Author Topic: Parts differences between an original Remington 1890 and a Uberti replica?  (Read 1557 times)

Offline Virginia Gentleman

• Top Active Citizen
  • Here's a McRib for Allah
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 24
If you had a frame and a barrel of an original Remington 1890, what parts would absolutely be original Remington and what parts world work from a Uberti replica?

Offline hellgate

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Parts differences between an original Remington 1890 and a Uberti replica?
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2021, 11:05:30 AM »
The Uberti screws are all going to be metric whereas I'd expect the originals are standard thread. That would be a problem. If you can get a screw set then most of the internal parts ought to be fittable (trigger, springs, hand, bolt etc.) As to the hammer, cylinder, cylinder pin, & ejector I don't know.
"Frontiersman: the only category where you can shoot your wad and play with your balls while tweeking the nipples on a pair of 44s." Canada Bill

Since I have 14+ guns, I've been called the Imelda Marcos of Cap&Ball. Now, that's a COMPLIMENT!

SASS#3302L
REGULATOR
RUCAS#58
Wolverton Mt. Peacekeepers
SCORRS
DGB#29
NRA Life
CASer since 1992

Offline Virginia Gentleman

• Top Active Citizen
  • Here's a McRib for Allah
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 24
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2021, 09:01:13 AM »
So either change the threads on the screws or change the threads on the gun itself?

Advertising

Offline Kent Shootwell

• Top Active Citizen
  • Got whiskey, will stumble.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 22
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2021, 10:00:14 AM »
Always alter the minor parts, rethread the screws.
Little powder much lead shoots far kills dead.
Member, whiskey livers
AKA Phil Coffins, AKA Oliver Sudden

Offline Niederlander

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 6
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2021, 09:16:09 PM »
Dixie Gun Works supposedly has a couple of the screws for originals.  Another option would be to find a machinist to make them for you.  Might be worth asking places such as S & S Firearms if they have what you need.  Sometimes parts places have a few parts they don't have enough of, or enough demand for, to advertise.
"There go those Nebraskans, and all hell couldn't stop them!"

Offline LongWalker

• Top Active Citizen
  • GAF #: 911
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 12
Dixie Gun Works supposedly has a couple of the screws for originals.  Another option would be to find a machinist to make them for you.  Might be worth asking places such as S & S Firearms if they have what you need.  Sometimes parts places have a few parts they don't have enough of, or enough demand for, to advertise.
Or someone who knows enough to be able to find screws with the correct threads that can be re-purposed for your current project.  S&S was able to help me put together a Portugese cigar-box gun (all the action parts were loose in a cigar-box, and all the screws were missing) despite having no parts that were actually from or for the Portugese gun. 
In my book a pioneer is a man who turned all the grass upside down, strung bob-wire over the dust that was left, poisoned the water, cut down the trees, killed the Indian who owned the land and called it progress.  Charles M. Russell

Offline Undertaker18

• Citizen
  • SASS #: 45626
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
The cylinder pin on an original is quite different and a smaller diameter than the reproductions.  With that said even if the cylinder fit in the area, the pin would not fit through the frame.   

You could turn down the rod (pin) so it would fit the ejector housing, through the frame and into the recoil shield, but how would you reduce the diameter of the hole through the cylinder unless you added a bushing of some sort.

A lot of machining.  Do you have a photo of your frame, is it stripped or are some parts intact.

I have used reproduction main springs and bolt (cylinder stop) as replacements but the bolt needed a lot of fitting.  The hand assembly would also need extensive re-contouring to get the pistol to time correctly (longer and fatter than the original.  Also softer metal….

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com