Author Topic: 66 sporting rifle "hump" in action  (Read 1194 times)

Offline nativeshootist

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
66 sporting rifle "hump" in action
« on: January 07, 2022, 05:50:10 AM »
I recently bought a 66 sporting rifle and managed to take it apart and clean the inside. One thing I've noticed between this one and my 66 carbine and my Henry is that at the end of the action cycle there is a noticeable "hump". I've located down to the left toggle. Anyone have a clue how to fix it?

Offline Slamfire

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 61
Re: 66 sporting rifle "hump" in action
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2022, 08:55:42 AM »
 The left toggle may be longer than the right or has a bent pin ( maybe ). That is what happen to one of mine, it was the center pin at the elbow (as it were).

coffee's ready,  Hootmix.

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2022, 09:19:41 AM »

:)  Well Now  ;)

Stock Rifle??  Stock as in OEM parts??  I'm of a PLUS ONE for Slamfire.  My first investigation would be for miss-matched links.  If the links are miss-match, the only fix is to replace them.  Same applies to links miss-assembled at Uberti.

Be me, I'd try a different set of links just to see what happens.  Just remember to keep each rifle's links carefully and completely labeled and SEPARATED.

Play Safe Out There

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 05:27:27 AM »

Offline Baltimore Ed

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 11754
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 189
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2022, 11:47:21 AM »
Empty or with a round chambered? If loaded is it slightly overcamming the round. Had a uberti 1876 that had a too long link on one side and it would do that depending on which piece of brass I chambered. Some wouldn’t at all, others a little, others a lot, depended on the thickness of the rim.
"Give'em hell, Pike"
 There is no horse so dead that you cannot continue to beat it.

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1180
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2022, 12:27:36 PM »
Did you verify that it is the left toggle by removing it and working the action and then no "hump"?

Offline nativeshootist

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2022, 09:21:38 PM »
yeah abilene, i will try what slamfire and coffinmaker have suggested. I do have my 66 carbine and have a "extra" set of pins from that.

Offline nativeshootist

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2022, 09:55:21 PM »
ate my words, was attempting to try and put the toggles from the other rifle in to the sporting rifle and the right toggle was not having it and wouldn't attach to the bolt end. the left toggle fit pretty good but snug. so I don't know if it is the toggles or if locking area on the bolt is tight. the links seems pretty straight to me but eye balling it aint good.

Offline August

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 24
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2022, 12:28:05 PM »
Check for clearance in the rabbit between the two bases of the lifter and lever springs.  The lifter has to be able to fall down, into this slot without interference.    I have sometimes installed the lifter and lever springs without paying attention to this gap, and the result was that the action closed reluctantly or not at all.  Also, it has often been necessary to grind away part of the spring bases to create enough clearance when installing new springs. 

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com