Author Topic: 1866 question on safety  (Read 763 times)

Offline Iron City Sage

• NCOWS Member
  • Active citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 16
1866 question on safety
« on: July 06, 2023, 03:26:48 PM »
Howdy! I’m new to the sport, for the most part. Not new to shooting, by any stretch, just more familiar with Uncle Sam’s scary black guns the M-16/M-4 and M-9, and my modern automatics than I am with the somewhat older options most of you use today.

I have a decent set of irons, a pair of Evil Roy pistols, a Remington S/S hammer gun, and a 1896 Carbine (useless for SASS as it only holds 8 rounds, but usable at NCOWS matches where you only load 5 anyway) and a gorgeous 1873. Problem is, now my wife wants to shoot too, and decided the ‘73 is now hers. Alright……

No problem, I love brass anyway. My saddle hardware is all brass, and most of my other real cowboy stuff has brass accents or hardware. So……pretty sure I need an 1866.

Question is, after seeing the video posted here about the Henry blowing up on the guy, how safe are the ‘66’s? Specifically, are the new recreations by Taylor/Cimarron etc equipped with a trigger safety to keep from inadvertently firing a round out of battery like the 73? I can see that being a problem, in a fast firing match, and other than that, I am ready to get me a new pretty brass yellow boy. But…..if I’m at risk of firing out of battery, maybe I should just get another ‘73 for myself.  Thanks!

Iron City Sage

Offline Tuolumne Lawman

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Grass Valley, CA in the Sierra Nevada Mountains
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 46
Re: 1866 question on safety
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2023, 03:37:23 PM »
Completely safe.  If you triple load Unique, etc, any rifler will blow up..
TUOLUMNE LAWMAN
CO. F, 12th Illinois Cavalry  SASS # 6127 Life * Spencer Shooting Society #43 * Motherlode Shootist Society #1 * River City Regulators

Offline Iron City Sage

• NCOWS Member
  • Active citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 16
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2023, 03:42:19 PM »
 Thanks. Won’t be any triple loads, I shoot manufactured rounds, barely have time for the shooting, certainly don’t for the reloading. Have been having a good time with rounds from Bullets by Scarlet, they have functioned well for me. More concerned about the out of battery firing that was possible with original 1866 rifles. If that’s not a concern? I’ll be picking one s week! Thanks!

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 09:29:27 AM »

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1180
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2023, 03:52:38 PM »
Yes, an out-of-battery incident is more likely with the '66 or '60 than the '73 especially when shooting really fast.  But even the lever safety thingie does not totally prevent the problem.

Offline Coal Creek Griff

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 634
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2023, 10:13:23 PM »
I have to agree with both Abilene and Tuolumne Lawman -- the '66 doesn't have the lever safety/trigger block, but I consider them totally safe in normal use.  I'd definitely recommend one.

The issues with the Henrys "blowing up" is an issue specific to the Henry rifle.  It has to do with the loading technique, dropping rounds down the magazine, then dropping the follower onto them with full spring pressure.  That would not be an issue with the '66 or later guns that load from the side through a loading gate.  Even the Henry is safe when basic safety is exercised with them.

Griff
Manager, WT Ranch--Coal Creek Division

BOLD #921
BOSS #196
1860 Henry Rifle Shooter #173
SSS #573

Offline Reverend P. Babcock Chase

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2023, 11:35:05 PM »
Howdy I C Sage,

I have been shooting a 66 for nearly 20 years. I'm not blindingly fast but I've never has a problem. In fact, I've never seen a 66 have an out of battery discharge. Just this last month a 73 shooter had one in his super slicked up gun. He is blindingly fast.

If you like the look of a 66 go for it.

Rev. Chase

Offline wildman1

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 169
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2023, 07:23:55 AM »
Ask Robertilotto if he has ever had an OOB with a 66.
wM1
WARTHOG, Dirty Rat #600, BOLD #1056, CGCS,GCSAA, NMLRA, NRA, AF&AM, CBBRC.  If all that cowboy has ever seen is a stockdam, he ain't gonna believe ya when ya tell him about whales.

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2023, 08:35:41 AM »

:) I C Sage  ;)

Some of my compatriots claim me as the Grand Phoubah of Brass Rifles.  I have been shooting Brass Rifles for around 30 years in CAS.  The 1866 is no less safe than any other Rifle set up for CAS.  The problems start when a shooter tries to run his or her Rifle faster than they are physically capable.  That shooter gets "out of time" with the rifle and performs a Major Boo Boo.  With the "New Build" 1866 rifle the major damage will be to one's Ego and maybe a part or two.  Fixable.

To be perfectly honest and fair, this same condition can and will happen with the 1873 that has a Trigger Block safety.  The 1866 can be set up to run just as fast as the 1873 but with much much more style.  Mucho Funner.

I cannot think of a single reason not source yourself a nice shiny 1866.  Rifle, Carbine, Short Rifle or Trapper, just grab your preference and GO FOR IT!!

Offline Niederlander

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 6
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2023, 06:00:51 PM »
I've been shooting '66's and Henrys for at least thirty years and have never had a problem.  No, I'm not blindingly fast.  In fact, I wouldn't risk your eyesight in any way.
"There go those Nebraskans, and all hell couldn't stop them!"

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1180
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2023, 12:56:45 PM »
I only have about 7K rounds through my '66, but no problems.  It is not short stroked and I am a middle, or upper-middle at my best, of the pack shooter.  I don't think OOB problems were common at all until the targets started getting so close that the fast guys sound like machine guns with their rifles.  Jacked out rounds have also increased considerably for the same reason.  In my first 20 years of CAS I probably jacked out less than 5 rounds in matches.  But then I shortstroked a .357 '73 and am trying to speed up, so now I jack one out about once a month.  Most of the OOB's are happening with '73's so even the lever safety isn't stopping those.  For the most part, the OOB bends the lever and/or lifter arm, both of which can be straightened.  Since the firing pin extension attachment was beefed up by Uberti some dozen or more years ago, I would have no problem trying to run a '66 fast.

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2023, 09:33:41 AM »

:) OH BOTHER  ;)

I have to be completely up-front and honest.  I sold my 1866s (two) as I wasn't shooting them that often.  The cause of that was my Henry Rifles, of which I have three (use to have four) and they are my absolute GO-TO Rifles for CAS.  Full action work to include Lever Side Springs and Short Stroke.  They are FAST.  And, thank you very much, they ARE Brass.

In all fairness, I have also built myself TWO 1873 Trappers.  16 inch barrels both.  The '73 are wicked cute, being trappers, but their lives are cloaked in Darkness.  Back of the Safe darkness.  You see (in the dark??) my Henrys are at the Front of the safe and see much much more daylight (snicker snicker snorkel)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com