CAS TOPICS > Gun Reviews

Anyone have a "floating firing pin" Uberti SAA replica?

<< < (15/19) > >>

cpt dan blodgett:
Took my brand new shiny 5.5 inch cattlemen in 44-40 to the range Wednesday. It has the much maligned floating firing pin. Pistol clocks just fine. Was it 3 clicks or 4 in  I did go boom every time with cci large pistol primesall the excitement I  kinda lost count. It did go boom every time with CCI large pistol primers. Groups centered left and right ab9ut 2 inches low with 6.4 grains of A#2 under a 200 grain desperado bullet. Is it a true authentic 1873 colt revolver. No it just looks like and shoots just fine even with the floating firing pin and only 3 clicks

RRio:

--- Quote from: Coffinmaker on February 02, 2017, 02:44:23 PM ---Abilene!!

Say it isn't so!!  PLEASE!!  That is just SO INSANE!!  Also STUPID.  And DUMB!!  Have Uberti lost their collective minds??

Coffinmaker

--- End quote ---

In a word... ...YES.    I just bought 2 Pietta that are awesome right out of the box.

cpt dan blodgett:
Follow UP  I obtained an older model Uberti with floating firing pin.  The ones with 4 click hammer and slots in the hammer where one can see the strut and some of the other mechanizm in the hammer.  It has functioned flawlessly with my reloads using CCI large pistol primers.  The older pistol hammer cocks noticeably easier than the brand new cattleman II.  It also has a lighter trigger pull.  I did notice when I had the grips off a washer between frame and the mainspring.  Have not had the grips off the brand new gun to see if the washer is user installed or factory.

The new model I received and posted about in this forum was working well until stage 5 of the May match went bang click click click click on both state 5 and 6.  After match I cleaned it really well.  I am guessing some of the Arizona grit got into the firing pin channel of the frame preventing firing pin from properly impacting.   After cleaning the pistol worked flawlessly for 50 rounds fired by 5 different shooters and also worked flawlessly in the June ACSA CAS match.

Advertising:

cpt dan blodgett:
Actually have a current production model that intially was a bit unreliable 2 stages ok then to stages bang click click click click.  Was going to send back to taylors but on the off chance it would help cleaned and put a lot of lube on firing pin and hammer hoping drenching the firing pin would also lube the safety mechanism.  Seemed to have worked shot a match and a couple of boxes of ammo without a hick-up.  Also got an older floating firing pin model of the wire. can see the rod etc thru slots in the hammer.  It has a lighter cocking force but has functioned flawlessly.  They both seem to work just fine and was it 3 clicks or 4 in all the excitement I lost count, do you feel so lucky as to stand in front betting on a misfire?

2TM101:
I just got a Cattleman 2 last week.  Its one of the conversion models that uses both .357 and 9mm.  My motivation was that I was going to use Black Powder 9mm in it because I have an unlimited supply of 9mm brass.  Consequently I would not have to clean up a bunch of grimy cases, I could just leave them there and use new once-fired brass for all my loads.

I have no issue with the firing pin - at least not yet.  But my 9mm reloads will not chamber in this thing.  They chamber and fire fine in my Glock 17 (that got some odd looks) but will not seat deep enough in the Uberti 9mm for the cylinder to turn.  Factory ammo seems to be OK but I never use that anymore.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version