Author Topic: Uberti 66 carbine sight picture.  (Read 5025 times)

Offline Speedballalice

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Uberti 66 carbine sight picture.
« on: June 17, 2020, 03:57:44 PM »
As stated in another thread my "new to me" carbine is shooting 7" low at 25yds with a couple different loads.
Since I only have experience with the Uberti ladder sights installed on rifles I figured I would start my troubleshooting process by asking the forum members about proper sight picture on the carbine.

Please forgive my poor pictures.
Below is the rear sight in question.

The next picture is the sight picture I used. The tip of the front sight placed at the top of the notch in the rear sight.

The third picture is what I'm going to try on my next outing to the range. Tip of front sight placed even with the top of the rear sight. This should help but I think it wont be enough.

The last picture is the "aperture" I have to use to get it zeroed at 25yds.

Thoughts??

Offline nativeshootist

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
Re: Uberti 66 carbine sight picture.
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2020, 11:52:42 PM »
Have any pics of the front sight? If anything I'd assume you have a short front sight.

Offline Speedballalice

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2020, 08:18:20 AM »
Front sight.
I'm sure I can take some material off to bring POI up but 7"  at 25yds is quite a bit.
I think I would be down into the wide part of the sight.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 06:29:14 AM »

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2020, 10:03:58 AM »

:o  Well Krapola   :P

Unfortunately it's a Carbine.  Drat the luck.  Problem # 1.   Removing your barrel band may well be problematic.  In my past life as a CAS Gunsmith, I found the retaining screw to the barrel band to be completely frozen and the only way to get the band off was to drill out the thread side of the screw, running the band (which I was replacing anyway).  Your front sight is too tall or your rear sight is too low or a combination of both (you already know that  :))   Considering the rifle changing out the rear sight is probably the "safe" option.  Personally, I'd just flip the sight up and live with it rather than risk damage to a very limited production carbine.

Offline Speedballalice

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2020, 10:39:49 AM »
I thought about buying a new front band and filing it down. Save the original. Maybe I could file it down half way and split the difference with a my sight picture. But, if the front band is as hard to remove as you say I may pass and just use the flip up aperature as you suggest. Bummed

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1180
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2020, 10:55:34 AM »
It would look good with a tang sight.

Offline Speedballalice

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2020, 09:23:13 PM »
Drilling and tapping on this one is a no go I'm afraid.

Offline nativeshootist

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2020, 10:03:39 PM »
My carbine shoots high and I just adjusted how I shoot it. But you can get that front sight band off, I got mine off and I dont think it was that hard. Just had a good fitting screw driver and some force, I'm a trained mechanic so a stuck screw or bolt will come out one way or another. But no harm. So go at it on the front band. And I did no grinding or anything just a little persuading

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2020, 08:55:49 AM »

OK, Nativeshootist has been there done that.  To exactly how many rifles have ya worked on there fella??

I speak from the experience of dozens and suggesting an attack of the tools without explaining the possible problems.  Oh, and I'm a trained Gunsmith.  And Bad screws do come out one way or the other.

Offline nativeshootist

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2020, 10:00:52 AM »
Trying not to get under no ones skin. But I only worked on my own and like most uberti it had very tight screws. I'm just saying it's possible to remove that screw without cutting or filing nothing.

Offline Speedballalice

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2020, 02:41:03 PM »
I will eventually make a weak attempt at getting the front band off. But originality on this particular rifle is more important to me than the sights being perfect. I know its "just an Uberti" but it kind of a rare bird. If it will come off easily I will buy a second one and modify it. If it even puts up the least bit of resistance I'm leaving it be.
I do appreciate all the input from everyone on this and an open to more ideas.

Offline greyhawk

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 49
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2020, 07:13:50 PM »
I will eventually make a weak attempt at getting the front band off. But originality on this particular rifle is more important to me than the sights being perfect. I know its "just an Uberti" but it kind of a rare bird. If it will come off easily I will buy a second one and modify it. If it even puts up the least bit of resistance I'm leaving it be.
I do appreciate all the input from everyone on this and an open to more ideas.

