Author Topic: OFFICIAL New Model Army (1858) thread (post picture here)  (Read 49494 times)

Offline rbertalotto

• Top Active Citizen
    • RVB Precision
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: OFFICIAL New Model Army (1858) thread (post picture here)
« Reply #20 on: January 02, 2013, 02:06:00 PM »

Roy B
South of Boston
www.rvbprecision.com
SASS #93544

Offline River City John

• NCOWS Senator
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Mr. & Mrs. John Covert
  • NCOWS #: L-146
  • GAF #: 275
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 474
« Reply #21 on: February 02, 2013, 02:31:11 PM »

My Uberti Navy fitted with an R&D conversion cylinder.

I had a Kirst cylinder in this previously, but wanted to change out to a conversion cylinder that was more historically accurate for the Remington Navy. The types of conversions seen on the Navy were either thin plate, or like R&D, separate firing pins for each chamber. (While a fine product, the thick back plate used with the Kirst just didn't look right to me.)

Both cylinders were truly drop-in conversions with minimal tinkering and function flawlessly.

While I haven't test fired the R&D, it is a 2012 production part so I am hoping the reported problem with the soft pins has been remedied. We'll see.

RCJ
"I was born by the river in a little tent, and just like the river I've been running ever since." - Sam Cooke
"He who will not look backward with reverence, will not look forward with hope." - Edmund Burke
". . .freedom is not everything or the only thing, perhaps we will put that discovery behind us and comprehend, before it's too late, that without freedom all else is nothing."- G. Warren Nutter
NCOWS #L146
GAF #275

Offline Halfway Creek Charlie

• AKA Old Dragoon,The Gunslinger and other no so polite names...
  • Top Active Citizen
  • My Wyatte Earp Impression
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: February 03, 2013, 01:59:34 PM »
Here are my  new to me  Remy's.
These are Armi San Paolo's (made also for Euroarms) Version of the 1858 Remy NMA, which they are not as explained below.

1971 Euroarms Remington - Beals Elliot's Transition to NMA (2nd Frame type). Non Fired. Will be a shooter.

1980 Armi San Paolo Remington- Beals Elliot's Transition to NMA (2nd Frame type). Well taken care of shooter.

FYI I always wondered why the ASP and Euroarms models were different than the Pietta and Uberti 58 Remy's. After research into the this subject, I found that the model used is as described in the photo's. The Remington - Beals was under going many changes in the last six months before they NMA was introduced. The R - B Elliot's Transition used all three R - B Frames. The 1st Frame is flat at the breech and has NO fouling relief. the Second frame has the barest fouling relief, and the third frame uses the NMA scooped fouling relief. All three R-B frames were used in Elliot's Transition to NMA and all three used the NMA type hammers and loading rod sail. Hence the model used by Armi San Paolo was in fact the 2nd frame Remington - Beals Elliot's Transition to NMA. All three Framed Elliot's Transition are the rarest of any of the Remington - Beals Models.

I am saddened that Euroarms sold out to Pedersoli as this unique model is no longer being made.

SAS-76873
NCOWS-2955
SCORRS
STORM-243
WARTHOG

Shooting History (original), Remy NMA Conversions, 1863 New Model Pocket Model C.F. Conversion, Remy Model 1889 12Ga. Coach Gun
2nd. Gen. "C" Series Colt 1851 Navies
Centennial Arms/Centaur 1860 Armies
1860 Civilian Henry 45LC (soon to be 44 Henry Flat C.F.(Uberti)
Remingon Creedmore Rolling Block 45-70 (Pedersoli)

"Cut his ears off and send them to that Marshall in Sheridan" Prentice Ritter

Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity

Advertising

« Reply #23 on: Today at 02:56:47 PM »

Offline Indian Outlaw

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: September 13, 2013, 07:13:48 PM »
My Uberti with Paul Persinger grips and a Taylor's cylinder. I didn't like the shiny black finish - I was afraid of scratching it.

So I am letting it develop a natural gray patina. Hopefully, it won't take 150 years.  ;D

Offline Thumper

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: September 14, 2013, 01:39:50 PM »
This is a factory job. I removed the bluing to give it an aged look and added the spur to the triggerguard to save my 2nd finger from getting smacked with every shot.

Offline Fredcdobbs

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: September 30, 2013, 03:16:49 PM »
In case people are not sick of pictures of my gun.

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1225
« Reply #26 on: September 30, 2013, 04:14:44 PM »
I don't own any Remmies as they don't fit my hand well, but I do like the looks of them.  This is not my gun, but one that was on the table of a dealer, Lost Target Shooting Supplies, at the Vermont state SASS match a few years back.  It is a Cimarron import, and I'm not sure if the nickle and grips came that way from Uberti or if the work was done in the states, which would be Ford Plating in Florida and Bar-S grips.  Either way, it is a looker and best of all, it's 44 w.c.f.  Thought y'all might enjoy seeing it.

Offline Mike

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: February 07, 2014, 02:06:36 AM »
Just picked one of these up, it is in 38 but I am looking at changing it to 44 or 45.
I have a 44 (45) barrel from a cap and ball gun, I need to find out if I can get the cyliinder opened up to 44 and use a heeled bullet.
I am in NZ and it is difficult to get work done here.
great site with lots of info.
Any one had trouble with the hammer covering the sight picture when the hammer is cocked, l had to remove a bit of metal today so I can shoot it .
Buffalochip

Offline Gus Walker

• Top Active Citizen
  • The sunny slopes of long ago.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #28 on: February 07, 2014, 12:37:09 PM »
Mike, it sounds like the end of the trigger is worn down or broke off. At full cock the hammer should be just below your sight picture.
Aye its been quite a ride aint it?

