Author Topic: ???WHY NCOWS????  (Read 7171 times)

Offline Mule Clanton

• Doc
  • Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
???WHY NCOWS????
« on: November 05, 2004, 04:00:45 PM »
 ??? I is not my purpose to start any fights or create bad feelings---but as a Greenhorn---I just would like to hear something from the more knowledgeable as to the what, when, where, & why of NCOWS. Is it designed to be an alternative to SASS because of some displeasure with the system? Is it competitive to SASS as another CAS organization?  I have gone through the site and read a wealth of material and what I gleaned from this was that apparently SASS is a little too free with their interpretations of proper firearms. As a newcomer I think that when I show up at shoot to enjoy myself I am bombarded with information such as:  new springs, free-spin pawls, actiopn jobs, one piece firing pins etc. etc.  I frankly didn't go for IDPA or IPSC because of the need to build a $5000 race-gun and burn up tons of munitions---I went for CAS to enjoy the shoot and to hell with the score. I certainly get enough competition with bullseye 2700's and International Free & Air Pistol matches.
"Fair Dinkum & Good On You"
Postulant at the Shrine of the Holy Black
NRA LIFE~SASS~SCORRS~DARKSIDER
PGK~PFN

Offline Silver Creek Slim

• Buckaroo
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 2329
  • GAF #: 144
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 107
Re: ???WHY NCOWS????
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2004, 04:08:05 PM »
I am a newcomer to NCOWS. I will let the NCOWS "veterans" like Will Ketchum answer this for you, 'cuz I don't want to misrepresent the group.

Slim
NCOWS 2329, WartHog, SCORRS, SBSS, BHR, GAF, RBCS, Dirty RATS, BTBM, IPSAC, Cosie-in-training
I love the smell of Black Powder in the morning!

Offline Will Ketchum

• Chief of Detectives
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Pete Ersland
  • SASS #: 4222
  • NCOWS #: 133
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2004, 04:36:59 PM »
Mule, these days most NCOWS members are also SASS members but it didn't use to be that way.  Some years back there was a definite anti- SASS attitude by many members.

The main difference is that NCOWS puts more emphasis on authenticity in dress and gear but we don't have a bunch of authenticity police going around checking people out.

It has been said that SASS is a shooting organization where there is some socializing where NCOWS is more of a social group where there is some shooting.  It is easier to understand the difference between the two organizations when you consider their roots.  SASS got it's start from some IPSC shooters who wanted to shoot IPSC with cowboy guns.  NCOWS came from Buckskinning and reenacting where the main idea is authentic dress and gear. 

I would point you to frontierspot.org. where I am also the NCOWS moderator.  If you check out the archives you will find the answers to most of your questions.  Also feel free to e-mail me with any questions you might have.

Will Ketchum
Will Ketchum's Rules of W&CAS: 1 Be Safe. 2 Have Fun. 3  Look Good Doin It!
F&AM, NRA Endowment Life, SASS Life 4222, NCOWS Life 133.  USMC for ever.
Madison, WI

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 08:36:21 PM »

Big Hext Finnigan

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2004, 05:10:22 PM »
I'll throw another thought on here.  Both organizations have great local groups, which are the backbone, the source fo the good times and good will.

SASS is, to a degree, about the money.  It is run by professionals for profit.
NCOWS is all volunteer with all the good and bad that comes with it.

Not making a value statement about either group, but you'll see different actions by the governing bodies.
Adios,

Offline Mule Clanton

• Doc
  • Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2004, 09:20:17 AM »
 ;) Well thank you gents---I kinda thought that's what it was all about. I can see the assertion re: IPSC in the fact as I stated I was bombarded with "helpful" information as to how to change things with my brand new guns---I am totally happy with the out of the box Ruger Vaqueros,  and Marlin 1894 and Norinco hammered SXS---I enjoy shooting them and competing.  But, I am damned if I am going to "juice" up the rig to be more "competitive." I can see what you mean about "money", anytime you have a large office and paid employees you have a money organization. SASS is no expception neither the NRA, IPSC, IDPA, TU, DU, NSSF etc. As far as "historical correctness" goes, you always have the "hoople factor" in any organization that wears a "uniform"---this goes to cover all forms of reenactors ( with no offense intended) as I am sure you can picture someone in your own mind who you know that fits this description.  This is human nature---I prefer to " dress down"---to me it's the closest to the story line.  SASS is the only game in town right here on Long Island and I have no problems with that, as my "Elder Statesman" category permits me the privilege of choosing my way of life, due to age and "wisdom"---call it the "Geezer Factor." ;)
"Fair Dinkum & Good On You"
Postulant at the Shrine of the Holy Black
NRA LIFE~SASS~SCORRS~DARKSIDER
PGK~PFN

Offline Wymore Wrangler

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2004, 07:03:47 PM »
Mule, if you want to learn more about NCOWS, look up Donn Gato, he just moved back from Northern Nebraska to Long Island, and I'm sure he is shooting back there.... :)
Fast horses for sale, Discount for newly minted gold coins, no questions asked....

