Special Interests - Groups & Societies > Uberti, Pietta and other SAA Clones

Cimarron (Pietta) Custer Mini Review

(1/2) > >>

Roshi:
I was so impressed with what I got for $ 410 in a Cimarron Pietta New Frontier 4 3/4 barrel in .357 that I ordered a Custer model from Davidson's which cost me $ 445 out the door.  This is basically the Pietta old model frame 7 1/2 half inch New Frontier in .45 Colt with "Custer" markings.

The gun is well finished and the fit of all exterior parts is great.  Came with only a thumb screw style cylinder pin screw which I don't care for.  I ordered two regular ones from Cimarron but I think it should have come with one.  The markings are nearly the same as their standard New Frontier with just a small "US" on the frame and a poorly executed cartouche on the grip.  The one on my was not only light but also a double strike.

Same oversize bolt at .150 with slots running .147 to .149. I polished the bolt down to .148.  This pistol also has the coil spring for the hand and the lightened mainspring of the other New Frontier I have.  There were a few burrs easily removed from the hammer.  The bolt was very tight on its screw so I used fine sandpaper to polish the screw. Since trigger pull was also heavy on this gun I looked closely at the hammer and trigger and the trigger profile was totally flat and not polished smooth.  I broke the back edge slightly and polished it.  After cleaning and greasing (TW25B) and reassembly the trigger pull was better.  Cocking is smooth and lock up is great.  On half cock the chambers are lined up in the loading gate.  The bore on this gun was clean compared to the .357 I got.

To the range tomorrow to see how it shoots.

My conclusion?  Pietta is making good SAA's but this "Custer" is not worth the extra $ 35 to $ 50 over the standard 7 1/2 inch old frame New Frontier.  The Pietta "Custer" is no where as nice as the Uberti version from years ago with its fire bluing, patent dates, serial numbering, and perfect cartouche.  However, that gun was more expensive and doesn't appear to be readily available from Cimarron.

Abilene:
Cimarron still carries the Uberti-made Cavalry and had some in stock a week ago.  Not charcoal blue, though, although they did have the Artillery in charcoal blue. 

I hope you get the proper slotted base pin screws for the Pietta.   The last I heard, which was several months ago, Pietta did not yet have one available, but maybe they do now.  The Uberti screws are a different size.

Roshi:
I got a spare cylinder rod retaining screw in from Cimarron but it's not long enough for the Pietta.  It's likely one for an Uberti.  I've emailed Cimarron.

Advertising:

Roshi:
Fired it today and surprisingly enough it shoots to the point of aim!

Harley Starr:

--- Quote from: Roshi on October 28, 2012, 06:31:04 PM ---Fired it today and surprisingly enough it shoots to the point of aim!

--- End quote ---

Sounds like a keeper.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version