Author Topic: Cleaning BP guns  (Read 2382 times)

Offline DeaconKC

• Retired Predator Hunter
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 110215
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4669
Re: Cleaning BP guns
« Reply #20 on: October 31, 2021, 07:07:21 PM »

Hawk, I have had to soak several older guns overnight in mineral spirits to loosen WD40 "varnish" off. You haven't seen it because you maintain your guns regularly.
SASS DeaconKC
The Deacon AZSA
BOLD 1088
RATS 739
STORM 448
Driver for Howard, Fine & Howard
Veterinary & Taxidermy Clinic
"Either way, you get your dog back"

Offline greyhawk

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 49
Re: Cleaning BP guns
« Reply #21 on: October 31, 2021, 11:40:41 PM »
Hawk, I have had to soak several older guns overnight in mineral spirits to loosen WD40 "varnish" off. You haven't seen it because you maintain your guns regularly.

I dont look after my stuff as well as I should but aside from the ones I've been shooting I make a point of going through the rack every 3 or 4 months - everything gets looked at, a quick wipe over, oil in the action, oily patch down bore, if that dont come out lookin right (I can tell the difference between oily crud and rust!!) it gets sorted right there ---this dont take long really ----usually at the end of it I scratch my head for a bit and mutter something like what the heck do ya want with all this junk, should sell em, but the ones I would sell are junk - barely worth the price of an advert - and whats worth money I'm not sellin!
There is nothing there, even the junk, that I cant take down, load, and shoot a respectable target with - I refuse to tolerate dangerous, unfunctional, or inaccurate firearms.

Hey another take on wd40 - it is about the best paint stripper you can get - I sprayed my chinese lathe down after a trip away - first wipe with a cloth just touched (luckily) the black painted lettering for the gear settings - I got most of it copied before it went away - been using WD40 to clean my hands anytime I get around paint ever since - loose a bit more of that lathe lettering everytime I bump it.     

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com