Author Topic: COAL for 147gr .38 spl in rifle  (Read 2663 times)

Offline dcdornac

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
COAL for 147gr .38 spl in rifle
« on: May 23, 2012, 09:54:31 PM »
 I am trying mostly by trial to attain a working COAL for my Marlin 1894CB. It is a longer profile bullet made by Moulton Lead of VT just for Marlins and is 147 gr without a cannelure. I suspect 1.510 to be about right. Shooting under 4.4gr of Unique. Any help or experience out there? Thanks!

Offline PJ Hardtack

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: COAL for 147gr .38 spl in rifle
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2012, 09:48:51 AM »
dc

Make up a few dummy rds without primers or powder. They will either feed or they won't. It ain't rocket science.
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do these things to others and I require the same from them."  John Wayne

Offline Johnny McCrae

• Bristol Plains Pistoleros, Sweetwater Regulators
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • The older the violin, the finer the music
    • Johnny McCrae
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 265
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2012, 09:57:53 AM »
Make up a few dummy rds without primers or powder. They will either feed or they won't. It ain't rocket science.
This is good advice.

I've been using this specific round since November of 2007 for my 1866 Uberti. Using mostly Winchester .38 Special Brass I use a COAL of 1.555". So far I've loaded over 8000 rounds like this with no problems.
You need to learn to like all the little everday things like a sip of good whiskey, a soft bed, a glass of buttermilk,  and a feisty old gentleman like myself

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 06:37:30 AM »

Offline buckshot dan

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2012, 12:29:39 AM »
my rossi 92 does't like any round less than 1.526 so i've been loading the 147 moultons at 1.55 oal

Offline Fairshake

• Shooter of the HOLY BLACK
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2012, 10:54:21 AM »
The first thing is that you can't go on what works in a 66 or 92 for loading ammo for a Marlin. Each rifle is different and have their own preference.
For the owner of the 66; all toggle bolt guns have a built in bullet gauge. You turn the rifle upside down to where you are looking at the brass bottom of the cartridge carrier. Lever the rifle down to where the carrier moves into the receiver by about 1/2 inch. Drop in the cartridge and if it fits with a little room at the front of the carrier then it will run in that rifle.
The 92 is well known for being very particular about it's OAL. Just ask Steve Young aka Nate Kiowa Jones who is known as the 92 GURU.
The best way to load for any gun is to have that gun with you at the loading bench and load a few rounds with out primer or powder and try them in the gun.
A old standard that I still use when loading my 45 ACP( I DON'T SHOOT WILD BUNCH!!!) is to remove the barrel from the gun and try the rounds at the bench. Saves a lot of cussing at the firing line. Take Care Fairshake.
Deadwood Marshal  Border Vigilante SASS 81802                                                                         WARTHOG                                                                   NRA                                                                            BOLD So that His place shall never be with those cold and Timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com