Author Topic: Colt 2nd Generations  (Read 960 times)

Offline Niederlander

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 6
Colt 2nd Generations
« on: December 10, 2021, 02:18:25 PM »
Gentlemen,  I may be opening a can of worms here, but what is the advantage of Colt 2nd Generations over repops like Uberti or Pietta?  I know (I think) that they were Uberti parts finished here, but did they have the same short arbor problems?  They're pretty, and the markings are correct, but is that it for advantages?  (Besides re-sale value, that is.)
"There go those Nebraskans, and all hell couldn't stop them!"

Offline Dave Fox

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
Re: Colt 2nd Generations
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2021, 03:00:05 PM »
Colt name.

Offline Cap'n Redneck

• Commd'g Co. D, Frontier Batt'n, Texas Rangers.
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Cap'n Redneck SWS #163.
  • GAF #: 273
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2021, 04:16:58 PM »
2nd. Gen. Colt's are about the only way us hard-working proletarians can own and shoot "real Colt's" without pawning our homes... -and they look real good without the "Made in Italy" & "Blackpowder Only" stamps.
"As long as there's lead in the air, there's still hope..."
Frontiersman & Frontiersman Gunfighter: The only two categories where you can play with your balls and shoot your wad while tweaking the nipples on a pair of 44s.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 05:11:41 AM »

Offline LongWalker

• Top Active Citizen
  • GAF #: 911
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 12
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2021, 07:14:25 PM »
I've owned. . . 4 I think. . . of the 2nd gen Colts.  They had the usual problems with the arbor, and the usual need for cleanup.  They weren't "bad", but purely as a shooter I don't think they are worth it.  They did make good trading stock when I got done playing with them!
In my book a pioneer is a man who turned all the grass upside down, strung bob-wire over the dust that was left, poisoned the water, cut down the trees, killed the Indian who owned the land and called it progress.  Charles M. Russell

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2021, 09:55:58 AM »

:)  Niedlander  ;)

PLUS ONE for LongWalker.  I always manage to start fights over this question myself.  The specific answers to your questions:  Yes.  The 2d Generation Colt percussion guns were made from Uberti parts.  Shipped from Italy to Louis Imperato  "in the white" then put together here at his Iver Johnson plant.  Then shipped to Colt for inspection and packaging.  Gussied up Uberti with accurate markings from the past.  Yes.  The guns had/have all the same failings as ALL the other Uberti Open Top pattern guns.  Short Arbor being the main failing.  They do require some serious cleaning up and prep to be ready for CAS play.

In some circles, the 2d Gens bring stupid money for unfired, un-fix'd, in the box lookie lookie guns.  Shooters go for 4 to 6 hundred depending on how much work they still need.

Were I providing suggestions (oh hey . . I am) my suggestion would be to skip Uberti and the 2d Gen. Colts and start with a new build Pietta.  Very well made and requiring much less work to make CAS ready and shooter friendly.

Play Safe Out There

Offline LongWalker

• Top Active Citizen
  • GAF #: 911
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 12
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2021, 06:38:11 PM »
Given my druthers, my match guns would be a mix of Belgian Centennials and original 1860s.  Parts availability is the hangup, so I just posted a WTB for an Uberti.  At the same time I'm haunting GB for Centaures and will be watching for originals at the shows.  A 2nd gen Colt was never in consideration.

Maybe I'll go edit that WTB.....
In my book a pioneer is a man who turned all the grass upside down, strung bob-wire over the dust that was left, poisoned the water, cut down the trees, killed the Indian who owned the land and called it progress.  Charles M. Russell

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com