Author Topic: Split cases after last day at the range  (Read 1158 times)

Offline Boone May

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Very Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 5904
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
Split cases after last day at the range
« on: September 13, 2022, 11:10:00 AM »
I took an original .45-75 rifle to the range a couple of weeks ago.  My "home brew" cartridges use resized WW 348 cases, Winchester large magnum rifle primers, about 60 grains Goex cartridge by volume, 350 grain bullet from Ideal/Lyman 456192 sized to .458 inches, lubed with SPG.
These two cases were damaged in firing.  One split open completely and the other has a small slit opening that light shines through.
Has anyone else had experience like this with the .45-75?

"There are a few things they didn't tell me when I hired on with this outfit."

Offline kwilliams1876

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Split cases after last day at the range
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2022, 11:47:42 AM »
I have formed cases from .348 brass. You have to anneal at least twice, once for FF and then again before reloading.

Offline Boone May

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2022, 01:43:36 PM »
I forgot to mention these were previously fired cases, they don't need to be annealed again, do they?   

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 01:21:53 PM »

Offline Buck Stinson

• Top Active Citizen
    • Old West Reproductions, Inc.
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2022, 04:15:11 PM »
Hey Bill,
As you know, I shoot my original 76's on a regular basis.  For the .45-75 and .50 Express, I have never used anything other than reformed .348 Winchester brass.  I have never had the problem you're experiencing with this brass.  I do not anneal this brass down past the shoulder, but I do know it is thick and tough as nails.  In your case, annealing down half way to the web near the base, might be the answer.  Also have to mention that I never use magnum primers, only standard Federal large rifle.  Keep us posted and good luck. 

Offline Cliff Fendley

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 360
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2022, 09:51:20 PM »
I forgot to mention these were previously fired cases, they don't need to be annealed again, do they?

Maybe, probably depends on how much they were annealed to begin with and such but based on your results I would say the answer is yes. I don't have any personal experience making 45-75 from 348 (yet) but I'm just basing on experience wildcatting other cartridges.

I would do as Buck mentioned and anneal them again down about half way so it's annealed in the area swelling to make the shoulder.
http://www.fendleyknives.com/

NCOWS 3345  RATS 576 NRA Life member

Johnson County Rangers

Offline greyhawk

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 49
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2022, 06:35:28 AM »

Are you FL resizing after each firing?
I made brass from 348 winchester annealed twice from memory - I dont resize - after about 6 firings some of it got a little sticky right at the swelling ahead of the solid head - I made a body die to just take that back a couple thou - I only have LEE dies and the FL resize die seems to reduce down way too much . My rifle is a new Uberti and the 348 brass fireformed measures .555"  but the 348 base is only .545 - so ten thou stretch there - would expect an original to be worn some (more than that)

All that said that one split case could be just a dud from the start

Interestingly if you google up specs for the 348 case they say base dimension is .553 - out of two batches of winchester brass bought twenty years apart I have not seen one case comes even close to that - mine is all around .543"-.545".....dunno whats up with that but is what it is.!

Offline kwilliams1876

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2022, 06:57:15 AM »
Almost looks like you are blowing out some lube wrinkles perhaps, use less lube and often while sizing if needed. Use 2-3 annealing's
kw

Offline Boone May

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2022, 11:26:02 AM »
You may be right, I haven't reloaded this cartridge in years.  The fired cases ejected normally.  They were bulged out pretty good though.  Maybe my rifle's chamber is a wee bit worn and larger than standard.

Online King Medallion

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 14753
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 165
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2022, 04:44:52 PM »
Your empty brass kinda looks like Uberti Chamber brass, with the shoulder too far forward.

Doesn't bother anything on my Uberti rifle, but shouldn't be like that on an original. Maybe I'm not seeing it right.
King Medallion

Offline greyhawk

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 49
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2022, 07:56:23 AM »
You may be right, I haven't reloaded this cartridge in years.  The fired cases ejected normally.  They were bulged out pretty good though.  Maybe my rifle's chamber is a wee bit worn and larger than standard.

maybe its just my eyes but the shiny case looks to be swelled more at the front end just beneath the shoulder than the main part of the body ?? My 348 reformed brass did that also - it took several reloads of black to get the body diameter out to the chamber size on the rear half of the case body (I found later that heavier boolits got it done a bit quicker) once expanded mine have a distinct swelling ahead of the solid head (enough to annoy me some lookin at them) -- my cases are not lopsided, I have not reamed the case necks and with fat boolits have almost zero clearance neck to chamber - enough that the case stands centered in the chamber for firing - maybe the Uberti is a little tight up front? .......it works good though .

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com