Author Topic: loading with 777???  (Read 4872 times)

Offline Curly Duke

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
loading with 777???
« on: January 28, 2007, 03:23:53 AM »
Howdy pards,

am still a little green at this buffalo rifle loading stuff and was wanting to know if any of you load with 777? do you use a drop tube with it and compress it any or not?????....Have already learned alot from this forum....you all are a bunch of smart amigos and would appreciate any insites any of you have....hope to get the chance to add more to my profile soon....haven't yet went fully dark in my other smokepoles but who knows if'n I like shooting it out of my 45-70 I may go all the way... :)

Offline Steel Horse Bailey

• Jeff "Steel Horse Bailey" - BP Warthog & C&B Shooter
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • A Master of the Sublime & Holy Order or the Soot
  • SASS #: 27463
  • NCOWS #: 1919
  • Liked:
Re: loading with 777???
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2007, 11:37:38 AM »
Howdy!

Caint hep ya with that there 777777 stuff, but what ever ya use, have fun!
"May Your Powder always be Dry and Black; Your Smoke always White; and Your Flames Always Light the Way to Eternal Shooting Fulfillment !"

Offline Ed Clintwood

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2007, 09:48:21 PM »
Curley Duke,
I've loaded 777 in my .40-70 Sharps straight and did not use a drop tube.  I still have to work up a load for that rifle though and as it's a little cold out and the range ... when it gets warmer, I be back out trying to figgure out how to make 777 work.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 06:43:49 PM »

Offline Curly Duke

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2007, 01:31:36 AM »
yea Ed has been a bit cold here too....have a shoot coming up the first part of march and want to get a load worked up for the side match there....I have used Trailboss and had good results with it but felt like I was shootn' a .22...very low recoil....which is not always a bad thing.... :D   think I will try some 777 and get some Goex and see what I can work up. Am trying some of cabela's cast bullets till I can convince my shooting partner....(wife).... that it will be cheaper to cast my own!!!

Offline Grapeshot

• Grapeshot. Cpt US Artillery
  • Top Active Citizen
  • WARTHOG
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2007, 06:10:05 PM »
I've been using 777 in my 1876 Winchester repro by Chapparel.  The Caliber is .45/60.  Started out using a drop tube and seating bullet so it just slighty compresses the charge.

After playing around with different loading procedures I settled on just dropping the 777 through a funnel and putting the bullet in so it compressed the charge as the bullet is seated.
Listen!  Do you hear that?  The roar of Cannons and the screams of the dying.  Ahh!  Music to my ears.

Harve Curry

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2007, 07:30:45 PM »
Any reports on accuracy & or velocity?

Offline Grapeshot

• Grapeshot. Cpt US Artillery
  • Top Active Citizen
  • WARTHOG
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2007, 08:15:03 AM »
Any reports on accuracy & or velocity?

I can keep all my rounds on an eight inch bull at 100 yards.  This is the furthest I can shoot as we do not have a longer range.

Bullet weights were 300gr cast lead RNFP, 405 grain RNFP, and some 350 grain Hornady JSP.
Listen!  Do you hear that?  The roar of Cannons and the screams of the dying.  Ahh!  Music to my ears.

Offline Fingers McGee

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Smoke & Fire
  • SASS #: R28654
  • NCOWS #: 3638
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 6
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2007, 11:17:19 AM »
Curly,  58 gr by volumn of 777 with a 416 gr BP lubed bonus bullet.  This load just does seat the bullet onthe top of the powder.  No wad, no over powder card.  Out of my Sharpes, it has same POI at 25 and 100 yds, with about a 2-3 inch group.  I've got plenty of the bullets if you want to try some.

Fingers
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee;
SASS Regulator 28654 - L - TG; NCOWS 3638
AKA Man of many Colts; Diabolical Ken's alter ego; stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman/Pistoleer; Rangemaster
Founding Member - Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Member - Southern Missouri Rangers;
NRA Patron Life: GOA; CCRKBA; SAF; SV-114 (CWO4 ret); STORM 327

"Cynic:  A blackguard whose faulty vision sees thing as they are, not as they should be"  Ambrose Bierce

Offline Curly Duke

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2007, 01:11:39 AM »
Fingers, I'll let ya know about the bullets. I have loaded up some 777 loads with the cabela's 525 gr. BP bullets with a .060 over powder wad. Also Loaded up some with Goex FFg with same bullet and over powder wad, compressed about the thickness of the wad.....I would tell you the powder grains but that is a secret....ha..ha...well to tell the truth I never really checked it, was just putting enough powder in till I could seat a bullet to the correct depth for my chamber. If those work out I may try to be a little more scientific. ;D , although I did trim all to size and debur flash hole.

Are you going to be going to The Moniteau Creek shoot March 9-11? We are planning on it if we survive Lil' Daisy's wedding the weekend before that ??? ??? ??? :D. If ya do go to the shoot maybe we can compare notes.....going to try to get out this weekend and try my loads....later pard.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com