Author Topic: OK, all steamed up, coal oil burners and gasoline powered washing machines  (Read 64707 times)

Offline Texas Lawdog

• NCOWS Senator "Old School" Cop
  • Top Active Citizen
  • " We're all Here because We're not all There".
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
The old Poweglide will be 60 years old in 2010.
SASS#47185  RO I   ROII       NCOWS#2244  NCOWS Life #186  BOLD#393 GAF#318 SCORRS#1 SBSS#1485  WASA#666  RATS#111  BOSS#155  Storm#241 Henry 1860#92 W3G#1000  Warthog AZSA #28  American Plainsmen Society #69  Masonic Cowboy Shootist  Hiram's Rangers#18  FOP  Lt. Col  Grand Army of The Frontier, Life Member CAF
   Col.  CAF  NRA  TSRA   BOA  Dooley Gang  BOPP  ROWSS  Scarlet Mask Vigilance Society Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company  Cow Cracker Cavalry   Berger Sharpshooters "I had no Irons in the Fire". "Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie"?

Offline Ozark Tracker

• Top Active Citizen
  • my granddad on his mule around 1907
  • Liked:
I remember in 1967 we got a chevy pickup with a 327 and a turbohydromatic,  big 4 barrel and would smoke them tires, posi trac rear axle, sure enjoyed drivin it.
We done it for Dixie,  nothing else

"I've traveled a long way and some of the roads weren't paved."

Offline Leo Tanner

• RATS #401 STORM 330
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Life is Good
  • Liked:
Drove a 2 door Cutlass with a Powerglide in it.  Man, that thing would wind up ta the moon if ya put yer foot in it.  When it popped inta second ya was aimin fer Mars.  If ya was on the way ta church it was docile as a kitten.
"When you have to shoot, shoot.  Don't talk."
     Tuco--The Good the Bad and the Ugly

"First comes smiles, then lies.  Last is gunfire."
     Roland Deschain

"Every man steps in the manure now an again, trick is not ta stick yer foot in yer mouth afterward"

religio SENIOR est exordium of scientia : tamen fossor contemno sapientia quod instruction.

Advertising

Offline Wireman

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
That republic truck is cool, cool, cool. Very Rare to see one, much less running.

The Chevy with the Curved glass rear cab panels was nice too.

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
That republic truck is cool, cool, cool. Very Rare to see one, much less running.

The Chevy with the Curved glass rear cab panels was nice too.

Them guys and gals up there come up with some cool stuff. 

Wish I'd had a good camera when I was there cooking in 2002, some folks had a restored and running Stanley Steamer.
Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

Offline litl rooster

• Retired Cowboy... with saddle a 94 and the good book
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 310
Aww. Heck, Now I ain't even sure ah that. It was RED. The back wheels were bout 5' tall. The front wheels were close together.
3speed gears.  He sure enjoyed playin' wid it.

sounds like a Massie Harris 101 or 101 jr 0r 44
Mathew 5.9

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Did it look like this Wiry?

Almost had to have been, because with a quick research the 44 and the 101 jr were 4 bangers.
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Offline litl rooster

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Yer right about 4 bangers........I re read his post he mentioned the straight 6  Might of been a Silver Queen though
Mathew 5.9

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Yer right about 4 bangers........I re read his post he mentioned the straight 6  Might of been a Silver Queen though

I think it was a red row crop. ;D
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Offline Texas Lawdog

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Jay Leno has got some Stanley Steamers in his car collection, which he drives.
SASS#47185  RO I   ROII       NCOWS#2244  NCOWS Life #186  BOLD#393 GAF#318 SCORRS#1 SBSS#1485  WASA#666  RATS#111  BOSS#155  Storm#241 Henry 1860#92 W3G#1000  Warthog AZSA #28  American Plainsmen Society #69  Masonic Cowboy Shootist  Hiram's Rangers#18  FOP  Lt. Col  Grand Army of The Frontier, Life Member CAF
   Col.  CAF  NRA  TSRA   BOA  Dooley Gang  BOPP  ROWSS  Scarlet Mask Vigilance Society Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company  Cow Cracker Cavalry   Berger Sharpshooters "I had no Irons in the Fire". "Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie"?

Offline litl rooster

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
it could have been a Oliver painted red ::)
Mathew 5.9

Offline litl rooster

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:

worked on a Ranch out west had one of these, it work you the death gradin the road...
Mathew 5.9

Offline Texas Lawdog

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
I didn't know AC made Tracks that big.  I hope the folks at RFD TV sent some folks out there to video so everyone could enjoy seeing all that antique machinery and vehicles.

Offline Wireman

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Did it look like this Wiry?

Almost had to have been, because with a quick research the 44 and the 101 jr were 4 bangers.

LOL.... I was 7 er 8 when he had it.  Yer close Dell, The lay out is close. Rear Wheels were spokes. The Crank came out the front. The Exhaust came through the Cover over the motor.

I can see it in my minds eye, even though I have no clue as to what I was lookin' at.

I even remember Dad getting it started and warmed up, shut it down and take out ah plug and this Hose thing that would pump up the tires with the motor. Seems kinda dangerous, putting Gas in the Tires, don't think it made much difference cause they had Water in em' for traction.

I remember two brake pedals on the Left, the Clutch was on the Right and the Gas was like ah turn signal on the column.

Dang, the things you can remember about stuff... Still can't see the Name.   I see the letters, kinda gold leaf er sumpin'. 

Offline Texas Lawdog

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Almost every make of tractor had a different paint scheme.

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Some of those also might have had spoke wheels or even steel.  Crank on that one would fit in the front.
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Offline Wireman

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
I wish I could remember more about it. My Dad sure enjoyed messin' with it. WE had ah good sized yard back then, take two nights after work to cut it. He even made me ah Riding Mower I could start by myself. Had ah Wind up starter on it. Perfect fer ah 5 yr old. I was cuttin' grass fer I was old enough fer school. The smell ah fresh cut grass is sure pleasin' right to this day. I still have three of Dad's old motors. One High wheel 32' Clinton, ah Reel type powered thing and ah Craftsman Boat motor. The things ya collect eh?

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
They have a steam powered saw mill up there, here is the power:

The mill it's self:

Saw dust auger:

Wagon load of Red Cedar planks:

Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Offline Texas Lawdog

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
I love the smell of fresh cedar!

Offline Ozark Tracker

• Top Active Citizen
  • my granddad on his mule around 1907
  • Liked:
they have several little saw mills around here that saw nothing but cedar,  you talk about smelling good when you go down there,

there used to be a community called peanut north of us about 3 miles,  everybody moved away and it grew up into the forrest,  they say the only thing there is an old saw mill,   no roads in or out to it now.

the fella that cuts and bales our hay makes sorghum, he has the old rig that his granddad had, it is one that runs by mule power,  tommy has put on an electric motor now and still uses it every year,  he has about 3 acres of cane planted this year. everybody that knew his granddad says it was the best sorghum they ever had,  Tommy says when his granddad was cookin it, he wouldn't let anybody near, so nobody reallly knows exactly how he made it.  Tommy says his is not as good as his granddad. or dads.
We done it for Dixie,  nothing else

"I've traveled a long way and some of the roads weren't paved."

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com