Author Topic: Rear Sights for 76  (Read 50524 times)

Offline larryo_1

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Rear Sights for 76
« on: May 11, 2008, 05:04:23 PM »
Tame Bill:
I got a '76 with a 28" barrel.  What Marbles front sight did you get?   Height and width.  I don't like my front sight that came with the rifle and painted the rear with white paint to help.  Got a Smith rear on order from BA.  The one that came with the rifle from Uberti won't stay in one position shot for shot and is a pain in the Buttocks!  So can you give some info?   :)
When in doubt, mumble!
NRA Endowment member

Offline Grizzly Adams

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
Rear Sights for 76
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2008, 10:03:35 PM »
Tame Bill:
I got a '76 with a 28" barrel.  What Marbles front sight did you get?   Height and width.  I don't like my front sight that came with the rifle and painted the rear with white paint to help.  Got a Smith rear on order from BA.  The one that came with the rifle from Uberti won't stay in one position shot for shot and is a pain in the Buttocks!  So can you give some info?   :)

Larry, which Smith sight are you putting on?  I just replaced my Uberti rear buckhorn with a Browning SRC ladder sight (Sporting Leaf) and had a Marbles front sight installed.  I had the rifle bore sighted to make sure of the height of the front sight needed.  Near as I can measure, it is 0.413 in height from barrel flat to top. 

Your best option might be to go to a smith who has an assortment and let him bore sight your rifle to the Smith.
If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in English, thank a Veteran!
COMNAVFORV, NRA life, SASS Life, TG, STORM Rider #36.
GAF

Offline larryo_1

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Rear Sights for 76
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2008, 08:10:29 AM »
Grizz:

The Smith that I ordered is BA # SM18004M.  I haven't got it yet as when I ordered it on 5/2/08, they called and said that it was on BA for a couple of weeks.  I can do what you suggest so will just wait till that site comes and do what you suggest.   ;)  The measurements that I have taken so far show the original site at o.303 from the top of the flat to the top of the site and 0.397 from the base of the site to the top of the site.  That is without taking it off the barrel and measuring it in place.  It really would be nice if they would have put on sites that we all seem to like better than the factory ones.
When in doubt, mumble!
NRA Endowment member

Advertising

Re: Rear Sights for 76
« Reply #3 on: Today at 05:20:05 PM »

Offline Grizzly Adams

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Rear Sights for 76
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2008, 10:55:38 AM »
Grizz:

The Smith that I ordered is BA # SM18004M.  I haven't got it yet as when I ordered it on 5/2/08, they called and said that it was on BA for a couple of weeks. 

That's a real nice sight.  Glad to hear it is available again.  Last I had heard, was that it was out of stock, and Smith was not planning anymore for some time.  Keep us posted.  I would like to get one for myself! ;D
If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in English, thank a Veteran!
GAF

Offline larryo_1

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Rear Sights for 76
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2008, 05:14:55 PM »
Grizz:
Here is what I have found out about the Smith sight situation:  I called BA today to check on my order.  Was told that I best forget Smiths as they are under contract with the military as is Jamison.  Asked what would be like that Smith and was told to look on page 129 of their catalog.  There at the bottom are two Winchester rear barrel sights.  So I canceled my Smith order and now have one coming that is the "Short Staff" sight.  Cheaper by a bit also.   Since I don't plan on any 1000 yard shooting-near-sighted ya know!  That short one will work just fine.  As for the front sight, Got one picked out and looks like I'll need a 0.410" to do the job but won't know for sure till that rear sight comes.  Since we are only a snort 'n a holler from BA, that rear sight should be here this week and then I'll know about those measurements for sure.

So, pass this around to those that might be interested.     :)
When in doubt, mumble!
NRA Endowment member

Offline Grizzly Adams

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2008, 09:55:55 PM »
Grizz:
Here is what I have found out about the Smith sight situation:  I called BA today to check on my order.  Was told that I best forget Smiths as they are under contract with the military as is Jamison.  Asked what would be like that Smith and was told to look on page 129 of their catalog.  There at the bottom are two Winchester rear barrel sights.  So I canceled my Smith order and now have one coming that is the "Short Staff" sight.  Cheaper by a bit also.   Since I don't plan on any 1000 yard shooting-near-sighted ya know!  That short one will work just fine.  As for the front sight, Got one picked out and looks like I'll need a 0.410" to do the job but won't know for sure till that rear sight comes.  Since we are only a snort 'n a holler from BA, that rear sight should be here this week and then I'll know about those measurements for sure.

So, pass this around to those that might be interested.     :)

Yep, that's what I had heard also.  Too bad, it's a nice sight, but the one you ordered is also a great sight.  Thanks for the update. :)
GAF

Offline OKDEE

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2008, 08:45:57 AM »
Hello, 

I am looking for a barrel mounted single leaf rear sight like the one below.  Does anyone know where I could find one?  Even if it is a replica, I think that would work.  Heck even something close to it would be nice.

Cheers,
Oklahoma Dee

Offline kurt250

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2008, 01:28:56 AM »
contact axtill rifle company. sometimes known" the riflesmith"check out there web site. they make wounderful tang sights for sharps, remmingtons, and wenchesters. i use them both. never any problem with them. gotzguns

Offline Grizzly Adams

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2008, 03:40:49 PM »
Hello, 

I am looking for a barrel mounted single leaf rear sight like the one below.  Does anyone know where I could find one?  Even if it is a replica, I think that would work.  Heck even something close to it would be nice.

