Author Topic: Smoky Mountain question  (Read 1357 times)

Offline DeaconKC

• Retired Predator Hunter
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 110215
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4669
Smoky Mountain question
« on: March 06, 2021, 08:17:40 PM »
We will be heading to Sevierville TN next week and I always hit Smoky Mountain Knife Works. I am wanting to try my hand at making a new knife for my CAS rig. Are any of the blade blanks there really good or any should I run from? Thanks
SASS DeaconKC
The Deacon AZSA
BOLD 1088
RATS 739
STORM 448
Driver for Howard, Fine & Howard
Veterinary & Taxidermy Clinic
"Either way, you get your dog back"

Offline KenH

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 123
Re: Smoky Mountain question
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2021, 09:23:44 AM »
Depends on what you're looking for.  Most of what I just saw on the website seems to be the cheap China, Pakistan type blades.  Even the blanks they show as "USA" are priced cheap.  Perhaps they're just profiled and not beveled or anything.  Are you looking for a blade that's already ground and all you need to do is put handles on to finish?  Do you want Damascus or plain mono-steel?  http://www.alabamadamascussteel.com/ is a decent choice for Damascus with fairly inexpensive Damascus blades, but are of good quality.  Made here in Alabama.

Another good choice is https://usaknifemaker.com/shop-categories/blade-blanks.html - the descriptions will tell if the blade is finished, or will need to be heat treated.

Good luck and have fun.  If I can help with any info just holler

Ken H>

Offline 1961MJS

• Top Active Citizen
  • GAF #: 797
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 32
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2021, 08:06:29 PM »
Hi

If you can still find them, I'd start with a Russel Green River knife of some sort.  Jantz in Oklahoma is out of many styles, but still have a few.  These are slab sided basic blades.  Also check Crazy Crow and Track of the Wolf.  I"ve purchased from all three.

If you have a drill press, or can drill straight down without one, and have a belt sander, c clamps, and epoxy, you're ready to go.

Later
Mike
BOSS #230

Brevet Lieutenant Colonel
Division of Oklahoma

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 08:37:29 AM »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com