Author Topic: Colonial Service Sun Helmet.  (Read 4592 times)

Offline Grapeshot

• Grapeshot. Cpt US Artillery
  • Top Active Citizen
  • WARTHOG
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
Colonial Service Sun Helmet.
« on: July 06, 2006, 11:10:54 AM »
I have perusing the last issue of "Cheaper Than Dirt" surplus catalog.  They have for sale a quantity of, as advertised, British Sun Helmets as used in the Zulu and Boer Wars.

I have two of these, One I have modified to resemble a privately purchased model as worn by an Officer of the US Army in the "Tropics" during the late 1880's to about 1916.

The other I've kept stock along with its attached truban.

Amazing where you'll find these things, and for $20.00 I thought it was a good buy.  Oh yeah, they are made in Vietnam.
Listen!  Do you hear that?  The roar of Cannons and the screams of the dying.  Ahh!  Music to my ears.

Offline Prof. A. Wickwire

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Colonial Service Sun Helmet.
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2006, 04:07:36 PM »
Grapeshot,

What modifications were needed to convert the one helmet to private purchase, US?

Do you have any images of the modified helmet?

Sincerely,

Prof. A. Wickwre
Now where did I put that fuming nitric acid?

Does anyone smell smoke?

NCOWS# 2511
NRA# 080060344
NYSRPA# 11983
SASS# 39766

Offline Pawnee Bill

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2006, 07:37:25 PM »
Grapeshot,

What modifications were needed to convert the one helmet to private purchase, US?

Do you have any images of the modified helmet?

Sincerely,

Prof. A. Wickwre

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 04:16:33 AM »

Offline Guns Garrett

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2006, 09:21:43 PM »
I'm assuming you are referring to the cloth band around the helmet as a "turban" ["truban"].  I think what it is actually called is a "pugharee", or "pukharee" - not sure of the spelling.  It is a representation of the turbans worn by the Indians and Sikhs.  The Aussies still wear one on their field hat - they are of drab/khaki color, but the Air Force (RAAF) has a single fold/pleat of blue to distinguish them from the Army.  They refer to it as a "pukkaree"  I'm wearing an Aussie field hat (without the band) in my avatar photo.  Rattlesnake Jack is the one to ask about outfitting the Empire.
"Stand, gentlemen; he served on Samar"

GAF #301

Offline Ol Gabe

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2006, 09:29:49 AM »
FYI, found the below ad on a Google search for 'Pith Helmet' at www.villagehatshop.com
Click on the pic for details, the comments on U.S. M1881 Summer Helmet are of interest. Lone Gunman wore one of the Cheaper than Dirt Helmets as part of his Marine Uniform at the first Muster two years ago, his pic was on the old TFS if I recall, perhaps he can post it again.
The Village Hat Helmet runs $18.25 in a batch order of 12, $38 for a single unit plus S&H. If anyone wants to make a group buy this looks like it is the place to go!
Best regards and good researching,
'Ol Gabe
.....................................................................................................................................................................................
B2B British Foreign Service -Zulu War
Style: 155806B
zulu-war-fs-helmet.jpg Price:$219.00
This pith helmet is designed to be an historically accurate replica of that worn by the 24th RoF in the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879. It is a real pith helmet, made one hat at a time. Thanks to the reenactor groups who helped with this design. These "Living History Units" have added that the Pith Helmet is also known as the U.S. M1881 Summer Helmet. Color: White. Size: Adjustable by means of a velcro ending on the interior sweatband.

The price per helmet is $18.25. The pre-pack is 12 units. Ordering one (1) means that you are purchasing one pre-pack of 12 helmets for a cost of $219 ($18.25 x 12 = $219).

Offline Grapeshot

• Grapeshot. Cpt US Artillery
  • Top Active Citizen
  • WARTHOG
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2006, 11:45:34 AM »
Yep, that's them.  As soon as I can get to it, I'll post a Picture.
Listen!  Do you hear that?  The roar of Cannons and the screams of the dying.  Ahh!  Music to my ears.

Offline Guns Garrett

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2006, 05:42:43 PM »
Coon Creek has the white helmet as well, $45 for a plain helmet, $69 with either the Indian Wars-era Army Eagle or 1892 Marine Emblem (EGA).  I didn't see them on the website, but Buck responded by e-mail and says he has 'em.
"Stand, gentlemen; he served on Samar"

GAF #301

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com