Author Topic: Remington 'Bisley' Conversion  (Read 2477 times)

Offline Tinker Pearce

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Remington 'Bisley' Conversion
« on: April 30, 2020, 08:53:49 AM »
The other week I finished this project- an 1858 repro with a 'Bisley-like' grip and a lowered hammer-spur. It's chambered in .44 Colt (using .451 heel-base bullets.) Finish is rust blued, grips are Bolivian Rosewood. Barrel-length is 3-3/4 inches.  I cut and welded the grip-frame, adding a short extension for my large hand, then made the custom grips. I found a slightly oversized cylinder and modified it, turning down the back and boring it through. It includes a step the thickness of the cartridge-rim to provide a stand-off for the breech-plate. The breech-plate is 4140, and has a rebounding firing-pin. The modified loading lever has a catch installed that engages a groove in the head of the cylinder-pin to hold the lever in place and retain the cylinder pin. I installed a bronze front sight for good visibility in a variety of light conditions. The gun has a loading port, but like the early factory Remington conversions there is no gate.

The new grip-shape is comfortable and points naturally for me. I haven't been able to shoot it much, and then only at five yards, but the gun is quite accurate at that range, easily producing one-hole groups.

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
Re: Remington 'Bisley' Conversion
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2020, 10:54:34 AM »

:D   Abra Ka Dabra    ;D

WOWZERS Tinker!!  That is one swell Remington.  Not just a "Conversion" either.  One super nifty re-configuration.  Amazing what ya kan do with a forge, Sledgehammer, anna file    ::)   Really nice job.

Offline Professor Marvel

• purveyor of useless items to the gentry
  • American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • learn from the past, or be doomed to repeat it
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1118
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2020, 05:08:25 PM »
Ah My Dear Tinker -

You've done it again! Excellent work , as always , and a beautiful example of "outside the box" thinking to change up the Remmy design to suit yourself.
What maker was the doaner pistole' ?

I really like your latch design, as it affords more flexibility in barrel length, whilst maintaining a solid cylinder rod, and opens up many possibilities for
visual mods, like your all brass "remmington 1858 Smoot"

TINKERS BRASS SMOOT LIKE PISTOLE

and of course your "pocket remington bulldog"

TINKERS REMINGTON BULLDOG

perhaps one day you might do a snubnose remington omnipotent?

yhs
and ardent admirerer

(in a good and wholesome way, just liking what you build and wishing I could do work that nice
not like that stalker that sets up a little "alter" in the hidden closet and plasters it with photos taken from far away with a telephoto lens...
hmmmm I should cut back on the caffiene and stop watching those detective shows .... '
oh did i actually type  that out loud?
ohoh)

prof (trying desparatey to be funny on caffienee) marbles
Your Humble Servant
~~~~~Professor Algernon Horatio Ubiquitous Marvel The First~~~~~~
President, CEO, Chairman,  and Chief Bottle Washer of

Professor Marvel's
Traveling Apothecary
and
Fortune Telling Emporium

Acclaimed By The Crowned Heads of Europe
Purveyor of Patent Remedies, Snake Oil, Powder, Percussion Caps, Cleaning Supplies, Dry Goods,
and
Picture Postcards

Offering Unwanted Advice for All Occasions
and
Providing Useless Items to the Gentry
Since 1822
[
Available by Appointment for Lectures on Any Topic

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 11:23:47 AM »

Offline Tinker Pearce

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2020, 09:09:40 PM »
Thanks Gentlemen!  More projects in the works... and a surplus of time...

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com