Author Topic: Cheap turning target for IPSC/IDPA/CAS  (Read 2321 times)

Offline PJ Hardtack

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Cheap turning target for IPSC/IDPA/CAS
« on: April 22, 2018, 01:41:27 PM »
For those clubs who shoot targets other than SASS 16" square steel up close and dirty, here's a fun alternative .....

A couple of years back, I made a couple of 'bobbing' targets out of 2x4s that are still in service. They are operated by a falling plate, opening door, etc., pulling a support stake out from under the swinger. Holding the arm up with a popper resulted in a lot of lead spatter on the swinging arm, so don't do that any more.

Just recently, I made a turning target out of 2x4s and 1-1/2" white PVC. Found the downloadable plans on the net under 'dofmaster cheap turning target'. Check it out.

I powered mine with bungee cord, but I think I'll switch to surgical tubing. The bungee cord loses it's tension quicker.

Many years ago at an IPSC match, there was a moving target that propelled a target across a window opening. It was powered by surgical tubing and worked flawlessly the whole weekend.

On the other hand, our club had a reversible electric powered mover that was nothing but a PITA to operate and eventually fell into disuse.

Simple is good .....
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do these things to others and I require the same from them."  John Wayne

Offline Douglas Sheridan

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Cheap turning target for IPSC/IDPA/CAS
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2018, 03:18:06 PM »
I’ve seen them set up using garage door openers for a mover.  If you have any breeze helium balloons on a string can get entertaining. For a turning target two pieces of pipe used for the stand, the inner pipe has a pin or bolt sticking out the side of it, and the outer pipe has a slot cut that wraps 90 degrees around the pipe.  When a support is released the outer pipe slides down and the pin moving through the slot cams the outer pipe around turning the target.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com