Author Topic: How much less recoil,  (Read 1018 times)

Offline onegunred

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
How much less recoil,
« on: February 28, 2020, 04:57:15 PM »
I shoot a fun load of 7.0 gr of Universal behind a 240 gr RNFP in a Ruger SBH. Three different barrel lengths, same load.  As arthritis sets in with old age the recoil causes pain after about 100 rounds. I can reduce powder but what about using a lighter weight bullet as well. MBC offers 165 gr, 180 gr and 200 gr.  Has anyone gone thru this and what did you do ?  I do not want to re-gun to lighter calibers, tried a 327 Fed Mag. and reloading them darn things is a PAIN. Besides I really like my SBHs.  Thanks, Jerry

Offline Dirty Dick

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 15
Re: How much less recoil,
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2020, 05:22:35 PM »
IIRC Elmer Keith's target load was a 240gr swc over 5 grs of Bullseye. The same charge under a 200gr or 180gr .44 might do the job as well.

DD
NRA Life, CSSA, RCA,

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2020, 06:29:38 PM »
We be talking Physics here.  Recoil is directly related to the weight of the projectile and the speed imparted to that projectile.  If you want to reduce felt recoil, reduce the weight of the projectile.

You didn't mention your caliber, but I shoot 160Gr bullets in .45s with no pain.  The only reason the Big Bore guns are most often found with Big Bullets was because at one time that was all you could get in loaded ammunition.

Forgot:  I also load 160Gr bullets in .44   If you really want fun, load 160Gr bullets in 44 Russian cases and .45s in C45S cases.  I can get the recoil down to that of a 38.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 09:27:08 PM »

Offline onegunred

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2020, 06:42:42 AM »
I forgot to say that it is a 44 mag. All I have is Starline 44 mag brass. My bullet inventory has over 2,000 240 gr. bullets remaining ( and 1800 rnds loaded ) and no one to trade with or sell to that I know of. I'm leaning towards the 180s, I will get a sample pack from MBC and give them a try.  Thanks for your input.  Jerry

Offline Dirty Dick

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 15
« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2020, 09:04:04 AM »
For what it is worth, when I shoot my old SBH with full loads one handed, I curl my little finger under the butt avoiding barking my knuckles on the trigger guard, I don't try to hold it down but let the gun recoil over my left shoulder (Important to not let go  ;D). No pain, the gun simply rotates in my hand. Your mileage may vary.

DD
NRA Life, CSSA, RCA,

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com