Offline Mike

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: February 07, 2014, 12:47:05 PM »
No ,  it is a new gun. Well proofed in 2007 but never sold until last week to me. The dealer sold a few but then they sat around.
I have had it apart and there is no sign of use.
It has what looks like a safty hammer but I cant see how it works.
Buffalochip

Offline Lucky R. K.

• Purveyor of Fire & Brimstone
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #30 on: February 08, 2014, 09:44:47 AM »
Here is a pair of Pietta '58's that I shoot Frontiersman with along with my Old Armies.  The frame has been opened up just a bit so I could install a cylinder bushing.  It has been a cold winter so I decided to checker the grips and dude them up a bit.

Lucky
Greene County Regulators       Life NRA             SCORRS
High Country Cowboys            SASS #79366
Gunpowder Creek Regulators   Dirty RATS #568

The Wind is Your Friend

Offline Mike

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #31 on: February 08, 2014, 10:33:47 PM »
Ok, took my 58 conversion  apart today, took the recall plate off and a cap and ball cylinder went straight in. Has any one else tried.
Buffalochip

Offline Grapeshot

• Grapeshot. Cpt US Artillery
  • Top Active Citizen
  • WARTHOG
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #32 on: March 27, 2014, 09:51:41 AM »
Any first hand experience shooting the A.Uberti factory Conversions from Taylors or Cimarron?
Listen!  Do you hear that?  The roar of Cannons and the screams of the dying.  Ahh!  Music to my ears.

Offline St8LineLeatherSmith

• The Poly Grip Kids alter ego AKA Pappy Polygrip since I ain't a kid no more
  • American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • grand master of striking one tool against another
    • The St8 Line Leathersmith
  • Liked:
« Reply #33 on: April 03, 2014, 01:56:13 PM »
Here is a pair of Pietta '58's that I shoot Frontiersman with along with my Old Armies.  The frame has been opened up just a bit so I could install a cylinder bushing.  It has been a cold winter so I decided to checker the grips and dude them up a bit.

Lucky

Them there Sure is a fine pair of shootin irons you have there.
are those mercury dimes you have inlaid in the grips?
No matter where ya go there ya are
Society Of Remington Revolver Shooters (SCORRS)
Brother Artisan Master At Large Of TEH BROTHERHOOD OF TEH SUBLYME  & HOLEY ORDER OF TEH SOOT, (SHOTS)
The St8 Line Leathersmith
ChattownLeatherheads

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 426
« Reply #34 on: April 03, 2014, 02:42:44 PM »
Any first hand experience shooting the A.Uberti factory Conversions from Taylors or Cimarron?

I have one in 45 Colt I took in trade....was NIB, smooth as silk and I did back off the hammer spring some though, otherwise OEM,
and very good shooter.
I shoot Richards, but this Remy is tack driver , Oh and I stripped and oiled the OEM grips.

I would recommend them to a new shooter, wanting Remington' s

when planets align...do the deal !

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1225
« Reply #35 on: April 03, 2014, 05:57:24 PM »
Ok, took my 58 conversion  apart today, took the recall plate off and a cap and ball cylinder went straight in. Has any one else tried.

Mike, I just saw this post.  Have you shot it with the percussion cylinder?  If not, I'd check the alignment of the bore to the cylinders.  When Uberti came out with the conversion Remington they made it slightly larger than the percussion guns including the cylinder.  I'm not positive but I think they also enlarged the percussion guns as well at that time.  So there are two different size of cylinders out there.  If the cylinder you tried was the older one it might not align correctly.

When Uberti first announced the conversion, gun magazines had articles indicating that they would come with both the cartridge cylinder and conversion cylinder (in the 45LC version).  But it turned out that getting both cylinders fit properly was a pain, so they decided to ship them with only the cartridge cylinder.  New (larger) percussion cylinders are available but generally will need to be fit to the gun.

Offline Mike

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #36 on: April 03, 2014, 11:43:12 PM »
Abilene,
I have the correct percussion cylinder, which as you say is larger than the standed 58 one.
I went into my frame ok, I am in the proses of fitting a .451 barrel to the frame as my gun came as a 38.
Will get the 38 cylinder bored to 44 colt and shoot heeled rounds.
Was going to get another back plate to go into my 58 carbine and convert my spare cylinder to 44 colt.
Buffalochip

Offline Wolfgang

• Top Active Citizen
    • The Desperate Hot Springs News
  • Liked:
« Reply #37 on: April 12, 2014, 04:35:01 AM »
The real thing.  Transitional with Beals barrel, cylinder and hammer.   NMA frame.

http://s1259.beta.photobucket.com/user/DrBurkholter/media/Beals-ElliotTransitionalRemington_zps013b182a.jpg.html?sort=3&o=2

The cylinder in it, and the one to the lower left, are ASM cylinders.  The one to the lower right is the original Beals cylinder.

More about it . . . here :

http://1858remington.com/discuss/index.php/topic,7382.0.html
Beware the man with one gun, he probably knows how to use it.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com