Offline Silver Creek Slim

• Buckaroo
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 2329
  • GAF #: 144
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 107
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2004, 08:46:55 AM »
I knew you pards could explain it better than this NCOWS newbie.  ;)

Slim
NCOWS 2329, WartHog, SCORRS, SBSS, BHR, GAF, RBCS, Dirty RATS, BTBM, IPSAC, Cosie-in-training
I love the smell of Black Powder in the morning!

Offline Lucky Deuce

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2004, 11:13:27 PM »
  To me the main difference between the two are as follows:
SASS is a shooting organization with (a very)  minor emphasis on authenticity.
NCOWS is a Re-enactment group with emphasis on authenticity and minor emphasis on shooting.
  (Note: this is not to say shooting is not important in NCOWS, but its not the main reason to be a member.)

For me... I had been in Buckskinning for years and then decided that I wanted to get into the Cowboy period.  I thought SASS would be like Buckskinning only re-creating a later time period (mid to late 1800's).  I was wrong.  Yes there are some in SASS who try to be authentic but many only dress just enough so they can shoot. And the main emphasis is on being competitive.   I did join SASS and am still a member, but I became a Life member of NCOWS even though the opportunity to shoot in NCOWS is slim to none. My personna is an ex-Confederate Guerilla/gambler and general no good outlaw.  I shoot .44 Remington '58's, a Henry .44-40, and a 12 Ga Mule Ear (I am kicking around getting a double barrel 12 Ga Muzzle loading shotgun).  I have purchased everything from Civil War Suttlers, I have a haversack, cap pouch, Pistol Cartridge Box, Cavalry Carbine Box, and Rifle Cartridge Box so i can switch around as needed to carry all my equipment.  Civil War Era Wallet, eyeglasses, combs, penciil, spurs, Cavalry Boots, you name it. 

You can belong to both and act as an example of NCOWS authenticity at SASS matches.

Offline Irish Dave

• Retired Marshal
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2004, 09:39:50 AM »
Mule:

You've gotten some good advice here. Can't say that I could add much to it. Will, Hext and Lucky have pretty much nailed it as I see it.

I would second Will's suggestion that you go to The Frontier Spot (tho' it seems to be down at the moment) and go to the NCOWS forum. If you read back through the threads and archives you'll get a more complete picture. Be prepared, though, as we pretty much speak our minds (in a civil and gentlemanly manner, mind you). But nobody's hiding anything and we don't mind if an occasional wart shows. This isn't a perfect organization but it's a damn good one. And being member-driven and operated, it tends to generate a high level of free speech. That's a good thing. Hope you give the organization some more consideration.
Dave Scott aka Irish Dave
NCOWS Marshal Retired
NCOWS Senator and Member 132-L
Great Lakes Freight & Mining Co.
SASS 5857-L
NRA Life

irishdave5857@aol.com

Offline Ottawa Creek Bill

• Vietnam Vet 1966,67 First place, Southeast Asia Rifle Team, "66/67"
  • Top Active Citizen
  • OCB, A Newer, More Gentler NCOWS Member...........
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2004, 04:59:53 PM »
Mule,
I've been to many SASS shoots and only three NCOWS shoots. The difference to me is, the comraderie at the NCOWS matches have a more at home feel to it. You will meet more people that are interested in the history of the old west and the desire to recreate it as much as it is possible. You'll find more of a variety of firearms that were used during that time period such as double action firearms, more black powder shooters, and a proportiional share of firearms in relation to the Colt type revolvers. NCOWS trys to recreate the atmosphere of the old west, that's what drew me to it!

Bill
Vice Chairman American Indian Council of Indianapolis
Vice Chairman Inter tribal Council of Indiana
Member, Ottawa-Chippewa Band of Indians of Michigan
SASS # 2434
NCOWS # 2140
CMSA # 3119
NRA LIFER

Offline Steel Horse Bailey

• Jeff "Steel Horse Bailey" - BP Warthog & C&B Shooter
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • A Master of the Sublime & Holy Order or the Soot
  • SASS #: 27463
  • NCOWS #: 1919
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2004, 01:21:55 AM »
Greetings, Mule

I'm new to this forum, but I've had the pleasure of being in NCOWS for 3 years, now.  I'm a Life member of SASS and a yearly member of NCOWS, as well as a member of the Great Lakes Freight & Mining Co. (GLFMC) in Indiana.  Many of the pards I shoot with, like Irish Dave, Cumberbund ... er, Cumberland Dutch,  and Ottowa Creek Bill, I knew before I joined NCOWS.

My only wish is that I would have heard about NCOWS first!  That's not to say that I don't like SASS;  I like it a lot.  Anytime I get to dress like a cowboy or an ex-cavalry trooper (which I AM) and get to SHOOT on top of that, well - I like it!  All the pards I've met, from both camps, are really nice folks (some nicer than others ::)) and are out to have fun.  And that's the point of it all.  As the others have stated, SASS is more into competitive shooting and some history as well as  B movie outfits (but not ONLY competition) and NCOWS combines socializing, shooting, and history.

If yer ever in Indy or Indiana, come and shoot with us:  the more, the merrier!
"May Your Powder always be Dry and Black; Your Smoke always White; and Your Flames Always Light the Way to Eternal Shooting Fulfillment !"

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com