Author Topic: NCOWS guncarts  (Read 38885 times)

Offline Froogal

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3882
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 584
Re: NCOWS guncarts
« Reply #80 on: December 24, 2022, 12:55:58 PM »
I shoot just one rifle and 2 handguns. Wife shoots just one rifle and one handgun. Handguns are carried in holsters on the cartridge belt, so that leaves just a rifle for each of us to carry, plus the range bag with the ammo in it which CAN be a bit heavy, but we manage. Our shooting range is at the bottom of a steep hill. No problem carrying the gear DOWN the hill, but after shooting all of the stages, packing everything back up the hill can be a bit of a challenge. Yes, a gun cart would be nice, but pushing a cart UP that hill wouldn't be easy either.

Several shooters in our group DO use a gun cart and nobody complains. Without the cart, those folks might just have to give up and not participate. We need everybody that wants to show up. If a gun cart makes it easier for you, then come on down.

Offline Iron City Sage

• NCOWS Member
  • Active citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 16
« Reply #81 on: December 24, 2022, 01:37:51 PM »

PS I didn't know it got cold enough in AL to have to break ice ;D ;D
T-Joe

It usually doesn’t!

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1214
« Reply #82 on: December 24, 2022, 02:25:34 PM »
...Our shooting range is at the bottom of a steep hill. No problem carrying the gear DOWN the hill, but after shooting all of the stages, packing everything back up the hill can be a bit of a challenge. ...

At least the empty brass is a lot lighter going up the hill than when it had lead in it on the way down.  :)

Advertising

« Reply #83 on: Today at 11:18:37 PM »

Offline River City John

• NCOWS Senator
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Mr. & Mrs. John Covert
  • NCOWS #: L-146
  • GAF #: 275
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 472
« Reply #83 on: December 24, 2022, 02:36:50 PM »
At least the empty brass is a lot lighter going up the hill than when it had lead in it on the way down.  :)

That's the perfect mantra for any shoot. "It only gets better as you go".
"I was born by the river in a little tent, and just like the river I've been running ever since." - Sam Cooke
"He who will not look backward with reverence, will not look forward with hope." - Edmund Burke
". . .freedom is not everything or the only thing, perhaps we will put that discovery behind us and comprehend, before it's too late, that without freedom all else is nothing."- G. Warren Nutter
NCOWS #L146
GAF #275

Offline Tascosa Joe

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 2770
  • NCOWS #: L-168
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 11
« Reply #84 on: December 25, 2022, 11:19:38 AM »
A couple of gun carts that stand out in my mind:  A lady who shot with us at the Nationals in Evansville carried her guns in a Victorian baby carriage.  The other was a trunk mounted on a railroad baggage dolly all the gear was in the trunk.  It belonged to Johnson Barr.
NRA Life, TSRA Life, NCOWS  Life

Offline Johnson Barr

• Berger Sharpshooters, KVC, Blue River Regulators #129, Johnson County Rangers, GAF
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NRA Life, TSRA Life, NCOWS Life, NCOWS Merchant
    • J Barr Texas
  • NCOWS #: L-173
  • GAF #: 830
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #85 on: December 26, 2022, 02:32:29 PM »
My 'cart' is loosely based on a railroad platform dolly. Finished version is built to the need of transporting firearms, ammo and other firing line essentials. The plow handles are from Farmer Browns Plow Shop, the 14" steel rimmed wagon wheels are Amish built, the dome top trunk came from Hobby Lobby and holds all the necessaries including pistols and leather. The enamel signage is from any number of railroad memorabilia store fronts. Other than that it was just a matter of diddling all the parts into a usable transport. It's been a number of years now that I have shot in 4-gun categories; I prefer 2-gun Working Cowboy. More time to visit with my pards and less guns to clean.   
"Peace is that glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading"  -Thomas Jefferson

Offline Tascosa Joe

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 2770
  • NCOWS #: L-168
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 11
« Reply #86 on: December 26, 2022, 03:54:59 PM »
Your old one is the one I was talking about.  The trunk was tall enough to carry your weapons concealed inside.  I like this one as well.
NRA Life, TSRA Life, NCOWS  Life

Offline Iron City Sage

• NCOWS Member
  • Active citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 16
« Reply #87 on: December 26, 2022, 07:36:37 PM »
That is a beautiful gun cart, I dig it. But…..it’s certainly not period correct. Railway Express Agency wasn’t a thing in the 1800’s, wasn’t formed until almost 1920!  Most wouldn’t know that though. I think it’s genius. Was wanting to build a REA cart for SASS, where a little 20 year off anachronism isn’t a huge deal, but your idea is even better than what I had in mind. We’ll done.

Offline Froogal

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3882
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 584
« Reply #88 on: December 27, 2022, 08:58:45 AM »
Well gee, I already have some of those plow handles. I would want some wheels that are a wee bit wider though.

Offline Johnson Barr

• Berger Sharpshooters, KVC, Blue River Regulators #129, Johnson County Rangers, GAF
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NRA Life, TSRA Life, NCOWS Life, NCOWS Merchant
    • J Barr Texas
  • NCOWS #: L-173
  • GAF #: 830
  • Liked:
« Reply #89 on: December 30, 2022, 01:21:57 PM »
The cart was built in my previous shooting days in SASS. Pretty much anything having to do with Rail Roading suited me just fine. These days shooting with NCOWS groups I'm a bit careful what I take to Matches. A smaller version of the 'dome-top' trunk carries all I need
for a day at the range for 2-gun categories.
"Peace is that glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading"  -Thomas Jefferson

Offline Pitspitr

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • 308 214-0082 45551 Rd 816, Sargent NE 68874 USA
    • Grand Army of the Frontier
  • SASS #: 74523
  • NCOWS #: L187
  • GAF #: 147
  • Liked:
« Reply #90 on: March 13, 2023, 02:55:12 PM »
Mine is fairly similar to JB's

I remain, Your Ob'd Servant,
Jerry M. "Pitspitr" Davenport
(Bvt.)Brigadier General Commanding,
Grand Army of the Frontier
BC/IT, Expert, Sharpshooter, Marksman, CC, SoM
NRA CRSO, RVWA IIT2; SASS ROI, ROII;
NRA Benefactor Life; AZSA Life; NCOWS Life

Offline Robert Swartz

• Top Active Citizen
  • GAF #: 892
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #91 on: July 11, 2023, 05:37:25 PM »
....not sure there's anything historically correct about a guncart...my running buddy threw this together from scraps....it is nice to have cleaning supplys, tools and seats, if needed.....my old back sure doesn't object...we have made a couple modifications and I painted it with some OD paint I had left over from military projects.....
"Copperhead Bob"
GAF# 892
Sgt Maj (ret) 2nd KY Vols 1812 era
Lt (ret) Rogers Rangers F&I
Booshway 2021Thundercreek Rendevous

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com