Author Topic: New Spencer Won't fire $#!@*!  (Read 1087 times)

Offline 56-50mike

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
New Spencer Won't fire $#!@*!
« on: January 21, 2020, 10:47:53 AM »
Picked up the Spencer Rifle just before Christmas.  I was the Newbie in another thread.  Got everything working, I thought.  New mold; cast some nice slugs; worked up a good load. Made up a peep sight to see thru.  Took my new toy to a match and wouldn't fire  :'(   I had noticed the firing pin strikes were always on the light side, but it initially worked.  The strikes now were very light.
Went through the threads here, and after disassembling the action, couldn't find a match to any of the previously solved problems.  I did note the firing pin had a long travel before hitting the primer. Another member had reported peening visible on the firing pin pusher thus increasing the travel.  I couldn't see any peening, but decided to adopt his fix and added a thin (0.020") shim to the front of the pusher. This placed the firing pin closer to the front of the block but still several thou inside.  After reassembly, I tried a number of "blanks" (primer only) and all fired.  I'm guessing there was some compression somewhere (percussion plate; firing pin pusher????) that put the strikes from light to no good.  I've ordered a replacement pusher; I'm hoping it's long enough to do the job without a shim.
I did lock-tight all the screws; amazing how all of them will come loose!
Question; has anyone measured the clearance from the rear of the barrel to the breech block when the action is closed?  Mine swallows a 0.021" feeler gauge.  Didn't measure when new.  Maybe that was the problem???
56-50 Mike

Offline El Supremo

• kevintinny@hotmail.com
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 7
Re: New Spencer Won't fire $#!@*!
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2020, 01:03:01 PM »
Hello and nice to see your approach:

You might try calling Armisport/ Chiappa's Warranty Center in Dayton, OH.
They rarely allow direct conversation with the gunsmith.

My feeler gauge tests for fit BETWEEN a case head IN the chamber and block face, being sure the leaf is not resting on other surfaces, range from .006" to .010". 

I have also seen what amounts to too much travel length of the relatively light firing PIN. 
For me, too much gap, within reason, is not an issue using black powder, but inconsistent ignition will reduce accuracy. 

I have tried various primers and while my suggestion might raise objections here, I found Win LRP's seated .003" below flush in pockets FOR LRP's were more consistent.  I have had to lengthen pins one way or another like you. 

It's a process.

Respectfully,
El Supremo/Kevin Tinny
Pay attention to that soft voice in your head.

Offline 56-50mike

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2020, 01:53:57 PM »
Hello El Supremo (again),
I did a measurement with a case in the chamber and it was still 0.015"+.
Today was nice and sunny with 30F outside so I took it out to the range.  Fired 17 rounds with no hick-ups.  Even fired the "no-goes" from the Saturday match.  All went ka-blamo with no hesitation.
Did five shots off the bench and three of the five cut one ragged hole at 50 yards.  All were in a-minute-of -clay-pigeon ;)  I use Federal 215's with the BH209. 
I looked over the fired cases and there is no visible concern that might be related to the breech block gap.  The new cases were tight going through the RCBS dies, so I backed them off a bit and no longer full case size.  There's no indication the cases are bulging.
You're very correct stating it's a "process".
Thanks for the response,
56-50 Mike.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 09:08:28 PM »

Offline Marshall John Joseph

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2020, 06:16:06 PM »
I feel your pain.  This is a bunch of bull poop that Chiappa puts out a product with this common problem and denies it.  My New Spencer is sitting at Chiappa with the same problem.  I talked to customer service and they said that they have had no problems with the Spencer.  I talked to Cimarron and the told me they told Chiappa of some fixes but it fell on deaf ears.  I wish Pedersoli made a Spencer.

MJJ

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com