Special Interests - Groups & Societies > BROW

#1 Remington Sporting rifle - .44-77

<< < (3/18) > >>

The Pathfinder:
ndnchf, I had one similar to that back in the 90's, but mine was marked 44W on the bottom of the barrel. Sadly it had been rechambered/rebored for 45-70, but still wore the original barrel. My barrel was only 26" long if I remember right.

ndnchf:

--- Quote from: The Pathfinder on September 18, 2020, 08:30:37 AM ---ndnchf, I had one similar to that back in the 90's, but mine was marked 44W on the bottom of the barrel. Sadly it had been rechambered/rebored for 45-70, but still wore the original barrel. My barrel was only 26" long if I remember right.

--- End quote ---

Nice!  According to Roy Marcot's book. 44W was .44-40 Winchester. 

The Pathfinder:
Yeah, that's what we figured at the time. If it had not been messed with I would never have let it go. Replaced it with a pair of 1870 NY State 50-70s, used my '74 Sharps for long range anyways and my Conn Peabody for military matches, so it's not like I don't have enough 45-70s.

Advertising:

ndnchf:
My .44-77 sporting rifle arrived today. I'm very pleased with it. The bore is bright and shiney with only minor pitting. I doubt it has been apart for a good cleaning in 100 years. The action was full of crud. So I took it completely down for a gentle, but thorough cleaning, lubrication and inspection. Everything looks good, no big issues.

I slugged the bore. The grooves are .4495" at the muzzle, .4505" at the breech. Tomorrow I'll try to measure the lands.

I got 40 pieces of new 43 Spanish thick rim brass and sized one in a 43 Spanish sizer. Then expanded the neck to .446". It chambered nicely. I have 43 Mauser dies coming which should work fine.

I'd like to shoot paper patch bullets. I think they will shoot well in this bore.  ;D

ndnchf:
I got the .44-77 all cleaned, oiled and back together. It was factory drilled and tapped for a tang sight. I happened to have a new Marbles sight on the shelf with Remington hole spacing, so I mounted it. Its not the same quality as vintage originals, but it will help my aging eyes.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version