Author Topic: Weak Link  (Read 737 times)

Offline dusty texian

• Chief Scout Wehmeyer Ranch's.
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Dusty Texian
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 107
Weak Link
« on: August 18, 2022, 03:16:23 PM »
The weak link ,,,,No Pun Intended ,,,,, in the 1876 Winchester is the finger lever spring .  In originals this spring is what I have found to be the weakest part  in the 1876 Winchester mechanics . Looking back it's the spring that has failed  most  . Just yesterday cleaning 40-60  rifles the 26 " rifle was levered open and what do you know , the finger lever spring let go the little tip . Well its an easy fix , took all of five minutes to replace it . I will add a couple comments here . #One ,  the replacement springs made by Winchester Bob have never failed in my guns . #Two , the finger lever spring made by Chaparral will fit in the original including the screw threads (same ) . In the pic. on the left is a Chaparral spring for the lifter arm ( the Chaparral finger lever spring is in the 26 " now ) and the two on its right are two original Winchester finger lever springs that have lost the tips . When it cools down a bit ,  here in the invasion zone I'll tig weld  new tips on these springs then re-harden and temper them . Kind of boring , but its all I got !!! ,,,,,DT

Offline ndnchf

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
Re: Weak Link
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2022, 07:13:27 PM »
Good to know - thanks DT!
"We're all travelers in this world.  From the sweet grass to the packing house, birth till death, we travel between the eternities"  Prentiss Ritter, Broken Trail

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com