1/2 cup butter or margarine
1/4 cup dry skim milk
1 cup applesauce
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon allspice
2 teaspoons baking soda
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 each large egg, well beaten

Mix together the starter, milk, flour, and applesauce, and let stand in a covered bowl in a warm place. Cream together the sugars and butter. Add the beaten egg and mix well. Add spices. You may also add a half cup of raisins or chopped nuts, or a mixture of the two. Beat by hand until well mixed and no lumps remain. Bake at 350 degrees for half to three quarters of an hour. Test for doneness with a knife when half an hour is up. Allow to cool until cold before cutting and serving.

Camille Eonich:
Dump Cobbler               

Recipe by: Ricky E. George Fort Worth Fire Department

1 stick of butter
2 cups of sugar
1 1/2 cups of flour
2 tsp salt
2 tsp baking powder
1 1/2 cups of milk
 2 cans pie ( apple, strawberry, blueberry, cherry or peach )
Melt butter in 8" x 16" pan. Mix all ingredients, except pie filling in a bowl. Pour mix into pan with melted butter. Add pie filling spread evenly throughout mix, bake at 350 degrees for approximately1 hour.

Delmonico:
With Christmas only a little over a couple months away I thought you might like this one.  This was one my Grandma Carman always baked at Christmas.  Dad thinks she got the recipe from her grandma.

I did something few will do, I put this up as Grandma left it to us, but I did a little back engineering cause I know it has been updated because it calls for shortening.  My Grandmother would have understood, she loved history also.

Orange Delight Cookies

3/4 cup shortening
1 1/2 cups brown sugar
2 eggs
1/2 cup sour milk
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 1/2 teaspoon grated orange peel
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
2 teaspoons baking powder
3 cups flour
3/4 cup of English walnut meats finely chopped
1/4 teaspoon salt

Cream the shortening and brown sugar.  Beat the eggs, vanilla, orange peel, baking soda and sour milk creamed shortening.   Mix the flour, baking powder, salt and the nutmeats, stir into the mixture.  Make a drop cookie and bake in a 350 degree oven till done. (10 to 12 minutes)  While hot spread with the topping mixture.

Topping
1 1/2 teaspoons grated orange peel
1/3 cup orange juice
1 cup white sugar

This will make a grainy topping.

More historically correct would be to use half lard and half butter.  My guess (educated?) it that this recipe evolved in the time just after the Civil War from a basic cookie recipe, most likely with black walnuts.  The added orange and the English walnuts adds to my theroy that it was developed for a Christmas treat when these became some what easy to obtain over in wester Iowa.  My Grandmother never made it with black walnuts even though she raised them in the orchard.

The original cookie most likely used baking soda or even pearlash, depending on the time period it was used.  The extra baking powder raises it even more, making it cake like.

If my grandmother got this from her grandmother, she may have been the originator of it.  My grandmother passed on in 1991 and was born in 1904, her grandmother should have been about the right age to have originated it, becuse the oranges would have been hard to get in the US till about the time of the Civil War.

I have never seen another recipe quite like this one, if your family has a similar one or you try it and enjoy it let me know

Advertising:

Delmonico:
A little over 2 months to go, get to bakin'.  Anise cookies have been a tradition in many parts of the world for many years.

To those who don't know, anise is a seed of the anise plant, part of the parsley family, a relative of carrot and dill.  Even though the taste is similar to licorice, it is not the same, licorice flavor is from the root of the licorice plant, this is a legume, a relative of the pea and bean.  So don't be callin' these licorice cookies or I'll have to go inta one of my frothin' rages, not good when makin' cookies, maybe ok fer meringue pie cause no one would notice.

This one has also been in our family for many years and I would say it dates to at least before the Civil War by many years cause it uses 1/4 teaspoon cream of tarter and 1/2 teaspoon bakin' soda (salertus).  One can just use 1 teaspoon bakin' powder for the same results.

