Special Interests - Groups & Societies > BROW

Finally Got a Major Bucket List Item

(1/3) > >>

Blackpowder Burn:
I received a new member into the family yesterday.  After sitting in the UPS depot in Houston for the last week due to the local weather, I got my new C Sharps 1874.  I bought it for long range competitions, and I figgered since this was a one time "bucket list" purchase I might as well dress it up a bit. It's a Bridgeport with 32" half round barrel, long range soule sights, upgraded wood, cheek piece, pistol grip, Hartford collar, hand checkering, etc.  Chambered in the venerable old 45-70.    I've been drooling over one for years, but the time (i.e. money) was never right.  I finally decided if I waited for the right time based on money it would never come, so I finally pulled the trigger and ordered it last March just after I retired.

She is a beauty.  I've been loading some ammo today and will get it to the range tomorrow.  I'll go through the recommended barrel break-in procedure, then start working on some appropriate black powder ammo.  I bought a bore riding mold from Steve Brooks to try, and it does make a huge difference in powder capacity.  my minimum load with no compression is about 68 grains of Olde Eynsford FFg.  With mild compression it is well over 70 grains.  I'm looking forward to spending some range time getting acquainted with her.

Dave T:
Good for you! I hope it shoots as good as it looks.

Dave

Abilene:

--- Quote from: Blackpowder Burn on February 20, 2021, 01:00:29 PM ---...She is a beauty....

--- End quote ---

No kidding!  Enjoy it!

Advertising:

ndnchf:
Wow - thats a beauty. Congrats!

Blackpowder Burn:
I took her out today and did the barrel break-in procedure.  I sure hated putting that heathen fad smokeless powder down her bore, but it was for a good cause in the long term.  I also put together some initial black powder ammo to evaluate for a starting point for load development. With the limited ammo I had on hand, I got on steel at 100 and 200 yards, so I'm happy with that for now.  I'll put together a more varied assortment to evaluate and use my buddies ballistic radar next.  The other goal here was also to get some fire formed brass to work with for serious load development.

Good times - gives me something pleasant to focus on.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version