Author Topic: Quick and Easy Trigger Job On 1860 and 1866 Rifles  (Read 1276 times)

Offline GeezerD

• Very Active Citizen
  • "Back Off Varmints"
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Quick and Easy Trigger Job On 1860 and 1866 Rifles
« on: October 07, 2021, 07:35:16 AM »
Having recently purchased a 1866 Trapper, I was disappointed to find that the trigger pull was about 9 pounds.

I found that a Colt style Trigger/Bolt spring can be used to replace the factory trigger spring on the 1866. You need to remove the short leg on the Trigger/Bolt spring and remove enough from the long leg to make the overall length about 1 inch. Using the factory screw, install it the same as the factory trigger spring. Then you can back off the mainspring screw about a half turn. This results in a trigger pull of about 3 1/2 pounds with no other changes.

GeezerD

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
Re: Quick and Easy Trigger Job On 1860 and 1866 Rifles
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2021, 09:32:15 AM »

:)  Hey Geezer D !!!  ;D

How the heck are ya??  Haven't seen you around in a while.  Be well Compadre.

Atz a really interesting fix.  Surprised I never thought of it when I was building Toggle rifles for a living.  In my sordid past, I put the OEM spring in my machine vice and had at it with file to narrow it and reduce the spring effort.  Your fix sounds a bunch easier and much more consistent.  Cool Trix !!!

People are Hazardous to Yer Health
Avoid Them

Offline GeezerD

• Very Active Citizen
  • "Back Off Varmints"
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2021, 07:45:07 AM »
I found that you can also make up a new trigger spring using .015 tempered shim stock. It looks much better than the modified Colt trigger/bolt spring. ---------- GeezerD

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 12:08:48 PM »

Offline Kent Shootwell

• Top Active Citizen
  • Got whiskey, will stumble.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 22
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2021, 02:00:07 PM »
I once asked a boss why he always seemed to give me the hard job? He said because lazy people find the easiest way to do things. You must be even lazier then me! I tip my hat!  :D
Little powder much lead shoots far kills dead.
Member, whiskey livers
AKA Phil Coffins, AKA Oliver Sudden

Offline GeezerD

• Very Active Citizen
  • "Back Off Varmints"
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2021, 06:43:44 AM »
  I prefer to think of it as -----  " even an old blind squirrel finds a nut now and then." ---------------------  GeezerD

I had a boss once, and it seemed that he always got in the way of doing a good quality job.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com