Anise Snaps

1 1/2 cups flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon cream of tarter
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup butter
3/4 cup white sugar
1 beaten egg
1 tablespoon anise seed

Mix together dry ingrdieants, Cream butter and sugar.  Add dry mixture and anise seed.  Mix well until blended.  Chill for at least 2 hours.  Heat oven to 350. (Medium Hot)  Roll dough 1/8 inch thick and cut into desired shapes.  Bake 12-15 minutes on ungreased baking sheet.

This next ones are of German origin.

Springerle

2 eggs
1 cup white sugar
2 1/4 cups flour
anise seed

Beat egg and sugar for 5 minutes, mix in enough flour to make a stiff workable dough.  Cover and chill for 2 hours

Roll out 1/8 inch thick, cut and sprinkle with anise seed, let dry 10 hours and bake in 325 degree (medium hot) oven on ungreased baking sheet, 1/2 inch apart for 12-15 minutes.

Delmonico:
Dried fruit was a common item on the overland trails and in chuck wagons, canned fruit has been around since the late 1830's, but besides being more expensive that dried it also added much more weight from both the liquid and the can. 

In fact this is said to have come from the overland trail days:

Spit in my ear and the'll me lies,
but don't make me eat no more dried apple pies.

Apples, prunes and raisins were the cheapest and most common dried fruit.

Apricots in my opinion are the best dried fruit and today I decided to make a cobbler out of some, it was so good I had to have seconds.

Any one who has seen me knows I seldom use measuring devices so I sometimes have trouble writing down recipes after I experiment, but I can duplicate them in the kitchen.  You don't have to be real exact on many things so I'll write this as a 19th century cook book would with explanations.

Take 2 handfuls of dried apricots ('bout 2 cups) and put them in an enameled sauce pan. (cast iron will darken the fruit)  add a half handful of brown sugar ('bout 1/2 cup) cover with water and simmer till plumped. ('bout an hour, add water if needed)  Let cool while making the crust.

Take 2 handfuls of flour ('bout 2 cups)  and add about a heaping teaspoon of backing powder. (2 teaspoons) mix and also mix in a handful of brown sugar. ('bout a cup) Cut in a hunk of butter the size of 2 walnuts. ('bout a half stick)  Mix in enough milk to make a sticky dough.  ('bout 2/3 cup)  Mix but do not knead.  Take a heaping teaspoon of flour (yep 2 teaspoons) and mix in enough water to make a thin batter. ('bout a 1/3 cup)  Mix with the fruit and put the fruit in a deep 9X9 dish. 

Flour the rolling surface and the top of the dough lightly and roll out 1/4 to 3/8 inch thick.  The dough will be hard to pick up in one piece so just pick up pieces of it and cover the fruit.  Take a half handful of brown sugar ('bout half a cup) and a hunk of butter the size of a walnut ('bout a 1/4 stick) and mix well and sprinkle on the top. 

Bake in a hot oven (375-400) for 'bout 30-45 minutes or until the crust is browned.

Brown sugar was more common because it was cheaper.

Second Version:

Tried a different version of this today.  Prepare the fruit as before but for the crust, take:

1 12 oz can of milk (fresh will work but scald the milk and let it cool)
2 eggs (beaten)
3-4 cups of flour
1 package of yeast
a bit of salt (optional)
1/2 cup brown sugar

Dissolve the yeast, sugar and salt in the milk, add the eggs and stir.  Add enough flour to make a stiff dough and knead well.  Let rise till double, ('bout an hour)  Knead well again and take half the dough and roll it out about 1/4 to 3/8 inch thick.  Cover the fruit in a 9X9 dish.  Let rise till double and bake at 375 for 30-40 minutes or until nice and brown.  When slightly cool take 1/2 cup powder sugar and enough water (2-3 teaspoons) to make a thick past, drizzle it on top and let cool.

Since I use canned milk we have dough left over, you can cut it in half with fresh milk.  What I did was roll out the dough about 1/4 inch thick.  I then coated it with melted butter, spread brown sugar on it and sprinkled it with cinnamon.  I rolled it up, sealed it and when it rose I baked it with the cobbler, add 1/4 cup more powdered sugar to the frosting and frost it also.  Slice and eat.  Two desserts and not much more work than one.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version