Author Topic: one part Tin to 6 parts lead ??  (Read 1466 times)

Offline Slamfire

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 58
one part Tin to 6 parts lead ??
« on: May 08, 2020, 10:31:33 AM »
 While I have been looking up old ( 1870-1900 ) ammo labels & ammo box for Win. lever actions ,,I noticed on 45-60 ,,-40-72 ,, 40-60's and others ,, this is printed on one side of some of the boxes." when reloading , use 1 part tin to 6 parts lead " keep the lead and moulds very hot . Does that seem like a lot of Tin compared to what we use today ? Kind of say's they weren't shooting pure lead !

Rainy day question.

coffee's ready ,, Hootmix.

Offline Dave T

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 908
Re: one part Tin to 6 parts lead ??
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2020, 10:35:00 AM »
Factory ammo was never pure lead projectiles. I would be inclined to think that might be a misprint and they meant 1-16 tin to lead, which has been a popular alloy, particularly with the advent of smokeless powder.

YMMV,
Dave

Offline Slamfire

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2020, 12:07:29 PM »
 Dave T ,, found a better picture of a ammo box ,, YUP !  1-16 ,,  also tells which size primer to use .

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 12:01:49 AM »

Offline Black River Smith

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 39
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2020, 03:34:29 PM »
Slamfire,

You found the correct answer and Dave T gave you the right info.

I have always tried to use the 'old-time alloy mix' for the old caliber bullets.  I finally found the better source for this info in the Lyman #39 Reloading Manual from 1953.  In it they have the reprint of a very early Ideal reloading manual they list just about every 'old' popular caliber and it alloy mix.

Very good reference to have if you like that sort of info, like I do.
Black River Smith

Offline August

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 24
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2020, 04:44:11 PM »
I use as much tin as it takes to get the mould filled out.  I think of tin as a "lubricant" that allows the lead to take the form of the mould.   I don't use any more than that 'cause it's expensive.   I have no idea what the ratio might be.

Offline Slamfire

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2020, 10:32:37 PM »
Well fellers i'm back ,, more info., BRS,, yes sir I enjoy history,, just found a original box of 44-40 for 1873 win. ( on internet ) , a ( green ) label in the inside lid  " use only Winchester # 1 primers ",, and list 3-4 powders to use ,and " use only pure lead " lube w/ Japan wax or Tallow ".

Neat stuff  8) . I shoot 10-13 BHN in both my 40-60 & 44-40 ( NO hot loads ).

Offline greyhawk

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 49
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2020, 07:48:00 AM »
I use as much tin as it takes to get the mould filled out.  I think of tin as a "lubricant" that allows the lead to take the form of the mould.   I don't use any more than that 'cause it's expensive.   I have no idea what the ratio might be.

I am with August .......tin is expensive

Offline Dirty Dick

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 15
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2020, 08:20:46 AM »
I have several hundred pounds of wheelweight metal in ingots, no idea of the Brinnell number, getting excellent fill out with the metal hot, no extra tin,  using Kroil for .44-40 and .45 Colt.
NRA Life, CSSA, RCA,

Offline Slamfire

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2020, 11:16:29 AM »
 I don't think I use to much tin in my mix ,, just found 10 # of solder ( i'm not a hoarder,, i'm not a hoarder ,, repeat ) I didn't know was in my unused supply ( pile ,, i'm not a hoarder ) . I use pencils  to test all my lead's ,, before mixing ,, "so far so good ", I mould a few and test w/ pencil ,, ( I think they get a little harder w/ age ) and I try to test to the softer side , if all is good I cast ,, if not add to the mix,, I try to write down how & what I mixed ,, but I use a lot of range lead & WW ,, ( i'm not a hoarder ). Anyway just a rainy day subject.

Offline greyhawk

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2020, 07:14:36 AM »
I don't think I use to much tin in my mix ,, just found 10 # of solder ( i'm not a hoarder,, i'm not a hoarder ,, repeat ) I didn't know was in my unused supply ( pile ,, i'm not a hoarder ) . I use pencils  to test all my lead's ,, before mixing ,, "so far so good ", I mould a few and test w/ pencil ,, ( I think they get a little harder w/ age ) and I try to test to the softer side , if all is good I cast ,, if not add to the mix,, I try to write down how & what I mixed ,, but I use a lot of range lead & WW ,, ( i'm not a hoarder ). Anyway just a rainy day subject.

Whats your pass fail pencil grades ?

Offline Slamfire

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2020, 12:06:25 PM »
Hey greyhawk ,, if my mix goes over " B " , back in mix ,, add pure lead , ( may be a little solder ) HB is to hard for me. B3-10 BHN ,, B2 -11-13 BHN . So far no leading ( use home brew lube ). Most of the range lead i'v been using is penciling at about 10-12 BHN ,, I know penciling is a guest-a-mate,, but so far it's working for me .I'm not a bench shooter ( per say ) , I weight and separate & shoot separate groups . I Don't press hard on my testing , just keep a sq.( flat ) edge. Hope this helps.

Offline greyhawk

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2020, 05:17:11 PM »
Hey greyhawk ,, if my mix goes over " B " , back in mix ,, add pure lead , ( may be a little solder ) HB is to hard for me. B3-10 BHN ,, B2 -11-13 BHN . So far no leading ( use home brew lube ). Most of the range lead i'v been using is penciling at about 10-12 BHN ,, I know penciling is a guest-a-mate,, but so far it's working for me .I'm not a bench shooter ( per say ) , I weight and separate & shoot separate groups . I Don't press hard on my testing , just keep a sq.( flat ) edge. Hope this helps.

Thanks!
what I am doing is not much different - didnt have a clue about the numbers to go with it though - I am maybe a bit harder - between B and HB - I bought a lot of lead cheap that was boolit alloy and am scarcer on pure lead so hoarding the pure stuff for round ball as much as I can. I have a biggish cast iron pot holds about 40 pounds of mix and I always keep a couple sample chunks to compare when I mix a new batch. That B-HB mix is giving good expansion in soft dirt at 100 yards where the boolit alloy (Lyman no 2 I guess) was not. 

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com