Author Topic: I Have Replaced My Henry...!  (Read 8611 times)

Offline mtmarfield

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1639
I Have Replaced My Henry...!
« on: June 27, 2019, 03:32:51 PM »
      Greetings!

Well... I was getting really lonesome, after selling my last Henry to TL; so, I took that cash,
and ordered another from DGW. Lovely, just like the last.
   Except.
   No Cleaning Rod Trap in the Buttstock, like the last one. I've eMailed VTI to see if they can
accommodate my quixotic needs, and I'm awaiting a reply.
   I've previously acquired the BACo 4-Piece Cleaning Rod, and I'm waiting for my miscellaneous
Sling Hardware to arrive, so that I can get to stitching. I've also just completed another "5-Shot
Magazine Plug".
   If VTI doesn't come through, any and all suggestions will be welcome!

M.T.Marfield
                           6-27-19

Online nativeshootist

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
Re: I Have Replaced My Henry...!
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2019, 08:41:37 PM »
I've emailed VTI about the same part. They said they didnt have  any left. Hope your new henry brings you many great m aw tches

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2019, 10:30:26 AM »

Well Shucks   ???

I must admit I haven't procured a "new" Henry in quite a few years.  I had thought about it as I only have four.  ALL of my earlier production Henry rifles have the Butt Trap for the cleaning rod.  I even have cleaning rods in all the traps.  They are very handy traveling with the rifle.

I am however, amazed and confused that Uberti would stop including the Trapp in the butt of the Henry.  Realizing full well the trapp does constitute several extra manufacturing steps and dropping the tarp is a cost savings measure.  But Damn, that little feature was special to the Henry and should have remained.  At various times, Butt Traps were included in other Winchester offerings.  I have seen them in original sample examples of '66s and '73s.  What a CROCK.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 06:42:58 PM »

Offline mtmarfield

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2019, 12:06:56 AM »
      Greetings!

Yep. VTI eMailed a response, indicating that A.Uberti had ceased making the
Cleaning Rod Trap.
   SO: I'll have to keep my eyes open for an earlier replacement. I'm very keen
on having that accessory available.
   I'd appreciate any information on the availability of a complete Buttstock w/ a
Cleaning Rod Trap, sale or swap!
   Until then... I think I'll make some smoke!

M.T.Marfield
              6-29-19

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1181
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2019, 08:02:20 AM »
...   If VTI doesn't come through, any and all suggestions will be welcome!...

M.T. , I would check with the parts departments at DGW, Cimarron, and Taylors.

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2019, 09:53:41 AM »

PLUS ONE too Abilene.

Afore you give up, Call everybody who might have one you betcha.

Offline mtmarfield

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2019, 12:07:07 AM »
      Greetings!

Will do! Can't hurt to check...

M.T.Marfield
                      6-30-19

Offline Tuolumne Lawman

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Grass Valley, CA in the Sierra Nevada Mountains
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 46
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2019, 09:40:12 AM »
At one point, Midway USA actually had some of the Uberti 1860 Henry sling parts.  When I did my .45 Colt Henry a couple years ago, I got some from Midway, some from VTI, and some from Numrich.
TUOLUMNE LAWMAN
CO. F, 12th Illinois Cavalry  SASS # 6127 Life * Spencer Shooting Society #43 * Motherlode Shootist Society #1 * River City Regulators

Offline mtmarfield

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2019, 12:04:55 AM »
      Greetings!

Well: Cimarron Parts says that they have none in stock, but are definitely not discontinued;
Taylors Parts says they're not available, and none in stock.
   TL, I grabbed a 'Winchester-Style' Sling Hook from S&S, and have a "Double Loop Buckle"
coming from "BuckleGuy". In a few days, I plan on making a trip to Tandy for the Sling Leather,
other incidentals, and advice. I will investigate Midway out of curiosity, however! Thanks for the
tip! IF the Sling doesn't look too god-awful, I'll post a photo.

Thanks, Everyone!

M.T.Marfield
                        7-01-19

Offline mtmarfield

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2019, 08:17:12 PM »
      Greetings!

I've finally gotten all of my parts together to make my Henrys "authentic sling", and considering that
I have no accumulated leather working skill, it came out OK. I lace it all together, looping it through the
buttstock swivel, and through the sling hook. I lift the Henry by the sling...
   And then.
   The buttstock sling swivel separates from the plate inletted into the wood. I carefully remove the plate, and
find that the snap-ring (?) had unsnapped from the relief cut in the shaft of the sling swivel.
   After about ten minutes of "No-Workshop/No-Proper-Tools" tooth-gritting, I actually get the tiny retaining
snap-ring back into its place. Seems tight. I re-lace the sling, adjust its buckle to what looks like a good
length, and throw it to my shoulder.
   And then.
   It pops out again. I don't know if DGW is open on The Fourth or not ( Probably not ), but they will be
getting a phone call from their thirty-odd-year loyal customer. I was planning on going out to the rifle range
tomorrow, and making a little BP smoke... Hell, should I just take this to the Colorado School of Trades and
have them silver-solder the ring in place? If DGW tells me to send the whole rifle back, I'm going to be  a tad
disconsolate. I hope that All of You have FUN tomorrow, as I plan to!

Sorry for the Bitch Session...

M.T.Marfield
                            7-03-19

Offline mtmarfield

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2019, 02:00:41 AM »
      Greetings!