Cheers,
Oklahoma Dee

Hi, Okee.

I don't know of anyone who makes a copy of the Lyman #6  sight.  I have an original example that I purchased off of ebay.  They show up there now and again.  Marbles has this rear sporting sight that folds down out of the way.......

http://www.buffaloarms.com/browse.cfm/4,5433.html

Also this type:  http://www.buffaloarms.com/browse.cfm/4,4895.html  There are many others shown in differing heights etc.

Ruger also has a folding sight that looks like the small Marbles above, that they use on the 1022.
GAF

Offline OKDEE

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2008, 06:17:35 PM »
Thanks Kurt and Grizz!  ;D

Both are great insight for me!

Cheers,
Oklahoma Dee

Offline Rowdy Fulcher

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 10
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2008, 08:23:32 PM »
Howdy Pards
After reading the post about the Smith sights I called hem today and ask if they were making Cowboy sights again .The person on the phone was a new employee and he said they were , and that was all he could say** BUT** Brownell's carried the sights . I got a sight from Brownell's about a month ago to put on my Chaparral .

Offline OKDEE

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2008, 09:21:00 AM »
I ordered a Riflesmith Short Staff Hunter, for my Winchester 76, from Buffalo Arms.  After shooting it couple of times.  I felt the eye hole on the cup was not flexible enough for different types of lighting( cloudy, sunny, rain ), or days when my eyes were stronger or weaker, etc.  :o

I did some research and felt that the Hadley Eye Cup, which has a number of different setting for the eye-hole, was what I needed.  Buffalo Arms did the research and found the one that fits the Riflesmith Short Staff Hunter and I got it.

I am most pleased with it.   :D

But now, I am worried that I may have to replace my Peep Tang sight on my Chaparral!   :-\

Oklahoma Dee

Offline Grogan

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #3584
    • Grogan's Photo Albums
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2008, 12:01:37 PM »
I ordered a Riflesmith Short Staff Hunter, for my Winchester 76, from Buffalo Arms.  After shooting it couple of times.  I felt the eye hole on the cup was not flexible enough for different types of lighting( cloudy, sunny, rain ), or days when my eyes were stronger or weaker, etc.  :o

I am most pleased with it.   :D

But now, I am worried that I may have to replace my Peep Tang sight on my Chaparral!    :-\

Oklahoma Dee

I have one of the Axtell sights also on mine.  At the same time I ordered a different diameter Disk to go with it as well.

So WHY are you "worried that I may have to replace my Peep Tang sight on my Chaparral"?

Regards,
Grogan, SASS #3584

Frontiersman: The only category where you can play with your balls and shoot your wad while tweaking the nipples on a pair of 44s. -Canada Bill

Offline OKDEE

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2008, 06:31:02 AM »
Hey Grogan!

Well, I have two different rifles, a Chaparral 76 in 45-75, and a Winchester in 45-60.  The Chaparral has a rear peep tang sight and the Winchester has the Riflesmith Short Staff Hunter.  After shooting both for a while, I now like the Riflesmith far better.  More adjustable and quicker and you know where you are at.  The peep sight on the Chaparral is harder to know where you are at.  There are no lines and numbers like on the Riflesmith.  I guess that is part of learning what you like and what is available.  A piece of the process of fine-tuning a gun.  I would like both rifles to have the same setup.  That's all.   ;)

Cheers,
Oklahoma Dee

Offline Silver_Rings

• Top Active Citizen
  • Gunfighter who shoots for fun.
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2009, 09:38:21 AM »
Here is a working combination for Marble tang peep sight for a Chappy 1876.  This combination gave me enough elevation for shooting to at least 200 yds, I didn't try it farther than that but it was almost out of elevation.  Here are the MidwayUSA part numbers:

part # 228273 Marble Screw set #19  $4.99

part # 995425 Marble Improved Tang peep sight base $59.99

part # 886927 Marble Improved Tang peep sight Standard Upright $34.99

I also changed the front sight to part # 583923 Marble Front sight .410 height .531 width 3/32 gold bead.

SR
Gunfighter, SASS 27466, NRA Life, GOFWG, BOSS, RO 1, RO 2

Offline Backstrap Bill

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2009, 10:01:58 PM »
I have been messing around with a Marbles bulls eye rear sight I picked up from Brownells.  It is part number 006951.

Since it sights on the barrel, the apeture isn't real distinct to my fuzzy old eyes.  But, it has made a positive impact on accuracy.  I am getting 4" @ 100 yds for 3 shot groups.

I suspect i'll end up installing a tang sight once I print enough money...
Ain't got to where I'm going, but I'm past where I been.

Offline concho

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2010, 07:39:56 PM »
Thank You Silver rings for the information on sights !

Offline reloader4410

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2010, 10:42:52 AM »
Silver Rings
Midway is out of their base, back order. Called Buffalo Arms & they said Marble's told them they don't make a sight to fit the 76 Chappy. Would you happen to know the Marble's part numbers for the screw set, improved base, standard upright, that you posted? I found the part number for the frontsight, #204131. Thanks in advance.

Offline hhughh

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2010, 02:21:04 PM »
Can't find a web address for Axtell or Rifle Smith.  Any help?

Offline Grizzly Adams

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: September 01, 2010, 08:58:40 AM »
GAF

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com