Author Topic: Trouble  (Read 5310 times)

Offline King Medallion

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 14753
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 165
Re: Trouble
« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2021, 07:46:43 AM »
That would be awesome! PM on the way!
Thank you!
King Medallion

Offline King Medallion

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: April 12, 2021, 09:40:40 AM »
Just ordered my first mold, an Accurate 51-350CL, 2 cavity.
King Medallion

Offline Black River Smith

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 36
« Reply #22 on: April 12, 2021, 07:32:16 PM »
Good for you.  Went to website and looked up the design.  Looks like it will work for ya, since they labelled it for the 50/95.

Good luck, it can be fun and relaxing. 
Black River Smith

Advertising

« Reply #23 on: Today at 02:44:04 PM »

Offline greyhawk

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 49
« Reply #23 on: April 14, 2021, 04:32:45 AM »
Just ordered my first mold, an Accurate 51-350CL, 2 cavity.

Questions
1) What is your brass? -(348 based stuff - 50 alaskan etc is smaller rim diameter than the old original specs)
so 2) where is the base of the case in relation to the extractor and bottom tab as you cycle forwards? (thinking here that a smaller diameter rim could allow the round to hang down a little as it rests on the tab and then its skewey going in the chamber ?

just a thought - its a big fat near straight wall case - not gonna feed as easy as the others with more taper (like the others I would be looking to blame boolit nose shape first though)

(The bottom of the chamber on my 45/75 has quite a noticeable chamfer on the bottom edge) - maybe all around?   

Offline King Medallion

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: April 14, 2021, 04:51:40 AM »
Its Jamison 50/95 virgin brass. Can't tell you the rest right now, at work.
King Medallion

Offline greyhawk

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 49
« Reply #25 on: April 14, 2021, 05:30:14 PM »
Its Jamison 50/95 virgin brass. Can't tell you the rest right now, at work.

more'n likely made correct original size - if so my theory is no help (like a lot of theories eh?  :)

Offline ndnchf

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #26 on: April 26, 2021, 06:09:27 AM »
KM - How did those bullets I sent you work out?  Does it cycle better?
"We're all travelers in this world.  From the sweet grass to the packing house, birth till death, we travel between the eternities"  Prentiss Ritter, Broken Trail

Offline King Medallion

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: April 26, 2021, 06:45:29 AM »
Haven't tried them yet, on the road getting home today from a hog hunt. I'll get on them this week!
King Medallion

Offline ndnchf

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: April 26, 2021, 06:56:07 AM »
Ok, hope they help!
"We're all travelers in this world.  From the sweet grass to the packing house, birth till death, we travel between the eternities"  Prentiss Ritter, Broken Trail

Offline King Medallion

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: April 29, 2021, 12:41:29 PM »
Made a couple dummy rounds with these Rapine 350 bullets. They feed! However, something is still not right. Sometimes the bolt appears to bind on the carrier. Other times the shell gets caught kittycorner coming out of the tube. I'm thinking a trip for an action job will be necessary. I'm going to powder up a few of these bullets to try at the range.
King Medallion

Offline King Medallion

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #30 on: April 30, 2021, 05:41:42 PM »
Took this thing out and shot it for the 1st time today. I used the 1st loads I made of Trail Boss and the Blue Falcon 276gr rfn bullets. They don't feed worth a hoot, but the first 2 shot ok (missed the bowling pin out there about 50 or so yards. 3rd round jammed up tight because the 4th round followed the 3rd out of the tube. Had to use a key to push the 4th round back into the tube, and while doing so the 3rd rounds bullet got push back into the case. (There is no crimp groove in these bullets.) All in all rather disappointed so far, something ain't right and I don't know what or how to fix it. At least it went BANG when the trigger got squeezed, so there's that.
King Medallion

Offline ndnchf

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #31 on: April 30, 2021, 06:02:46 PM »
Did those small bullets still allow for proper overall length?

Offline King Medallion

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #32 on: April 30, 2021, 06:21:11 PM »
They are short enough, but there is something else going on. The bolt seems like its binding on the carrier, shells coming out of the tube more than one at a time.
King Medallion

Offline ndnchf

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #33 on: April 30, 2021, 06:26:13 PM »
I was thinking they may be too short. But if something is binding, you may need to take it apart to see what's going on. There may just be a burr somewhere.

Offline King Medallion

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #34 on: April 30, 2021, 06:29:16 PM »
I think so too. I will try that, see what I can find.
King Medallion

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1180
« Reply #35 on: April 30, 2021, 11:26:13 PM »
Yeah, that did sound sort of like too short of a cartridge for the "double feed".  If you can load one round through the loading gate and it feeds fine, but loading two makes it jam, then the round is too short (determined by the location of the ramp on the front of the carrier).  Does the binding you mention occur with the gun empty or only when trying to chamber ammo?

Offline King Medallion

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #36 on: May 01, 2021, 12:02:21 AM »
When chambering a round
King Medallion

Offline ndnchf

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #37 on: May 01, 2021, 05:08:32 AM »
Does the brass have any scratches on it after cycling? New rifles often have a lot of sharp edges, burrs and even remsining machining debris. If the brass is dragging across a sharp edge. It could feel like binding. Look at your brass (and bullets) with a magnifier for evidence of this.

I may be wrong, but I'm thinking that a teardown of the action is in order. Clean, deburr, polish and lubricate everything. Somewhere I have an article about tuning up a '76. But it's essentially the same process as a '73. There are quite a few online guides on how to do it. The single most important thing is properly fitted screwdrivers.

Online Slamfire

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 61
« Reply #38 on: May 01, 2021, 10:52:28 AM »
 PM sent .

coffee's ready ,, Hootmix.

Offline King Medallion

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #39 on: May 01, 2021, 11:14:19 AM »
Thanks guy's, for all your suggestions. I'll take it apart and have a look see. I've got a hammer/chisel, even a couple stones. Yes, the brass is getting scratched up a bit. I've watched a couple vid's on youtube on gunsmithing the 76, so I'll be revisiting them also. Those light weight Blue Falcon bullets appeared to be hanging up on the brass while chambering. I think because there is no crimp groove in those bullets. I'll play with it when time allows. I can always load/shoot them single shot to get rid of them.
King Medallion

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com