2  boneless pork loin chops (3 ounces each), trimmed of fat  
 Nonstick olive oil cooking spray  
2/3  cup unsweetened apple juice  
1/2  small apple, sliced  
2  tablespoons sliced green onion  
2  tablespoons dried tart cherries  
1  teaspoon cornstarch  
1  tablespoon water  

1. Stir together thyme, salt and pepper. Rub on both sides of pork chops. Spray large skillet with cooking spray. Add pork chops. Cook over medium heat 3 to 5 minutes or until barely pink in center, turning once. Remove chops from skillet; keep warm.

2. Add apple juice, apple slices, green onion and cherries to same skillet. Simmer, uncovered, 2 to 3 minutes or until apple and onion are tender. Combine cornstarch and water. Stir into skillet. Bring to a boil; cook and stir until thickened. Spoon over pork chops.

I haven't tried it, but it sounds good!

AnnieLee

Delmonico:
I bet that got your attention, the subject of this recipe, the Green Sea Turtle is on the en-dangered species list. This could get you some serious jail time, but I bet it would be good eatin'.

Of course that might be one of the reasons they are endangered, they taste good. Recipes for Green Sea Turtle show up in almost any cook book of the time. Even then they were expensive, I have seen 30-50 cents a pound quoted for turtle steaks. Most hotel and fancy eatin' houses bought the whole turtle live and they could weigh up to 500 pounds.

This is how it is written up in my 1906 copy of the "Crosby Washburn Milling Companies "Gold Medal Flour Cookbook." This popular cookbok would later add the imaginary lady "Betty Crocker."

It is suggested by the book that one buys your turtle meat from one of these places, they often have some to spare. One would not want to buy a whole turtle for home use unless you were having a lot of guests.

Green Sea Turtle Steaks

Cut into slices about 1/2 inch thick. Rub them well with olive oil, lemon juice, salt and pepper 1-2 hours before cooking. Broil till well done.

It is my understanding that the steaks are cut from the large flippers and the rest of the turtle is used for soup and other recipes.

There is evidence that these turtles were packed in ice and shipped by rail to fancy places far inland in the 1880's and 1890's.

For my own protection, "Cosies don't try this at home, not only would you violate local, state and Federal laws, you would violate International Treaties.

gophergrease:
PORK WITH APPLES AND ONIONS

This is one of those that can  feed two or twenty just as easy.

For every pound of pork chops or roast you need 1 med onion and 1 green apple.

Slice the onions and apples. If you are doing chops slice them thin, for a roast a bit thicker.
Season the pork with salt and pepper, sear in a little oil.
Add the onions and  some fresh thyme, sage and rosemary. Pour in  a little white wine, beer, apple juice or water .
Cover tight and bake at 300.
If you are doing chops add the apples when the pork is about half done. For a roast add them the last 30 min.
When done remove the meat and thicken the sauce with a bit of corn starch.
Served with cornbread dressing  and fresh green bean will make the pickyest  happy.

Annie this can be done on just the stove top with chops.

Advertising:

Ruff Justice:
2 pounds fresh testicles   
1 cup floor
1/4 cup cornmeal
1 cup red wine
salt
black pepper
garlic powder
Louisiana Hot Sauce
cooking oil

With a very sharp knife, split the tough skin-like muscle that surrounds each "oyster". Remove the skin. Set the "oysters" into a pan with enough salt water to cover them for one hour (this takes out some of the blood). Drain. Transfer "oysters" to large pot. Add enough water to float "oysters" and a generous tablespoon of vinegar. Parboil, drain, and rinse. Let cool and slice each "oyster" into 1/4" thick ovals. Sprinkle salt and pepper on both sides of sliced "oyster" to taste.

Mix flour, cornmeal and some garlic powder to taste in a bowl. Roll each "oyster" slice into this dry mixture. Dip into milk. Dip into dry mixture. Dip into wine quickly (you may repeat the procedure if a thicker crust is desired). Place each "oyster" into hot cooking oil.

Add hot sauce to cooking oil (to taste). Cook until golden brown or tender, and remove with a slotted spoon or wire strainer. (careful the longer they cook, the tougher they will become)

Drain on paper towels and serve.

Delmonico:
The story of this one was a day several years ago when two guys could not decide what to cook:

Take 10 pounds of chicken, we used hidequarters.  Get a large meat cleaver and chop into pieces, making loud thunkin' noises to impress the tourists who have come to watch.  Put the pieces in a fourteen inch 11 qt dutch oven, this is the deep one. Throw enough water on to cover, add some salt and blackpepper to taste.  Put it on a bed of coals and simmer.

While it is simmering sit and look at the oven.  Ask Gopher Grease "what are we going to make here?"   When he says "don't know, you decide."  When you take control of the situation, add several cans of 'maters or one #10 can.  As an after thought add a couple or more large double pinches of sweet basil.  (A common herb grown in many gardens of the time.)   

When it is almost done and the chicken is tender, Gopher Grease will realize there are a lot more folks than expected.  At this time one of the cosies should add half as much regular uncooked rice as liquid.

The folks who ate loved it.  When our dear friend Donna came up and gave us each a kiss on the cheek for such a wonderful dish, we named it "Donna's Chicken.

What makes it PC?  It uses common items avalible almost any where in the time period.
And I'll bet we wern't the first to put tomatoes in the "Chicken and Rice."

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version