Special Interests - Groups & Societies > BROW

Question about brass.

(1/4) > >>

Bristow Kid:
Is the any thing special that has to be done to reload BP into brass that originally was loaded with smokeless powder?  Like cleaning annealing or anything like that.

Bristow Kid

Tensleep:
First time I loaded BP (APP) I just loaded as if I was loading smokeless.

After shooting, soak in a 50/50 mix of vinegar/water with 2 drops of Dawn. Rinse in cold water, let dry in the sun or in the oven (225/1 hr) then tumble and load again.
This has worked well for me.

Grapeshot:
You might try opening up the primer flash hole with a 3/32nd's drill bit or a #41 drill bit and compress your powder charge.  Even though BP will ignite easily when loose, you will be advised to use a Large Magnum Rifle Primer, either Winchester or Federal.  This will give a longer lasting flame that will penetrate the compacted powder and improve ignition and decrease fouling and smoke as you get a more consistant burn.

For further information see www.the45-7-book.com

Advertising:

Cyrille:

--- Quote from: Bristow Kid on May 08, 2006, 06:42:58 AM ---Is the any thing special that has to be done to reload BP into brass that originally was loaded with smokeless powder?  Like cleaning annealing or anything like that.

Bristow Kid

--- End quote ---
What about clean unfired brass?

Tensleep:

--- Quote from: Cyrille on May 08, 2006, 07:46:50 AM --- What about clean unfired brass?

--- End quote ---

I found that my new Starline brass was much easier to load the first time if I tumbled it to remove any oil after I "toasted" it at three hundred fifty degrees for about an hour and a half.

First time through, Starline seems to be hard on my sizer die if I don't bake it.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version