Author Topic: Got an original Winchester 1876 - share pics!  (Read 220905 times)

Offline Josie Wales

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Got an original Winchester 1876 - share pics!
« Reply #140 on: May 07, 2011, 12:28:38 AM »
That's a nice rifle KarlB and I have to say I agree with Buck.  Owning any antique Winchester is cool but when you know the history of the gun that's very special.  Also, not sure if your interested but it may be worth a look.....in the book Winchester an American Legend by R.L. Wilson on page 354 there is a photo of rifles associated with the RCMP.  One of the rifles appears to be based on the model 94 action.  Apparently Winchester made 32 of these guns in 30-30 caliber that they loaned to the RCMP for them to use in filming a documentary for there centennial anniversary in 1973.  In the book it says these carbines were called the MPX.  That's the only information I can find about them in the book.  At any rate it's a pretty neat picture showing a couple of the rifles associated with the RCMP. 

Take care,
Josie   
Dying ain't much of a livin boy.

Offline KarlB

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #141 on: May 07, 2011, 10:18:42 AM »
Thanks, guys... This place is a wealth of information!

Josie,thanks for telling me about that book!

I've just ordered a copy from Amazon.

I was once told that a collector should have TEN books for
every rifle (or other firearm) he owns.  That would explain
my hundreds of gun books.  LOL!

KarlB

Offline shrapnel

• There is nothing like the original
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Keeping what made the West safe, alive
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #142 on: May 12, 2011, 10:29:14 PM »
I just put an original winchester sight on my 45-60...

I never considered myself a failure...I started out at the bottom and happen to like it here!

Advertising

« Reply #143 on: Today at 07:28:36 AM »

Offline Sir Charles deMouton-Black

• THE ANCIENT SUBSTANCE ENDURES - ALL LESSER PROPELLANTS SHALL FIZZLE
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 396
« Reply #143 on: May 12, 2011, 11:00:46 PM »
Greetings!

I stumbled upon this site while searching for rifles used by the Royal Northwest Mounted Police... My grandfather served
with them around 1906 to 1909.  (Sgt.)  I recently inherited the rifle he carried with him on his adventures out West,
particularly near Fort Whoop-Up.  The thing is, it's NOT a 76, or 86, or a 73, but a 94!  Made in 1906, judging by the
serial number.

I have a couple of photos of him shooting it when it was brand-new, and a couple new shots of the rifle itself.

Actually, it's a saddle-ring carbine, with a tang sight, calibre 25/35.  Stamped into the forend is his regimental number.

I can find NO documentation that would indicate that the RNWMP (not NWMP) actually purchased these carbines for issue.

Does anyone have any information on the Model 1894 used in RNWMP service?

Great site, by the way!

KarlB

In Arms & Accoutrements of the Mounted Police 1873 - 1973, 1982 Phillips & Klancher some model 94's are shown on pages 62 to 64.  No serial numbers are recorded.  All 94's mentioned are carbines in .30-30.  Apparently they were used on northern patrols prior to the 1970's.  They were also apparently used by the air division, formed in 1937, and twelve were on record with them in 1973.  There is also mention of model 64's, also in .30-30, as "a secondary Mounted Police shoulder arm."  It is dicey to say a certain arm was NOT used by the Mounted Police, as some real oddities show up.  For example Sam Steele promoted the c96 Mauser based on his service in South Africa. Some Marlin model 99's are known but without any real paper track.

This .25-35 SRC model 94 is very likely a private purchase arm.  Its use on patrol was probably not discouraged.
NCOWS #1154, SCORRS, STORM, BROW, 1860 Henry, Dirty Rat 502, CHINOOK COUNTRY
THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT (SHOTS)
Those who are no longer ignorant of History may relive it,
without the Blood, Sweat, and Tears.
With apologies to George Santayana & W. S. Churchill

"As Mark Twain once put it, “History doesn’t repeat itself, but it does rhyme.”

Offline KarlB

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #144 on: May 15, 2011, 02:26:18 PM »
Thank you, Sir Charles, for the info!  Every bit learned is another step forward
in me compiling some sort of history of Grandad's adventures.  And not JUST
in the RNWMP, either - he was quite a character, very talented.  He was a
verterinary surgeon, accomplished musician and writer, and his brother-in-law
was Robert Stanley Weir, who wrote the English words to our National Anthem.

KarlB

Offline mlesniewski

• Citizen
  • Knifemaker
    • ML Knives
  • Liked:
« Reply #145 on: July 06, 2011, 04:33:25 PM »
Just spent some time looking through the posts.  Very Nice pictures everyone.

Matt

Offline Crotchety Old Grouch

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #146 on: August 29, 2011, 01:38:27 PM »
On the way back from a SASS match in Alberta stopped Ft. Steele NWMP.  In the Officers Qrt. behind glass, they had this rack of NWMP 76 carbines,  I noticed that one had the standard rear sight instead of the meter sight.  Did the NWMP buy any standard carbines?

Offline Buck Stinson

• Top Active Citizen
    • Old West Reproductions, Inc.
  • Liked:
« Reply #147 on: September 13, 2011, 08:19:04 PM »
The answer to your question is "yes".  The very first order that Winchester recieved from the NWMP was in 1878.  It is beleived that at least 50 carbines were shipped in this order, to I. G. Baker in Ft. Benton, M.T. (Montana Territory).  The NWMP ended up purchasing all of their 1876 carbines and cases of ammunition through I. G. Baker & Co. until 1885.  This first order consisted of standard "trade" guns.  In other words, these were carbines sold to the general public.  All of the early 1876 carbines had the short non-adjustable flip up leaf sight.  It was a slightly larger version of the same sight which was at that time, standard on the 1866 and 1873 model Winchester carbines.  Not until 1882 was the Spanish meter sight made standard on the NWMP carbine.  The gun in your photo must be an early one.  Too bad you don't have any of the serial  numbers from the guns in your photo.

