cal. However, could the square barrel be a 4 barrel pepperbox? Most were 22 and 32 cal. though.

Offline Sir Charles deMouton-Black

• THE ANCIENT SUBSTANCE ENDURES - ALL LESSER PROPELLANTS SHALL FIZZLE
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 405
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2019, 06:58:26 PM »
The cartridges for .36 conversions were mostly .38, both rimfire or centerfire like .38 short or long Colt, but there were others.
NCOWS #1154, SCORRS, STORM, BROW, 1860 Henry, Dirty Rat 502, CHINOOK COUNTRY
THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT (SHOTS)
Those who are no longer ignorant of History may relive it,
without the Blood, Sweat, and Tears.
With apologies to George Santayana & W. S. Churchill

"As Mark Twain once put it, “History doesn’t repeat itself, but it does rhyme.”

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 07:07:52 AM »

Offline Blair

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2019, 01:31:10 PM »
As late as the 1889 Remington was still offering .38 cal. conversions in their catalog.
They stopped advertising the .44's a little earlier (I don't remember the date), but I believe they could still be ordered.
Remington must have had a very large supply of percussion frames on hand.
My best,
 Blair
A Time for Prayer.
"In times of war and not before,
God and the soldier we adore.
But in times of peace and all things right,
God is forgotten and the soldier slighted"
by Rudyard Kipling.
Blair Taylor
Life-C 21

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com