CAS TOPICS > The Darksider's Den

.38 Short Colt

(1/2) > >>

Bunk:
Is anyone out  there besides me loading for this tiny cartridge?
With a 125 grain outside lubricated .375" bullet and .7 c/c of FFFg, which is a slightly compressed load,  it hits hard at SASS handgun distances and recoils like a .22LR.
Old West makes a heavier bullet, 135 grain or bigger but I  have not tried it out but should be a bell ringer.
The gun is an 1851 Navy with the Kirst Conversion with an unlined barrel so it will shoot cartridge or percussion.
Kind of neat having two guns for the price of three. Sound familiar?
Remarks welcome.
Bunk

Sedalia Dave:
I didn't find the difference in recoil to be worth it.

BTW 38 short Colt will not make the SASS smoke standard for BP categories.

Bunk:
True, but it is fun to play with.
And with that heathen fad smokessomewhatless stuff a pound of powder will load  with some powders sometimes over 800 rounds per pound.
 There is something to be said for that and it is just a cute little guy.
The Long Colt holds over 1 c/c but I am not sure how much. I have not tried it just yet.
Bunk

Advertising:

Roosterman:
I have a R&D conversion in .38 colt. I use full length .38 special cases with a 148gr hollow based wad cutter seated so it just clears the cylinder mouth. I think it holds 18gr 3fff BP. I smear lube over the sear mouths just like a C&B revolver. Works great. Plenty of smoke and very accurate. Never had anybody say it wasn't smokey enough and never had any trouble with knock downs, although everybody said I would.

Bunk:
Hello Roosterman.
That may very well be the original Gunpowder loading  amount but with a different weight  bullet. My Krist cylinder will accept that length case,possibly.
If I can figure out how to reset my heel bullet crimp die somewhere in my shop are a dozen or so .38 Special cases trimmed to .38 long Colt size.
Interesting
Thanks
Bunk

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version