Buck

Offline Scully fan

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #148 on: April 29, 2012, 10:59:08 AM »
Hello to all the people,
first off, my true compliments for all these marvels of guns. Some of them make me with eyes out literally, they are fantastic to ssay the least !!!!

I post here the two Winchester '76 I do own currently, both found here in Italy with a great effort (almost impossible to rely on abroad, for many a reason).
A 40-60 Centennial from the late 1887, and a 50-95 Express (nice but, not-professionally reblued) from the mid-1887 (I think, s/n is 566XX).
They are together with a Mod. 1866 carbine.
Possibly the later refinishing of the Express is what made it stay in a still reacheable pricing range for me, it should be a interesting gun with its British proof marks and the 22" barrel w/ half magazine! (A "big cats gun"?).
 I like it anyway, means almost eight months of extra-time paying (!!!).

Offline Scully fan

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #149 on: April 29, 2012, 11:11:02 AM »
Sorry, again pics are too small.
Cannot get them in a normal size. Maybe I'm so much unable as for the internet things ?...

Offline Grizzly Adams

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #150 on: May 03, 2012, 10:25:31 PM »
Hello to all the people,
first off, my true compliments for all these marvels of guns. Some of them make me with eyes out literally, they are fantastic to ssay the least !!!!

I post here the two Winchester '76 I do own currently, both found here in Italy with a great effort (almost impossible to rely on abroad, for many a reason).
A 40-60 Centennial from the late 1887, and a 50-95 Express (nice but, not-professionally reblued) from the mid-1887 (I think, s/n is 566XX).
They are together with a Mod. 1866 carbine.
Possibly the later refinishing of the Express is what made it stay in a still reacheable pricing range for me, it should be a interesting gun with its British proof marks and the 22" barrel w/ half magazine! (A "big cats gun"?).
 I like it anyway, means almost eight months of extra-time paying (!!!).

Very nice collection, Scully fan!  Both of the 76s are great.  I especially like that 50-95 with the shotgun butt stock!  Love those "cat guns."   ;D  Is that an original 1866?
If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in English, thank a Veteran!
COMNAVFORV, NRA life, SASS Life, TG, STORM Rider #36.
GAF

Offline Scully fan

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #151 on: May 05, 2012, 03:01:05 PM »
Hi Grizzly Adams, thank you.
The "Express" likes very much to me too, the only "shadow" being the re-bluing made so-so in not professional way (who knows by whom). The finish is top smooth and even, but with a totally wrong hint of blue  -  too much dark, even on the loading gate instead of "fire blue".

Yes the '66 is original in carbine conformation, just a slight varnish coat added much time ago.
Still a .44 Henry caliber,  even with a s/n #167,3XX wich results in a late example of '66.  Shipped from Winchester in late summer 1889.

Offline dusty texian

• Chief Scout Wehmeyer Ranch's.
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Dusty Texian
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 107
« Reply #152 on: August 31, 2012, 09:12:45 AM »
Here is my M1876 Winchester ,45-75 wcf. cal . 28 in. oct . bbl. Original Winchester tang sight . Along with the original Winchester loading tools . The old gun still shoots good with the 350 grn. lead cast from the original mould ,and 72 grn. 2ff black. It is still solid and sound .A trusted friend on the hunt . Still roars and will hit where you point it . I am happy to post it here along with these other fine rifles . Thanks.

Offline Grizzly Adams

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #153 on: August 31, 2012, 10:01:39 AM »
A lovely old 76, dusty texan! :)  Thanks for posting her. 

That's an fairly early loading tool with the spoon style handles.  Have you tried making loads with it?
If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in English, thank a Veteran!
GAF

Offline dusty texian

• Top Active Citizen
  • Dusty Texian
  • Liked:
« Reply #154 on: August 31, 2012, 11:37:58 AM »
Thanks Grizzly Adams .I do use the old reloading tools . They are in great shape for their age .Winchester had a good idea when they made these type tools ,they are easy to use and you always get the crimp in the right place . Thanks Dusty .

Offline Grizzly Adams

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #155 on: September 03, 2012, 07:45:45 PM »
Wish I knew the story behind this little rifle , looks like someone wanted a handy rifle long ago and this is what they came up with . It is still handy today . Thanks Dusty

The 1876 is a heavy rifle, and I suspect someone got tired carrying it around.  Looks pretty handy! ;)
GAF

Offline Ivory Slim

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #156 on: December 25, 2012, 05:49:46 PM »
I am trying to figure out how to insert a picture of my 76....help

Offline Grizzly Adams

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #157 on: December 25, 2012, 10:06:16 PM »
You will need to sign up with an outfit like Photobucket.  Download your pics to Photobucket and then copy the "img code" for the pic,  and past to your post on this forum.  :)  Give me a shout if you need more help.
GAF

Offline dusty texian

• Top Active Citizen
  • Dusty Texian
  • Liked:
« Reply #158 on: January 17, 2013, 12:42:58 PM »
Howdy Boys, Had a chance to take my Winchester 1876 /45-75wcf out shootin at the range . Load was 350grn. bullet out of an original mold,std.win. primer loaded with original Winchester loading tool, and 72 grn. of 2ff Swiss .Target @ 75yd,standing off hand. Not target grade accuracy but a great old vintage hunting rifle . My favorite I think. ..... Dusty.

Offline Grizzly Adams

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #159 on: January 21, 2013, 08:36:54 PM »
Nice looking rifle there, dusty!  Pretty good shooting too. :)
GAF

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com