Author Topic: Evans Mould For Sale!  (Read 4322 times)

Offline Two Flints

• Spencer Shooting Society Founder & Moderator
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Moderating SSS IS a "Labor of Love"!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
Evans Mould For Sale!
« on: February 29, 2008, 10:45:45 AM »
Hello SSS,

Since there have been multiple threads regarding the Evans Repeating Rifle on SSS, I thought this thread about an Evans Mould for sale would be of interest to some of our members.  Two Flints

This 2 cavity mold has a steel sprue cutter and casts 2 base pour slugs with flat point and 2 base grooves. The Evans rifles were in .45 caliber center fire with cartridges 1" and 1 1/2" long for old model (1") and new model (1 1/2"). A C. fire re cap pin was present but appears to have been removed. The number "2" is punched on the mold bottom. A picture of an Evans mold is shown in illustration "V" on page 134 of "Cartridge Reloading Tools of the Past" by R.H. Chamberlain and Tom Quigley. These bullets measured just over 7/8" long and were most likely for the "new" model.

This mould being offered by http://www.joesalter.com/  Click on the link, when you get to the web site click on "New Arrivals"  and then scroll down to this Evans Mould offering.

Two Flints

Una mano lava l'altra
Moderating SSS is a "labor of love"
Viet Vet  '68-69
3/12 - 4th Inf Div
Spencer Shooting Society Moderator
Spencer Shooting Society (SSS) #4;
BOSS #62
NRA; GOAL; SAM; NMLRA
Fur Trade Era - Mountain Man
Traditional Archery

Offline Trailrider

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Gunfighter Zone
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Evans Mould For Sale!
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2008, 12:24:35 PM »
Howdy, Pard,

This would appear to be a mould for the .44 Evans New Model cartridge, as the bullets are internally lubed,whereas, I believe the .44 Evans Short used a heel bullet and external lube (a la a .22 rf).  The .44 Evans Short appears to be nealy identical to the .44 Henry Central Fire, a centerfire version of the .44 Henry Flat.  The groove dia. on my Old Model is .427"!  If the cartridge was different, I could easily shoot .44 Russians or Specials. 
Ride to the sound of the guns, but watch out for bushwhackers! Godspeed to all in harm's way in the defense of Freedom! God Bless America!

Your obedient servant,
Trailrider,
Bvt. Lt. Col. Commanding,
Southern District
Dept. of the Platte, GAF

Harve Curry

« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2008, 10:36:52 PM »
Yikes $425 ! :o
My Evans New Model carbine didn't cost that much. I don't have my notes handy, but I recall the groove diameter was .436".

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 04:23:41 PM »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com