I've noticed that the carrier is protruding from the bottom of the frame about 1/32"; should I
worry about this?

M.T.Marfield
                      7-26-19

Offline mtmarfield

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2019, 12:19:29 AM »
      Greetings!

I've just received my Henry Buttstock Sling Swivel back from DGW; their Gunsmith
put a weld-button on the pin, allowing it to turn freely, but NEVER to pop off again!
   BRAVO!

M.T.Marfield
                        7-27-19

Offline Tuolumne Lawman

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Grass Valley, CA in the Sierra Nevada Mountains
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 46
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2019, 10:21:29 PM »
      Greetings!

I've noticed that the carrier is protruding from the bottom of the frame about 1/32"; should I
worry about this?

M.T.Marfield
                      7-26-19

That is normal on 90% of the Henry and 66s I have seen.
TUOLUMNE LAWMAN
CO. F, 12th Illinois Cavalry  SASS # 6127 Life * Spencer Shooting Society #43 * Motherlode Shootist Society #1 * River City Regulators

Offline mtmarfield

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2019, 08:19:04 AM »
      Greetings!

Ah, OK! New to me.

Thanks!!

M.T.Marfield

Online Gabriel Law

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2019, 02:14:12 PM »
Sling and hardware pictures are where?

Offline mtmarfield

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2019, 07:55:05 PM »
      Greetings!

Well, since Coffinmaker allayed a concern of mine, I decided to make the 2hr drive to my Rifle Range,
and put lead into the backstop.
   First shots were with one of three boxes of  Ultramax .44WCF "Cowboy Action" ammo, which performed
well, and, at fifty yards, went right to the POA. Next came my BP handloads: Accurate #43-215C cast from
"pure lead" ( BHN 5/6 ), and sized to .428"; 28gr GOEX FFg, droptubed; Federal#155 LgPistMag; RCBS
Three Die Set; Ctg 1.57" OAL; assembled 4-30-17. Sidenote: by BP cartridges used old Remington-Peters
( "R-P" ) brass, and I actually had one split down to 3/10" of the web; well, looks like everyone's getting
annealed...
   Using these BP Cartridges, and shooting from a 'rest', I'm embarrassed to relate that my average was
"7-Ring", and my cop-outs are my eyes, bad notch rear sight, glasses, etc. Hell, when I was in my 20's, I
could easily keep my old Rolling-Block .45-70 in 2" all day. Alas...
   Photos below...

M.T.Marfield
                 8-07-19

Offline mtmarfield

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2019, 08:05:32 PM »
      Greetings!

The first target is the first five BP shots.

M.T.Marfield
                        8-07-19

Offline Yeso Bill

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 23
« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2019, 09:24:39 PM »
M.T.,
     Try a harder alloy before you trade in your eyeballs.  My guns group 1:40 at about 8" paper plate size but shoot good with 1:30 or 1:25.

Billy

Offline mtmarfield

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: August 07, 2019, 11:55:14 PM »
      Greetings, YB!

I'll probably go that route; I was thinking 'obturation' when I went to the soft lead. I wish that
they'd kept the rifling twist at 36"; I like shooting lighter bullets, without having to resort to harder
alloys.
   I LOVED your post on turning your Henry into a target rifle. You're shooting rather heavy bullets;
is that for longer range and fast twist?

M.T.Marfield
                            8-07-19

Offline Yeso Bill

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 23
« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2019, 12:34:13 AM »
I always loved that scene on Lonesome Dove where Gus pops the Comanchero at (how many?) yards.  Of course it was "just a movie" but the scene actually doesn't show how far apart they were.  So, that got me to wondering just what was feasible. 

Yes on both on questions.  I want to see how tight a group can be shot at 385 meters.  But, both the 230 and the 245 gr. Accurate bullets are just a little light at that range (understatement) and the weather refuses to co-operate.  Varying day-time temps from 80 to 104 degrees (104 today) play havoc with my velocities and yesterday the gentle summer breezes were blowing the bullets 14" at 200 meters.

But, the Henry will shoot.  I shot a 3.25 High x 1.06" Wide 200 meter group day before yesterday.  (One of those rare days that bullets fly inwards instead of outwards) 

The bullets will obturate.  I'm sizing .431" and the group was shot with Accurate's 43-245 Gas Check bullet - 1:25, using smokeless RL-7.  21.6 grains to be exact.  Velocity was 1230.  Today that load shot 1258.  I've had it go to 1271.  Who knows what it will be tomorrow?   ???

Billy

PS.  I started out with the 215 C bullet and just looked through my notes.  I saw within a few months that it was too light to do what I wanted to do but did shoot quite a few 50 yard groups under an inch with an 1866 Uberti.  Definitely put a .432" x .030" John Walters vegetable wad under the bullet, sitting on BP.  It will help eliminate gas cutting, improving accuracy.  I started with Swiss II and now shoot OE III.  I suspect your rifle and your region's heat and humidity will dictate which powder you use.     BP is more accurate in my rifles and this RL-7 is the only smokeless that I have found that will give the BP a good run.

Also, when I started, I couldn't hit the broadside of a barn with the stock sights.  (Too much glare.  NM is super bright)  I went to a hooded front and a Marble's tang sight.  In my case, the Marble's sights didn't live very long and I went through several of them before I switched to the Shaver's.     

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com