Author Topic: 1851 Navy 'Signature series'  (Read 2970 times)

Offline Angel_Eyes

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
1851 Navy 'Signature series'
« on: July 14, 2014, 04:41:32 AM »
I have just recently aquired one of these. Rust pitted all over the bluing and case hardened finish.
Apart from that, the fit and finish is not what I would have expected from a much lauded model.
The barrel to frame fit is somewhat rounded where the serial numbers are, and having shot it, it is printing 7" left at 20 yards.

Does anyone have experience of this model, ser. no. is 34040, that is all I have on it's history.
I have been told that people bought these as 'future investments' but looking at this one, I can't see why!
Trouble is...when I'm paid to do a job, I always carry it through. (Angel Eyes, The Good, The Bad & The Ugly)
BWSS # 54, RATS# 445, SCORRS,
Cowboy from Robin Hood's back yard!!

Offline St. George

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS , GAF, B.O.L.D., Order of St. George, SOCOM,
  • Liked:
Re: 1851 Navy 'Signature series'
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2014, 10:06:32 AM »
I don't know anyone who bought these for 'investments', since they don't letter to the Colt factory like the earlier ones do, and anything bought for that purpose loses value immediately upon pulling the trigger, and becomes a shooter.

They were assembled by Lou Imperato, after Colt got out of the blackpowder firearm business.

Look in the 'back pages' in this forum for the threads titled  'Real' Colt BP Revolvers' for the full story.

Scouts Out!

"It Wasn't Cowboys and Ponies - It Was Horses and Men.
It Wasn't Schoolboys and Ladies - It Was Cowtowns and Sin..."

Offline Angel_Eyes

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2014, 10:16:08 AM »
Thanks for that,,,as you say, it's now a shooter and I will attempt to improve its performance, never mind it's looks.
Trouble is...when I'm paid to do a job, I always carry it through. (Angel Eyes, The Good, The Bad & The Ugly)
BWSS # 54, RATS# 445, SCORRS,
Cowboy from Robin Hood's back yard!!

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 12:41:55 AM »

Offline Frank V

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2014, 11:28:14 AM »
Well I'm a bit late to the party, but I'd be interested in how you get it to shoot?

I altered impact once on a replica 1860 by filing the notch in the hammer.
U.S.A. RIDE FOR THE BRAND OR LEAVE!

S.W. Montana

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com