This might sound stupid  but what weight boolit are you trying to shoot?? The 44/40 (mostly) does its best with 200grain but near everybody on the forums wants to shoot heavier boolits in it - why absolutely escapes me, but its like an infectious disease.
7inches low at 25 yards ? something is haywire with that - we have one of those Uberti carbines - it shoots a 200grain Blackpowder load to POA at 25 and 50 yards - no filing required and certainly has not had half its front sight removed .   

Offline Speedballalice

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2020, 09:25:58 PM »
I cast a NEI 454230 hollow base bullet. It usually runs between 240-250grains. It's a great black powder bullet with two good size lube grooves. It works really good in my Schofield and SAA. It's what I have and was hoping it would work well in this rifle too.

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2020, 08:41:13 AM »

:)  Well Schucks   ;)

I hadn't thought everything through (sometimes I don't think at all  :P).  I shoot a bunch of different Uberti 45 Colt brass rifles.  Henrys and '66s, and a 44 Special/Russian Trapper.  I don't shoot big 'Ol heavy bullets in any of them.  In the 45s, the heaviest bullet I shoot is a 200Gr RNFP.  Heaviest bullet in the 44 Trapper is 165Gr RNFP. 

While I use to shoot that Heathen Fad smokeless stuff, I have seen the light and now shoot smoky stuff.  It has made NO difference the propellent.  ALL of my Uberti Brass guns shoot pretty much to point of aim with the lighter bullets.  Even 160Gr .45 flying ashtrays.

I would not go chopping and channeling your sights until you piddle with different bullets.  Trying to shoot "whatcha got" is not so Bueno.  Often you will have to find what the rifle likes.  Kind of like trying to feed Broccoli to a three year old  ;D 

Offline Tascosa Joe

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 2770
  • NCOWS #: L-168
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 11
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2020, 08:16:36 AM »
Mine seems to shoot to point of aim.  I have shot .45 Colt 2F and a 250 gr Lyman bullet.  I think it is the 454190.  I have also shot Schofield with a 200 gr and 3F.  No smokeless yet.
NRA Life, TSRA Life, NCOWS  Life

Offline greyhawk

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2020, 06:51:18 AM »
I cast a NEI 454230 hollow base bullet. It usually runs between 240-250grains. It's a great black powder bullet with two good size lube grooves. It works really good in my Schofield and SAA. It's what I have and was hoping it would work well in this rifle too.

yep - shooting a boolit one fourth heavier again than what that Uberti was designed around - try a 200grain - RCBS cowboy mold is good in ours - the 200grain LEE mold is a nice shape boolit but lube grooves deficient for blackpowder - maybe you can cadge a handful of lighter boolits to try - but I bet it helps.

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1180
« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2020, 10:29:44 AM »
Y'all have it backwards.  While it makes less difference in a rifle than a handgun for sure, shooting a lighter bullet would, if anything, make it impact lower, and it is already too low.

Offline Speedballalice

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: July 04, 2020, 05:54:10 PM »
That was my understanding also. That a heavier bullet should shoot higher. Given the fact that it has only been to the range once so far I'm not going to judge it to harshly yet.
I just got me a new lyman 454190 mold that I'm going to try with some unique in 45 colt cases. I'm just going to try some different combos and try to enjoy this rifle. Maybe I'll stumble across something that shoots a bit higher in the process. The lyman casts about 10gr heavier than the NEI and has a flat base otherwise the bullet profile is almost identical.
I also may try it at 100yds with the sight flipped up. If it's pretty close I may call it good. Although I'm still not opposed to throwing a 44-40 barrel on it, just wish they were 20".

Offline greyhawk

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2020, 10:21:32 AM »
Y'all have it backwards.  While it makes less difference in a rifle than a handgun for sure, shooting a lighter bullet would, if anything, make it impact lower, and it is already too low.

How would that work?????heavier boolit, less velocity, =  more drop whatd I miss here ??????

Offline Coal Creek Griff

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 634
« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2020, 10:38:09 AM »
How would that work?????heavier boolit, less velocity, =  more drop whatd I miss here ??????

Generally, a heavier bullet has lower velocity, hence more time in the barrel. It also generates more recoil, so the muzzle rises more. Thus there is more muzzle rise before the bullet exits the barrel, leading to a higher point of impact. Bullet drop may be a factor at longer distances.

CC Griff
Manager, WT Ranch--Coal Creek Division

BOLD #921
BOSS #196
1860 Henry Rifle Shooter #173
SSS #573

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com