Special Interests - Groups & Societies > The BROW Archive

Shooting Sticks, What do you use?

<< < (2/5) > >>

Deadeye Don:
Pappy,  Those are nice looking shooting sticks for sure.  Yours are the first I have seen that have been "dressed up".  Safe shooting.  Deadeye.

Wolfgang:
Nice sticks, nice pictures. Have a look at my cross sticks if'n ya care to at : www.drburkholter.com/cf9.html.

Deadeye Don:

--- Quote from: Wolfgang on July 22, 2007, 10:06:31 PM ---Nice sticks, nice pictures. Have a look at my cross sticks if'n ya care to at : www.drburkholter.com/cf9.html.

--- End quote ---

Nice cross sticks.  What did you use for the pivot point?

Advertising:

James Hunt:
With the advent of long range black powder cartridge shooting most all are familiar with what we often call shooting sticks or cross sticks to steady the heavy rifle barrel. We are all familiar with the fact that buffalo hunters used them, but often the reference is lacking if questioned and a Remington or modern painting seems the only documentation we recall. I post the following two primary source descriptions of these items for your use.

One is commented on by a buffalo hunter, the other concerns a Texas ranger considered an outstanding shot by his peers. There is no indication that either source was aware of each other although both hailed from Texas. In both cases the term "rest sticks" is used. That should probably be the term we employ at any historical event until further documentation suggests something else.

The first description is from Frank Mayer in "The Buffalo Harvest" by Mayer and Roth, prepared at the end of Mayer's life and originally edited by Roth in 1958 and reprinted in 1995 by Pioneer Press. From page 44:

"A heavy rifle fired so close to the ground reverberates and causes more sound than one fired higher above it. So if you were prone while firing you would soon frighten your game away. We used rest sticks which put us about thirty inches above the ground, we either sat while we fired or fired from a kneeling position.

"The sticks were a simple device, merely two pieces of hard wood bolted together so as to provide a crotch in which you put the heavy barrel, held the barrel and sticks steady with the left hand, which made shooting almost like using a bench rest."

On page 43 Mayer, now an old man, demonstrated the use of rest sticks with his Sharps in a photograph. The sticks appear about three feet long, and his hand is gripping them near the top with the rifle forearm sitting upon the crotch of the sticks, and perhaps the upper part of his hand while he is assuming a kneeling position. Note that he said a bolt connected the sticks although this cannot be seen in the picture. The sticks appear to be about an inch thick although it is difficult to tell if they are round or flat sided.

Note that he does not describe or show any towel, leather or other contraption attached to the sticks to rest the rife forearm or barrel in as is so often the case with modern shooters and commercially prepared "rest sticks".

The other source is from a Texas Ranger officer, Lieutenant Baylor who was considered an outstanding shot. He had gotten rid of his .44-40 carbine and favored a .45-70 Springfield sporting rifle for Indian fighting. James B. Gillett writes in his excellent book "Six Years with the Texas Rangers 1875 to 1881" (available from University of Nebraska Press) on page 144:

"He always used what he called rest sticks; that is, two sticks about three feet long the size of one's little finger. These were tied
together about four or five inches from one end with a buckskin thong. In shooting he would squat down, extend the sticks an arm's length out in front of him with the longer ends spread out tripod-fashion on the ground.

Note the similar length, although Mayer's sticks seem a little more robust. Note the common use of the term "rest sticks". Note their simplicity. No fancy attachments, multiple holes for adjustments, or anything else seen on the modern product.

Before taking too much pride in our modern gussied up "rest sticks" and our shooting ability we should remember that these were guy's who not only could shoot with the best today but also were doing it after estimating the range and using more primitive equipment.

Delmonico:
Trust me James, if I ever get a chance to do a "Living History" event where I get to see if I can make a stand on a real, wild, herd of buffalo I will go down to the creek and cut me a couple of sticks to use, might not even bath for a few weeks before and wear the same clothes as long. ;)

However the true target shooting of the time as opposed to hunting either four legged or two legged beast required the supporting of the rifle with just your body.  BTW if you choose to rest the fore-end instead of the barrel on the sticks that padding helps to keep the fore-end from getting all scratched up.  Mine shoots better with the fore-end rested rather than the barrel, other's milage on this one varies. ;)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version