Author Topic: New miroku 1873 owner question  (Read 3985 times)

Offline Severo Gallegos

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
New miroku 1873 owner question
« on: April 09, 2021, 03:56:28 AM »
I have just purchased the 1873 miroku 357 short rifle, took it to the range and put some rounds through it. When I was cleaning the rifle afterwards I noticed there are some small scratch markings on both sides of the inside of the receiver, close to the chamber. Do anyone know if this is something to be concerned about? Should I take it back to the store or is this normal for a factory new rifle?

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
Re: New miroku 1873 owner question
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2021, 09:49:09 AM »

Those "scratch marks" are left over from the machining process.  Based on the position of the tool marks, they will pose no problems to the operation of the rifle and I'd just ignore them.

Stay Safe Out There

Offline ira scott

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • AKA: Broken Nose Scotty
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 59
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2021, 10:50:08 AM »
Not trying to start an argument with the gunplumber, but, those do not look like machining marks to me, they look like the result of some hand finishing with a file or something?  Agree they will not cause any function problems. It's pretty on the outside isn't it?

B.N.Scotty
It is far better to remain silent, and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt!

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 04:42:44 AM »

Offline Severo Gallegos

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2021, 12:05:09 PM »
Thank you for helping out. I almost suspected it could be something like that, due to the fact that both marks are positioned in the same way on each side of the chamber. And yes its pretty on the outside, and furthermore seems to function flawlessly with both 357s and 38s so far.

Offline Buckaroo Lou

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 93
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2021, 01:22:30 PM »
Are you talking about slight vertical scratches where the brass lifter moves up and down and makes slight contact with the sides of the receiver? If so mine has the same thing and I believe are caused by the lifter making slight contact with the receiver. Not a problem.
A man's true measure is found not in what he says but in what he does.

Offline Severo Gallegos

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2021, 03:27:58 PM »
Yes thats precisely what Im talking about. Youre probably right those markings are caused by the lifter. On the other hand, why is it that the markings dont go all the way up and down? They only go about as far as the diameter of the chamber, why is that?

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1180
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2021, 07:56:57 PM »
I don't think a brass lifter will scratch a steel frame.

Offline Severo Gallegos

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2021, 11:34:08 PM »
Youre right it shouldnt. The positioning of the markings suggests they are from the machining process.

Offline Buckaroo Lou

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2021, 12:02:09 AM »
My receiver is CCH and the slight scratches are caused by the slight contact of the lifter moving up and down and slightly scratching the CCH on the inside of the receiver. They are not machining marks. It is really more akin to rub marks but they sort of look like scratches. They are not deep but just surface scratches or rub marks. Could be dust particles or a little grit gets between the lifter and the inside of the receiver, but they are definitely marks caused by the up and down movement of the lifter and not machining marks. They are only in an area the width of the lifter and no where else in the receiver and are not a problem.

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2021, 01:23:57 AM »
I think Buckaroo Lou is talking about different "scratches" than others.  Specifically that maching process was threading the frame for the barrel.

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2021, 02:13:35 PM »

IF looking closely, the marks referenced aren't "scratches."  they are small "gouges" from a miss-aligned or chattering machine tool.

Brass does NOT scratch or dent steel.

Stay Safe Out There

Offline Buckaroo Lou

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2021, 02:26:14 PM »
I specifically asked the OP in a previous comment if he was referring to the marks left by the up and down movement of the lifter and he immediately replied in a following comment that was precisely what he was talking about. I suppose there can be and sometimes are marks left on the inside of the receiver when it is threaded for attaching the barrel and that may be what he is actually referring to. In either case they are not a problem.

Here are a couple of photos of the marks I am referring to. Looks like surface rub or scratch marks to me and they are caused by the up and down movement of the brass lifter. They are not gouges nor are they deep scratches but they are surface abrasions caused by the lifter. Possibly could be dust particles that get trapped between the lifter and receiver.

Offline DeaconKC

• Retired Predator Hunter
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 110215
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4669
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2021, 02:36:09 PM »
Buckaroo Lou, that is terrible! All those mean ol' scratches. You need to send that gun to Deacon's Home for Scratched Rifles. I will care for it.
SASS DeaconKC
The Deacon AZSA
BOLD 1088
RATS 739
STORM 448
Driver for Howard, Fine & Howard
Veterinary & Taxidermy Clinic
"Either way, you get your dog back"

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2021, 02:38:32 PM »
I specifically asked the OP in a previous comment if he was referring to the marks left by the up and down movement of the lifter and he immediately replied in a following comment that was precisely what he was talking about. ...

Right.  But still a failure to communicate, I think.  Because he did also mention earlier that the scratches were only the width of the chamber, plus there were no arrows in the pic to pinpoint it.

Offline greyhawk

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 49
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2021, 08:41:54 PM »
I have a Miroku made Browning model 71 - (bought late 1980's I think) - the external finish was superb - internal machining and finish ? I would say second rate considering the external looks and price paid.
Seems like the factory focus has not altered much in thirty years. ? 

Offline Severo Gallegos

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2021, 05:24:18 AM »
Yes it was those gouges that I was referring to, sorry about misreading your question Buckaroo Lou. Anyway, I dont feel that those gouges bother me at all now when Ive understood they dont interfere with the function of the rifle.

Offline Severo Gallegos

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2021, 12:32:20 PM »
I have one more question, would it be a good idea to wipe off the factory grease from the toggle link action parts and lube it with gun oil, or should I just leave the factory grease as already applied?

Offline degoins

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2021, 06:24:54 AM »
I'd leave it.

Offline Severo Gallegos

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2021, 07:06:13 AM »
I have discovered this long scratch mark in the toggle link as seen in this photo. I think that it looks like just a scratch on the surface, what do you think? Should I be worried? Is it possible that it is a fracture?

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: April 17, 2021, 11:20:45 AM »

:)  S Gallegos   ;)

Just scratches.  Nothing to be concerned about.  However, I built Competition Toggle Link rifles for CAS for over two decades.  When completing an "Action Job" where the customer wished a basically stock action, I polished the sides of the Links.  A very FLAT surface.  220 Grit Wet/Dry, scrub the links in a figure eight.  When they look nice, same arrangement only using 1000 Grit Wet/Dry to get a mirror finish.  This is done as the link often rides against the inside of the side plates.  Rough surfaces create drag.  Often the inside of the side plates displayed machine marks that could be felt.  I also polished those marks out.  It DOES make a difference.

Also, Polish the sides of the Bolt Lug (rear of bolt) and eliminate any sharp edges.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com